Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should Harlan Co be 3A or 5A?

Featured Replies

The Black Bears are being put in a lose-lose situation as it is becasue if they go far or win many games they cheated the system, others will say they have no credibility, a tainted season, etc. If they lose a lot of games people will say that they should've won more and cannot beleive a 5A didn't win the state and give them a hard time for not winning more.

  • Replies 129
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Black Bears are being put in a lose-lose situation as it is becasue if they go far or win many games they cheated the system, others will say they have no credibility, a tainted season, etc. If they lose a lot of games people will say that they should've won more and cannot beleive a 5A didn't win the state and give them a hard time for not winning more.

 

3wishes, I see your point but all that matters is what the Bear Nation thinks about their season. I can tell you people understand things take time and if we win the state how great that would be to start out with a bang. If we have so-so season it was just part of the journey to greatness. If we lose every game it still will be a step in the right direction. The Bear Nation loves the Bears, Coach Larkey and the whole 9-yards. Why else would we be watching 2-pigs cook, playing corn-hole and having fellowship in a parking lot on a friday night. Go Bears!

3wishes, I see your point but all that matters is what the Bear Nation thinks about their season. I can tell you people understand things take time and if we win the state how great that would be to start out with a bang. If we have so-so season it was just part of the journey to greatness. If we lose every game it still will be a step in the right direction. The Bear Nation loves the Bears, Coach Larkey and the whole 9-yards. Why else would we be watching 2-pigs cook, playing corn-hole and having fellowship in a parking lot on a friday night. Go Bears!

 

Boy those pigs smell good cooking, our first taste of tailgating I guess, looks like we are on the right track.

Someone posted that they consolidated this year just for sports and to win a state title BUT they have no football field. That is just silly thinking to me. Some have said that the Black Bear Nation is cocky but we are only excited.

 

Now to the issue. I don't have a lot to say about should they be in 3A or should they be in 5A because it is a mute point now BUT I can say this, those kids could care less what people across the state thinks. They are out there to win and if a state title comes with it they will never think anything about them being in 3A. I am a huge Black Bear supporter but I am realistic also and I don't think me or anyone else from Black Bear Nation is crowning us 3A state champs. We will play one game at a time and enjoy every minute of it because a new era, a new beginning has started in Harlan County. I have lived in this county for almost 60 years and I have NEVER seen this much excitement in this county. Those of you outside Harlan County would never understand because for years and years we have fought here against ourselves but I can see a big change happening and that is why all the excitement is going on.

Why is it that Cooper, a brand new high school, was able to be put in a district, and play a varsity schedule without problem?

 

One, they asked to be placed in 6A. Two, neither they nor the KHSAA had at the time the decision was made any where close to a firm and accurate estimate as to what the enrollment would be. Since they asked to be placed in 6A due to geographic reasons, they were placed there.

Someone posted that they consolidated this year just for sports and to win a state title BUT they have no football field. That is just silly thinking to me. Some have said that the Black Bear Nation is cocky but we are only excited.

 

Now to the issue. I don't have a lot to say about should they be in 3A or should they be in 5A because it is a mute point now BUT I can say this, those kids could care less what people across the state thinks. They are out there to win and if a state title comes with it they will never think anything about them being in 3A. I am a huge Black Bear supporter but I am realistic also and I don't think me or anyone else from Black Bear Nation is crowning us 3A state champs. We will play one game at a time and enjoy every minute of it because a new era, a new beginning has started in Harlan County. I have lived in this county for almost 60 years and I have NEVER seen this much excitement in this county. Those of you outside Harlan County would never understand because for years and years we have fought here against ourselves but I can see a big change happening and that is why all the excitement is going on.

 

:thumb:

Harlan County has no business playing 3A football.....Unfortunately, we may witness another Mercer Co travesty....

 

It has to do with the two year contract deals ,shedule, and existing classes. I see where you are coming from in that it may not be fair to the orginal 3A schools. But we should also be fair to Harlan County and their players. IF you want to be sore at someone then it should be towards KHSAA. Get them to re-class every year and not every two years. Your post should not have Harlan County in it by lets lobbie KHSAA to re-class every year. By the way you would not happen to be from Powell Co. ?

Us Harlan Countians are the ones being called cocky, but it is the people that get on here and complain about us being 3A that mentions winning state. I don't think I have seen a Harlan County post where someone flat out says we are going to win state and dominate. We all are excited and like any fan base expect to be a good team. Just because Mercer won doesn't have a thing to do with us. And I may have missed this but the quote "Harlan County consolidated to win a state championship" That is crazy whomever had that thought may not realize that Evarts and Cumberland High schools were here when they opened the first coal mine!

It is just what side of the situation you are on. Of course, if you are Harlan County players/parents/coaches/fans, you are going to be tickled pink. If you are an opponent, or just a fan of another school, you may not like it. However, if it was your school, and they had a good opportunity to get the school's football program started off on the right foot, then you would be excited as well. It's all about perspective.

 

Besides, Harlan County's biggest competition in their 5A district will be Letcher County Central, whose only loss last regular season came to Hazard (1A school). I believe the Bears would rather play Letcher Central, than Breathitt or Belfry.

It is just what side of the situation you are on. Of course, if you are Harlan County players/parents/coaches/fans, you are going to be tickled pink. If you are an opponent, or just a fan of another school, you may not like it. However, if it was your school, and they had a good opportunity to get the school's football program started off on the right foot, then you would be excited as well. It's all about perspective.

 

Besides, Harlan County's biggest competition in their 5A district will be Letcher County Central, whose only loss last regular season came to Hazard (1A school). I believe the Bears would rather play Letcher Central, than Breathitt or Belfry.

I am a HC Bears fan, but it is hard for me to be tickled pink with Breathitt and Estill in the District and Belfry in your region. I think this season the Bears 3A district will be as good or better than the future 5A. You are talking about 3 teams in your region that could start the season in the top 10. Then you will have two of them (Belfry/Breathitt) that will be top 5. Yes, we will have more students in are school, but these kids have never played together as one team. I do think the Bears have a great chance at winning the district, but they would in 5A also.:D

I am a HC Bears fan, but it is hard for me to be tickled pink with Breathitt and Estill in the District and Belfry in your region. I think this season the Bears 3A district will be as good or better than the future 5A. You are talking about 3 teams in your region that could start the season in the top 10. Then you will have two of them (Belfry/Breathitt) that will be top 5. Yes, we will have more students in are school, but these kids have never played together as one team. I do think the Bears have a great chance at winning the district, but they would in 5A also.:D

 

That was one of the points I was trying to make. We Bear fans are tickled pink to have a chance to make a district run, whether it be in Class 3A or 5A. Personally, I think 5A would be easier.

My team is in their district. This is not right.

Hey Outlaw I know exactly what you are talking about. I lived in Keene Hall my first year at EKU. It was awful when it rained or snowed. My roommate always laughed at me we would head over to campus the same time as this one big guy tall and fat, I would hide behind him to block the wind and rain. Seems like that Alumni Coliseum parking lot got longer everyday. Thank goodness for big guys to keep traffic from splashing you!

 

I lived in Keene Hall in 84. Were you walking to class behind me?:lol:

 

I also was cooking some of that pig friday night...lol.

They had to play somewhere, they are a new team and will be gone to 5A next year. I think a lot of teams in the district will be able to challenge them. We are a "A" school and had to contend with schools coming in and out of the district because they were borderline "AA" and the games were great. Nothing is going to change this year, so I guess make the best of it and they will be gone to their district next year.

So your solution is to put them in 4A where their numbers don't belong either? Doesn't make any sense, but for conversation sake, you tell me the solution to making them go to another class in a 2 year cycle? You say ban them from post season play? 1st of all if they were in another class they wouldn't even have a regular season schedule to get into post season play with. How do you fit them in a district? And you talk about punishing kids at these other schools for having to play them, yet you are fine with punishing the kids at Harlan by not letting them have a chance at the playoffs? Makes no sense, it isn't like the kids are the one's who should be punished for something out of their control. It is call life, it isn't the KHSAA, the players or the parents faults for the alignment. It is just called Life, to be the best beat the best, like other have said before these three schools weren't any good anyway, remember.:rolleyes:

 

:thumb: It is just the way it goes. But I don't think that Harlan Co will do what Mercer did. Mercer came in with Harrodsbur they are a little different than Evarts, Cumberland and Cawood.:rolleyes:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.