Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should Harlan Co be 3A or 5A?

Featured Replies

FWIW, Harlan County was in the original 6 class alignment in a 6A district with GRC, Madison Central, Scott County, and Shelby County...

  • Replies 129
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who approves or allows any new program to compete in any given class? KHSAA? Is it impossible to schedule games in your own class for a program's first year? Why not compete in the correct class the first year if the enrollment calls for it? By the way, I wish HCHS the best! Just wandering.

They should be 3A this year and then 5A next season.

FWIW, Harlan County was in the original 6 class alignment in a 6A district with GRC, Madison Central, Scott County, and Shelby County...

 

Whoever did that from the start had to be absolutely out of their mind at the time!!:lol:

Whatever class they are in this year or will be in next year, it does not matter to those boys. If they had to play 10 friday nights in a row against Louisville teams, I don't think the players or coaches would care. Those boys will be ready. However, if they dominate 3A this year, it may become a cloud over them. I wish they were able to start in their correct class.

Whoever did that from the start had to be absolutely out of their mind at the time!!:lol:

 

I agree and am glad it didn't work out that way....Shelbyville to Harlan is 3.5 hours...

I agree and am glad it didn't work out that way....Shelbyville to Harlan is 3.5 hours...

 

Yes, but I remember getting out of class early for the far off away games. It was great! :ylsuper:

First off I think it is foolish to say punish the kids or the school system. I agree it is unfair, but most schools play non district games out of their class so what is the big deal! If the KHSAA would have tried to plan around when the school was going to open and plan a football schedule due to a guess you could bet your bottom dollar the school wouldn't have opened on time and then you would have had the three schools that consolidated without a schedule. With all the troulbe we had here dealing with consolidation I'm positive that sports was the furthest thing from the school boards mind.

Things have been dealt with the best they could have. We are playing Letcher Central our first game a 5A school. We are playing Cawood schedule which is a 3A schedule that has at least two 1A schools on it. They aren't gripping about playing up two classes and actually with the size of the school they are playing up 4 classes. Again no it's not fair but some schools are just better than others, a Harlan County school hasn't beat Bell County in years but we don't complain becuase they are better than us we want to play them. I hate to say it but I believe it with all my heart to be the best you have to play the best. A little competition never hurt anyone. Only 1 team off our 10 game schedule has complained about playing us. Get over it and play football. There is just no easy way to fix this problem.

 

We have a class system though. The reason being to keep the playing field fair between teams. Non district games are to keep up old rivalries, and bring in more income. So by your statement I am assuming that you feel Kentucky should just go to a 1 class system? If that were to happen noone will have a gripe. However, then schools who consolidate will have no choice but to sit out. All the schedules will be full for that year. I would not like to see the seniors at HC have to sit out a year. I also would not like to see a true 3A team robbed of a state championship again, or even a playoff victory. HC should be banned from post season. They can still play a full 10 game schedule if they can fill it. I'd hate that for the seniors, but noone to blame but the people behind the consolidation. If it was truly necassary for the schools in Harlan to do so, then it seems like a small sacrifice in my eyes to better the education of those kids, and kids of HC in the future.

 

You cannot justify punishing the seniors of all the other 3A schools who have nothing to do with HC.

I just think if HC runs away with the 3A

 

Isn't Louisville Central 3A? If so, I think the road to the title goes through them. They gave Highlands all they could handle last year. I don't see HC running away with anything.

  • Author
First off I think it is foolish to say punish the kids or the school system. I agree it is unfair, but most schools play non district games out of their class so what is the big deal! If the KHSAA would have tried to plan around when the school was going to open and plan a football schedule due to a guess you could bet your bottom dollar the school wouldn't have opened on time and then you would have had the three schools that consolidated without a schedule. With all the troulbe we had here dealing with consolidation I'm positive that sports was the furthest thing from the school boards mind.

Things have been dealt with the best they could have. We are playing Letcher Central our first game a 5A school. We are playing Cawood schedule which is a 3A schedule that has at least two 1A schools on it. They aren't gripping about playing up two classes and actually with the size of the school they are playing up 4 classes. Again no it's not fair but some schools are just better than others, a Harlan County school hasn't beat Bell County in years but we don't complain becuase they are better than us we want to play them. I hate to say it but I believe it with all my heart to be the best you have to play the best. A little competition never hurt anyone. Only 1 team off our 10 game schedule has complained about playing us. Get over it and play football. There is just no easy way to fix this problem.

 

 

I don't think anyone here is complaining about the difficulty or lack thereof regarding your schedule. The point is....Harlan Co should not be competing for the 3A championship. You're simply not a 3A school.

 

That's the point. We all realize teams throughout the season will play up and down in terms of class.....but come playoff time......All teams return to their respective districts, regions and CLASS affiiliation.

 

This point is not about "Who's better"......it's about fairness and equality.

 

It's just amazing that the KHSAA once again finds themselves in this position.:confused:

  • Author
FWIW, Harlan County was in the original 6 class alignment in a 6A district with GRC, Madison Central, Scott County, and Shelby County...

 

Unfortunately....despite the distance.....that's where they should have stayed.

 

If not....then they should have been banned from postseason play...

  • Author
Whatever class they are in this year or will be in next year, it does not matter to those boys. If they had to play 10 friday nights in a row against Louisville teams, I don't think the players or coaches would care. Those boys will be ready. However, if they dominate 3A this year, it may become a cloud over them. I wish they were able to start in their correct class.

 

No...it'll be a hail storm...

There will be no clouds or storms or rain or hail if Harlan County dominates 3A. There'll be a parade and a big program at the new gym and no one will care if anyone else is crying about it. Mercer County doesn't feel bad about its accomplishments I'm sure.

 

This is a lot of moaning and gnashing of teeth about nothing though. As the Breathitt County fan said, how to do you expect to have a great team from three bad teams. Winning a playoff game would be a positive step.

Edited by HDE

I don't think anyone here is complaining about the difficulty or lack thereof regarding your schedule. The point is....Harlan Co should not be competing for the 3A championship. You're simply not a 3A school.

 

That's the point. We all realize teams throughout the season will play up and down in terms of class.....but come playoff time......All teams return to their respective districts, regions and CLASS affiiliation.

 

This point is not about "Who's better"......it's about fairness and equality.

 

It's just amazing that the KHSAA once again finds themselves in this position.:confused:

 

 

So should Highlands be competing for a 5A title? They aren't really 5A.

 

For all the complaints I hear about this one year anomaly I never hear that the cry should be, "bring it on." There are numerous programs that win or have won playing up a class against higher enrolled teams. Higher enrollment guarantees nothing, it provides depth more than anything.

 

I again also ask what the KHSAA should do differently.

 

Place them immediately in the higher class? Okay. Who will be in that district and how will they schedule?

 

The reality is that there is no "fair or equitable" solution.

 

To do one thing (ban HC from post season) definitely hurts one group of kids (HC Seniors).

 

To do the other (keep it the way it is this year in the current cycle) only potentially makes it unfair and/or hurts another group of kids (Seniors of other 3A schools).

 

I would be surprised to see Harlan pull a "Mercer County" type swing through the season and playoffs.

There will be no clouds or storms or rain or hail if Harlan County dominates 3A. There'll be a parade and a big program at the new gym and no one will care if anyone else is crying about it. Mercer County doesn't feel bad about its accomplishments I'm sure.

 

This is a lot of moaning and gnashing of teeth about nothing though. As the Breathitt County fan, how to do you expect to have a great team from three bad teams. Winning a playoff game would be a positive step.

 

I couldn't agree more with you HDE. Harlan County didn't make the rules. I can tell you all that IF Harlan County runs away and dominates 3A, I will be tickled pink and will stand out in the rain, hail or whatever and be as fine as frog hair split four ways!

 

Realistically, Harlan County will have a very difficult time competing in their district and a deep run in the playoffs is highly unlikely. Remember, as someone already noted, that Cawood, Evarts and Cumberland are terrible. We are building for the future and this season is step in that process. No need to worry about us.lol GO BLACK BEARS!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.