Dixie 42 Highlands 12 (Frosh)

RoadRunner

First, I hope for the best for the Highlands players injured during the game. As a parent, I don't want to see any kid helped on the field, let alone driven away in an ambulance. Prayers with those young birds on speedy and complete recoveries.

Now, to the plays in question above, particularly what has been labeled as an onside kick. Some facts for those who weren't there but that haven't yet been posted:

1) Highlands had already run a kick off back for a score

2) I watched the tape, and the kick was fifteen yards down the field, and the Highlands player received the ball 7-8 yards away from the closest Dixie player, and

3) My boys, who play for Dixie, said it was a called squib kick.

The HB (by the way his name is Drake Bruns #10) pass is what it is, but too much is being made about an "onside" kick that wasn't. Have your fun if you want, but I will never stand by and watch the mob mentality distort the facts.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I hope for the best for the Highlands players injured during the game. As a parent, I don't want to see any kid helped on the field, let alone driven away in an ambulance. Prayers with those young birds on speedy and complete recoveries.

Now, to the plays in question above, particularly what has been labeled as an onside kick. Some facts for those who weren't there but that haven't yet been posted:

1) Highlands had already run a kick off back for a score

2) I watched the tape, and the kick was fifteen yards down the field, and the Highlands player received the ball 7-8 yards away from the closest Dixie player, and

3) My boys, who play for Dixie, said it was a called squib kick.

The HB (by the way his name is Drake Bruns #10) pass is what it is, but too much is being made about an "onside" kick that wasn't. Have your fun if you want, but I will never stand by and watch the mob mentality distort the facts.

I hear ya. Heck, we squib kicked the ball the whole night in 2006 to Cov-Cath becuase we were afraid of a runback. What it did do was backfire against us. They had a kicker that could kick a 75-80 yard field goal. Shame on us!!!! Anyway, my complaint is against the imfamous(is what it is)play. So in the future i can use that line when someone says, Dale called a play and it went for 99 yards and a TD with 1 second on the clock. He did break 27 tackles along the way though.:thumb:

Edited by BoomGoesTheCannon

You can save it pal. So explain what happened at the end of a game. Ohhhh we were just seeing if this one triple reverse statue of liberty play would work. Give me a break already. So measure this, a cream of the crop program would never do what your freshman coach did tonight. Savor it because that chance to do it again will never happen at the varsity level. You can Bank it

Look, Highlands is no saint. They've done plenty of the stuff over the years that you're crying about now. What's next? Taking it to the youth leagues? Give ME a break.

I hear ya bud. Heck, we squib kicked the ball the whole night in 2006 to Cov-Cath becuase we were afraid of a runback. What it did do was backfire against us. They had a kicker that could kick a 75-80 yard field goal. Shame on us!!!! Anyway, my complaint is against the imfamous(is what it is)play. So in the future i can use that line when someone says, Dale called a play and it went for 99 yards and a TD with 1 second on the clock. He did break 27 tackles along the way though.:thumb:

Hey, it is what it is!!!!!!:laugh:

They had a kicker that could kick a 75-80 yard field goal.

Speaking of whom, Shane Popham had two field goals in the Wake Forest victory over Clemson tonight. I was told that he also missed a couple, but I missed a lot of the first half. (I was watching Conner and Ryle.)

First game. Nationally televised audience. I think we can forgive him some jitters.;)

Speaking of whom, Shane Popham had two field goals in the Wake Forest victory over Clemson tonight. I was told that he also missed a couple, but I missed a lot of the first half. (I was watching Conner and Ryle.)

First game. Nationally televised audience. I think we can forgive him some jitters.;)

That's Awesome!!!! Congrats Shane

I've got no problem with the halfback pass or onside kick. You've got to play hard the entire game up or down 30. Hopefully the Baby Birds remember how they felt tonight and work to make sure they don't experience it again. They've got some nice players on the team, they'll be ok.

Bingo.

Although I was a little surprised by the calls. The last thing any program in N. Ky ever needs to do is give the Birds a little extra motivation heading into a game. Probably wasn't a real smart thing to do.

But again, nice win by Dixie. Very impressive.

First off, everyone needs to keep the Highlands player that went out in the life squad in their thoughts. Whether you like HHS or not, no one likes to see that happen.

As for the game, Dixie played intense and agressive football from the first whistle to the last, and really controlled the LOS. HHS did seem to get a little redundant on offense, but let's be honest, their Varsity doesn't have the deepest playbook in the world either, they are just VERY good at what they do. HHS has some very nice young players that will be great Varsity players for them in the years to come. In particular, hats off to #6 for HHS, he made a nice tiptoe up the sidelines on the long pass, and showed great speed on the Kickoff return.

As I stated above, Dixie won this game on the line, and their offensive and defensive lines played very well.

As for the reverse pass.........

I would say that the game wasn't in question at that point, but maybe that was a statement that Dixie hasn't forgotten all the times that has happened to them over the years. And it should be noted that Dixie did get the ball back and ended the game by taking a knee.

As for the "on-side" kick..........

This was a poor attempt at a squib. No malacious intent there. At the end of the day they are freshman, and they do make mistakes.

HHS played hard, but Dixie was better tonight. Better enjoy it while you can Dixie, because I can guarantee you that the next time you see them, they will be a different team.

Good for Dixie! I agree that HHS "had it coming". Lesson learned and noted for sure. Glad to see young Jason Waldenmeyer was on his toes and ready for the "squib" kick (and I DID hear a Dixie coach saying that it was NOT an onside attempt...wink,wink,nod,nod!). Dixie's O-D lines just dominated the Birds. Hope all the injured return quickly.