Big 12 makes a case to surpass the SEC as the nation's best football conference

colonel-fan

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This season the SEC has given themselves a much more difficult (in comparison to their previous practices) schedule in terms of playing non conference games on the road. I think this will have a very negative impact on the conference's record.

They've been playing some big OOC games for a few years now.

Just off the top of my head, they've played USC, Michigan, Louisville, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Cal. I'm sure there are more.

They've been playing some big OOC games for a few years now.

Just off the top of my head, they've played USC, Michigan, Louisville, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Cal. I'm sure there are more.

I don't see how anyone could question a SEC teams schedule. Tough OOC or not, they are always the best schedules bc of the conference. JMO

Sept. 12, Raymond James Stadium, Tampa. We'll be smoking Jayhawk leg quarters in Lot D on the south east side of the stadium at 5 pm. The rest of the bird will be roasted inside come 8. :banana:

Don't be suprised if UC up ends Oklahoma either. If you think not, remember USF at Auburn last season. :cool:

This season the SEC has given themselves a much more difficult (in comparison to their previous practices) schedule in terms of playing non conference games on the road. I think this will have a very negative impact on the conference's record.

I disagree. The SEC typically plays a difficult out of conference schedule with a few "gimmes" mixed in.

Florida plays Miami (FL) in Week 2.

Arkansas plays Texas in Week 3.

Georgia takes on Arizona St. in Week 4.

Then, there isn't really a tough OOC game until Week 9, when Auburn travels to West Virginia.

Week 14 features some pretty good matchups, as Florida takes on Florida State & Georgia squares off against in-state rival Georgia Tech.

I don't think the SEC's OOC schedule is any tougher than in year's past....

I disagree. The SEC typically plays a difficult out of conference schedule with a few "gimmes" mixed in.
No they typically don't.

Example... last season they played 8 total games on the road in non conference play. For a 12 team conference, that number was disgraceful. Of those road games @UNC, @Cal, @Tulane twice, @Memphis,@WVU, @GT, and a neutral site vs FSU. Take a guess as to which ones they lost. (they lost @Cal @WVU, and vs FSU) In my opinion the only quality win they had was UGA @ GT and having lived in ATL, I'll safely say it is less than a home crowd for GT.

I'm not saying anyone else would have done better, but playing quality opponents on the road creates losses.

This season they play @FSU, @ASU, @UCLA, @UofL, @MiamiOh, @Wake Forest twice, @WVU, neutral vs Clemson and @Clemson, @LouTech, @GT, and @Texas.

Winning more than HALF of these games will be very difficult, and the overall implication of an SEC conference that piles up OOC losses will hurt the leagues perception.

Wait... the last two BCS champions were from the....

The only team to have 2 BCS championships is from the...

The conference with twice as many BCS championships as any other is the...

Right. Wishful thinking by a Big12 writer.

Previous NCAA BCS Champions

NCAA BCS Past Champions

2007 LSU 38, Ohio State 24 BCS Bowl

2006 Florida 41, Ohio State 14 BCS Bowl

2005 Texas 415, USC 38 Rose Bowl

2004 USC 55, Oklahoma 19 Orange Bowl

2003 LSU 21, Oklahoma 14 Sugar Bowl

2002 Ohio State 31, Miami, Fl 24 Fiesta Bowl

2001 Miami, Fl. 37, Nebraska 14 Rose Bowl

2000 Oklahoma 13, Florida State 2 Orange Bowl

1999 Florida State 46, Va Tech 29 Sugar Bowl

1998 Tennessee 23, Florida State 16 Fiesta Bowl

SEC has 4 champions by 3 different schools. ACC 1,Big 10 1,PAC 10 1,Big 12 2, Big East 1

Edited by swamprat
ACC was 2, should be 1. Miami was in the Big East in 2001.

I think this quote by a curent UK prospect from Texas sums it up:

"Well, I see a lot of Big 12 games down here," he said. "That's about all we have here in Texas. But I think everybody around the country thinks the SEC is the best conference out there, so that is plus for Kentucky. You want to play against the best there is."

Previous NCAA BCS Champions

NCAA BCS Past Champions

2007 LSU 38, Ohio State 24 BCS Bowl

2006 Florida 41, Ohio State 14 BCS Bowl

2005 Texas 415, USC 38 Rose Bowl

2004 USC 55, Oklahoma 19 Orange Bowl

2003 LSU 21, Oklahoma 14 Sugar Bowl

2002 Ohio State 31, Miami, Fl 24 Fiesta Bowl

2001 Miami, Fl. 37, Nebraska 14 Rose Bowl

2000 Oklahoma 13, Florida State 2 Orange Bowl

1999 Florida State 46, Va Tech 29 Sugar Bowl

1998 Tennessee 23, Florida State 16 Fiesta Bowl

SEC has 4 champions by 3 different schools. ACC 1,Big 10 1,PAC 10 1,Big 12 2, Big East 1

This is good info. I thought it interesting that the SEC has 3 titles, but have had only 3 opportunities. My memory is terrible so I ask, of the title games that didnt have an SEC representative, how many SEC teams could make an arguement for having got to the title game but didnt??:confused: