Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should Harlan Co be 3A or 5A?

Featured Replies

I agree... its just I have seen the ho-hum attitude from some as "We're here..it's fair...nothing's wrong".

 

I can see where you sre coming from, I think it has a lot to do with that there are so many threads and discussion about Harlan County, it is almost overboard with the other fans on this site. It is just a lot of excited people that hasn't been excited in a long time, myself included.

  • Replies 129
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the teams in Harlan County's real district not know that Harlan was going to open this year?

 

I wasn't affiliated with any of those teams in their district last year but I heard and knew about it, I'm sure they did as well. It wasn't a secret, the only secret I think was that no one knew what the mascot was going to be.:lol:

  • Author
Probably the same if Belfry was put in class 5A, the cries would be the same. No one is saying that these 3A schools don't have an argument or can't say that the enrollment numbers are unfair, however, there was nothing that could be presently done. You offered a good solution about the KHSAA looking into these things years before.

 

 

See that's the whole point of this issue......Everyone...especially the KHSAA knew this was coming. This has been under way for 3+years...and their best case scenario is to put them into 3A........

 

Yeah...that's a great solution.

For the record... if you think the Mercer and Harlan County consolidations have been ugly..just be glad you aren't affiliated with Mingo County, WV... this consolidation has been in the works for close to 6 or 7 years and they STILL haven't broke ground. In the time frame the State has taken over the school district TWICE and on three or four occasions the process was blocked by petitioning parents

I don't think any of really know what goes on when beginning to open up a new school, I mean I'm sure there is a timetable but things very seldom work out the way they were planned. The KHSAA in their defense doens't have the manpower or budget to get into things this far ahead, especially when the word "recruiting" is thrown at them multiple times on a daily basis. It boils down to the budget and finances, they aren't going to investigate for 3-4 years on a school when things are happening in the present. Right or Wrong that is the situation.

I can see where you sre coming from, I think it has a lot to do with that there are so many threads and discussion about Harlan County, it is almost overboard with the other fans on this site. It is just a lot of excited people that hasn't been excited in a long time, myself included.

 

We haven't had a whole heck of alot to be excited about in years. The whole consolidation process has been a fight. Wondering who was gonna get what coaching job, who was gonna be hired for this position or that one, and I wonder if the kids from one certain school or the other are gonna have preferential treatment, wonder if this kid or that one will transfer because of the consolidation, ect.....it's kinda been like living in a pressure cooker here in Harlan. FINALLY they have the school built and it really is gonna happen. It's been a long time coming.

 

We adults are trying to set the example for the kids that we can work together and get along. Football happens before school starts. These boys have the opportunity to set the tone for the rest of the student body. There's nothing more exciting for a community than to get together and cheer for your home team. Now Harlan County has ONE team to cheer for. IF our enthusiasm is over the top or regarded as some kind of arrogance, I apologize for all of us. I don't understand why we are playing 3A teams this year. If the shoe were on the other foot, we'd probably be griping about it. I don't know to what extent because we are just glad to be where we are.

I think that hiring someone that is success and someone who would be percieved by ALL to be impartial was very important.

 

This football team and the football games are about more than just football. Again if our enthusiasm is offensive, then please forgive. We are happy that things are going so well. We've got a community working together. Do I realistically think that our football team could win the state? Not really. Even more than that, I think most of us really just want to see the kids get along and FEEL successful.

 

Is it fair? Nope.

^Not sure why my statement was quoted because I am in agreement with you. I was just pointing out that in my seven years on this site, too much of something could get agitating amongst other fans. Do I care, not really but I was just pointing that out because each of us are paying members and can start a thread on what we like. But just so you know how people will perceive us in Harlan, the more talk and more success on here will get some people feeling left out.

 

What is your top ten Mama Bear?

I wasn't affiliated with any of those teams in their district last year but I heard and knew about it, I'm sure they did as well. It wasn't a secret, the only secret I think was that no one knew what the mascot was going to be.:lol:

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just think if HC runs away with the 3A, that it will be bad for Kentucky football, just like when Mercer Co. did it. I have absolutely nothing against HC.

I still think if the school can't get into its proper class, then they should be banned from post-season play. You ask "Why punish the kids because of the school districts decisions?" Why punish the kids in every other 3A school? That's who is getting punished now. Kids who have no affiliation to HC, and probably have never been there are now punished. If the consolidation was so desperately needed, then sitting out one post season of football shouldn't be so much of a sacrifice. HC just wants its shot at being another Mercer Co. They know with the level of football in 5A, it will be tough for them to even sniff Papa John's stadium. So take advantage of a loophole and try and win state when your kids more than double the number of kids at the other schools in the class.

 

P.S. I thnk if the KHSAA was to put HC in the right class. Other schools would probably do more than bend over backwards to make sure they had a schedule filled out and got their district games in. Either way I don't think it will matter this year. Belfry or Russell will win by 21+ over HC.

Don't think anyone in 3A including Belfry or Russell will beat Harlan County by 21 plus.

I still think if the school can't get into its proper class, then they should be banned from post-season play. You ask "Why punish the kids because of the school districts decisions?" Why punish the kids in every other 3A school? That's who is getting punished now. Kids who have no affiliation to HC, and probably have never been there are now punished. If the consolidation was so desperately needed, then sitting out one post season of football shouldn't be so much of a sacrifice. HC just wants its shot at being another Mercer Co. They know with the level of football in 5A, it will be tough for them to even sniff Papa John's stadium. So take advantage of a loophole and try and win state when your kids more than double the number of kids at the other schools in the class.

 

P.S. I thnk if the KHSAA was to put HC in the right class. Other schools would probably do more than bend over backwards to make sure they had a schedule filled out and got their district games in. Either way I don't think it will matter this year. Belfry or Russell will win by 21+ over HC.

 

I'm confused. You first say don't punish non Harlan County kids and then you say punish the Seniors to be from these Harlan County schools by making them ineligible.

 

I find it laughable everytime when I hear people speak of a consolidation in terms of "they did it to have a good shot at a state title." Consolidation takes place because of money, plain and simple. There is not enough money to keep the same number of schools open and so they are consolidated. The very LAST thing on a school board's mind in these issues is how the sports team will fare.

I'm confused. You first say don't punish non Harlan County kids and then you say punish the Seniors to be from these Harlan County schools by making them ineligible.

 

I find it laughable everytime when I hear people speak of a consolidation in terms of "they did it to have a good shot at a state title." Consolidation takes place because of money, plain and simple. There is not enough money to keep the same number of schools open and so they are consolidated. The very LAST thing on a school board's mind in these issues is how the sports team will fare.

 

With all due respect, when Mercer consolidated the sports thing wasn't the first thing on their mind, but it sure as heck wasn't the last thing. :sssh:

With all due respect, when Mercer consolidated the sports thing wasn't the first thing on their mind, but it sure as heck wasn't the last thing. :sssh:

 

How many board members did you talk to?

 

Come on EKU, fans of Mercer might have felt that way but I can tell you a lot of Harrodsburg alum did not go "quietly into that good night." My only guess is you have never been around a school system or community that has gone through consolidation. :sssh:

How many board members did you talk to?

 

Come on EKU, fans of Mercer might have felt that way but I can tell you a lot of Harrodsburg alum did not go "quietly into that good night." My only guess is you have never been around a school system or community that has gone through consolidation. :sssh:

 

Your guess is throroughly and utterly incorrect.... and who's to say I didn't get closer to the Mercer County consolidation than you'd think :sssh:

 

There is no point discussing Mercer County anymore... it's over. But let's just say that the athletic benefits of consolidation was definately welcome with some powers to be.

First off I think it is foolish to say punish the kids or the school system. I agree it is unfair, but most schools play non district games out of their class so what is the big deal! If the KHSAA would have tried to plan around when the school was going to open and plan a football schedule due to a guess you could bet your bottom dollar the school wouldn't have opened on time and then you would have had the three schools that consolidated without a schedule. With all the troulbe we had here dealing with consolidation I'm positive that sports was the furthest thing from the school boards mind.

Things have been dealt with the best they could have. We are playing Letcher Central our first game a 5A school. We are playing Cawood schedule which is a 3A schedule that has at least two 1A schools on it. They aren't gripping about playing up two classes and actually with the size of the school they are playing up 4 classes. Again no it's not fair but some schools are just better than others, a Harlan County school hasn't beat Bell County in years but we don't complain becuase they are better than us we want to play them. I hate to say it but I believe it with all my heart to be the best you have to play the best. A little competition never hurt anyone. Only 1 team off our 10 game schedule has complained about playing us. Get over it and play football. There is just no easy way to fix this problem.

Edited by Uncle Rico
spelling

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.