More hits for UL....

I don't know how long it will take UL to adjust to English...especially right now with the depth issues that ahve arose... but he is exactly who they needed for the job. You can guarantee that UL will have some excellent Linebackers and DB's once he is able to recruit the guys to fit his system.

Uk vs. UC last year = Lots of points and lots of energy

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UofL could have just as easily won as many games last year as UK did with the same schedule any way you put it. UK was not that much better than UofL if any.

Not if you look at the cold hard facts they weren't. Not opinion, but what they both actually did with the schedule they had to play. For the past several years, UL was obviously better. Last year, they weren't based only on the results. ;):D

Not if you look at the cold hard facts they weren't. Not opinion, but what they both actually did with the schedule they had to play. For the past several years, UL was obviously better. Last year, they weren't based only on the results. ;):D

I'll admit that UK was the better team last year based on their consistency. Back to the whole potential thing,(which is much ado about nothing) if both teams played their very best football I'll take UofL every time.:cool: How does that sound?

The secondary, which despite all of our NFL talent we've had the last 5 years, has been atrocious over that entire timespan imo but it's been covered up by the others strengths we've had. Personally I think the defense will be less talented this season than it was last year but they will perform much better on the field based on everything that English has been doing. As far as I'm concerned, he's the savior of the program at the moment.

I think the real defensive issue was the lack of pressure by the defensive line. While we clearly did not have a good secondary last season, I think any secondary in the nation would have played poorly with such little D-Line pressure. Prior to last season we always had an All star on the defensive line, from Josiah to Okoye we always had applied pressure. Last season we applied NONE, whether this was due to less talent or bad coaching (the D-line coach last season was a new guy) we had nothing on the D-line. I feel like if English were to get more out of this group than the rest of the defense will begin to look much better.

For the sake of the original intent of this thread (as I understood it :D)

These are the players I found that have left, and why. I also suspect we may be losing James McKinney, based on what I heard on the news this morning. But, I haven't seen anything in the paper, so that's just speculation on my part:

Players who have left the U of L program early since the spring of 2007:

Player, pos. Departure
Michael Adams, DE Concussions-No one's fault
Anthony Allen, RB Transferred-I believe grades were an issue
Lamar Alston, CB Dismissed
Jeremy Baker, OL Transferred
Marcel Benson, OL Heart condition-No one's fault
Rod Council, CB Arrested, dismissed
Mike Donoghue, OL Spinal condition-No one's fault
Marcus Gordon, OL Left team
Aundre Henderson, DL Left team-Still @ UL, decided he didn't want to play football anymore
Jonathan Holston, DE Dismissed
Craig James, CB Left team
Dale Martin, RB Transferred
C.J. Millenbaugh, OL Left team
Josh Miller, WR Left team
Lamar Myles, LB Left early for NFL
George Stripling, RB Dismissed
Mario Urrutia, WR Left early for NFL
Peanut Whitehead, DE Spinal condition-No One's fault
Willie Williams, LB Arrested, dismissed
Tyler Wimsatt, LB Dismissed

On that list, at least six (health issues, leaving for early for NFL) I say can't be anticipated. I'd throw in a couple of others like Anthony Allen and Henderson. Allen may have had an issue with coaching, but I do know there was an academic issue. Exactly what, I don't know. Henderson is still at UL and I believe that if it were simply coaching, he'd have transferred, as grades are not an issue.

I think the real defensive issue was the lack of pressure by the defensive line. While we clearly did not have a good secondary last season, I think any secondary in the nation would have played poorly with such little D-Line pressure. Prior to last season we always had an All star on the defensive line, from Josiah to Okoye we always had applied pressure. Last season we applied NONE, whether this was due to less talent or bad coaching (the D-line coach last season was a new guy) we had nothing on the D-line. I feel like if English were to get more out of this group than the rest of the defense will begin to look much better.

I can definitely agree with that, they looked like a high school line at many times last season. You can bet the farm that English will get everything humanly possible out of this years team, but what they have is still to be seen...

LCPATS==UK can have a .500 season and gain bandwagon fans. I also (not saying you are doing it) think it is funny to hear UK fans talking as if they are way past the days of mediocrity and that they have surpassed UofL in national relevance.

To quote Phil Steele who was on with Rick Bozich and Jody Demling last week, when asked which program was more relevant at this point, he said Kentucky.

First of all, let me say that Im a die-hard UK fan and would rather beat UL and Tenn than anyone including the Taliban(lol). That being said, I still take no pleasure in the problems that UL have been facing because I know that those things can hit anywhere. Besides that, I want UL at full strength because, if we are fortunate enough to win, it is much more sweet!

On another topic, I have heard much talk of being an "elite" program in this thread. My question is, who are the elite teams in the country? Make a short list. Are programs like Florida St, Penn St, Alabama, Miami, and Nebraska(5 off the top of my head) still considered elite? Im interested in your opinions. List the ELITES!!!