Big 12 makes a case to surpass the SEC as the nation's best football conference

colonel-fan

Dust Bowl Rising: The Big 12 makes a strong case to surpass the SEC as the nation's best college football conference

But one of the fiercest "best of" debates doesn't have an official winner, or an ounce of hardware for its champion: Strongest conference. It's one of the easiest ways to light up a radio station's phone lines or ignite a message board flame war, though - a merit badge, albeit a small one, that many fans are proud to vie for and wear.

Only five leagues - the SEC, Pac-10, Big 12, Big Ten and ACC - can even really argue for it, although the Big East, with teams located in talent-rich areas, may soon re-justify its preferred seat at the BCS table.

And of those select conferences, the unofficial, invisible crown is usually sent, almost by default, to the SEC.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big 12????????

Big 12!?!??!?!?!

As in Oklahoma vs. Boise State? As in Oklahoma vs. West Virginia? As in "Our best team was Kansas"?

C'mon...at least make this arguement fun people and say the Pac 10... even Vandy would be competitive in the Big 12 North against Nebraska, Colorado, K-State, et all...

No doubt about it, the SEC is by far top to bottom the best NCAA football conference.

I don't think that the Big 12 is even with the SEC at all, no conference is. I will say that the Big 12 just may have an an argument for #2. I don't look for Nebraska to stay down for very long, Oklahoma and Texas are always very good and now Mizzou is now very tough as well, TTU is also looking for a good season this year I believe.

I wouldn't put the Pac 12 there (#2), to me the Pac10 is "USC and the 9 dwarfs".

This year the Big10 will have a very strong Ohio State team, Illinois and I really look for Penn State to be very good as well, add in Wisconsin and in most years Michigan (yes, as bad as I hate to say it they certinly won't be down for long,lol) and imo the Big10 will be very competitive.

The ACC is also usually a pretty good conference wit the likes of Clemson, VT, BC, FSU and in the last few years the Big East has been good, imo it remains to be seen if they (Big East) can stay on that level as a conference. We don't know if UConn or Rutgers will be as good, UC is certainly looking up imo but just not on a top level. U.L. remains to be seen if they can return to the level of team that they had for a couple of years before last season. I don't think that U.L will he a bad football team, just not on a top level. WVU has a new coach and a will have to see how they come out as well.

Alot of ?? in the Big East that needs to be answered. JMO.

I can't wait for College Football!!!!

Edited by oldrambler

No doubt about it, the SEC is by far top to bottom the best NCAA football conference.

I don't think that the Big 12 is even with the SEC at all, no conference is. I will say that the Big 12 just may have an an argument for #2. I don't look for Nebraska to stay down for very long, Oklahoma and Texas are always very good and now Mizzou is now very tough as well, TTU is also looking for a good season this year I believe.

[/u][/b]

Kansas is going to be very good this year again as well.

Wait... the last two BCS champions were from the....

The only team to have 2 BCS championships is from the...

The conference with twice as many BCS championships as any other is the...

Right. Wishful thinking by a Big12 writer.

SEC is king in football. The talent rich south is king when it comes to recruiting, fans etc. Just ask OSU.

Big 12?

I would even go so far to say the Big East has been better than the ACC the last couple of years.

This season the SEC has given themselves a much more difficult (in comparison to their previous practices) schedule in terms of playing non conference games on the road. I think this will have a very negative impact on the conference's record.

SEC is king in football. The talent rich south is king when it comes to recruiting, fans etc. Just ask OSU.

Big 12?

I would even go so far to say the Big East has been better than the ACC the last couple of years.

I'll take it one step further...the Big East has DEFINTELY been better than the ACC the last couple years. The ACC is currently the weakest BCS conference IMO.

The ACC Champion has not won a BCS game since FSU won the National Championship in 1999-2000!

I wouldn't put the Pac 12 there (#2), to me the Pac10 is "USC and the 9 dwarfs".

This year the Big10 will have a very strong Ohio State team, Illinois and I really look for Penn State to be very good as well, add in Wisconsin and in most years Michigan (yes, as bad as I hate to say it they certinly won't be down for long,lol) and imo the Big10 will be very competitive.

The ACC is also usually a pretty good conference wit the likes of Clemson, VT, BC, FSU and in the last few years the Big East has been good, imo it remains to be seen if they (Big East) can stay on that level as a conference. We don't know if UConn or Rutgers will be as good, UC is certainly looking up imo but just not on a top level. U.L. remains to be seen if they can return to the level of team that they had for a couple of years before last season. I don't think that U.L will he a bad football team, just not on a top level. WVU has a new coach and a will have to see how they come out as well.

Alot of ?? in the Big East that needs to be answered. JMO.

I can't wait for College Football!!!!

Your key statement :thumb: