Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

3 Point line moved back 1 foot

Featured Replies

  • Author
In 7th and 8th grade there are very few kids I'd like to see shooting from 19'9"...

 

Okay so what about letting a phyiscally mature freshman do it? Like I said earlier, you don't have to move them back the entire foot but rather half of that.

  • Replies 39
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
they can figure out how to adjust there shot to still be able to be a good mid range shooter.

 

That's where you are way off base. At 19'9" the mid range shot is an afterthought because 99% don't attempt to work on it at all. It's highly unlikely that changes at 20'9"...

With it looking like this rule could be installed in the H.S. game in the near future, when do you think the kids should prepare for it? Should they not worry about it until it gets there?

 

My opinion on this is that kids at a young age (Jr. High) should concentrate on shooting form and fundamentals, not to see how far of a shot they can make and I am afraid that is what it would turn into, developing bad habits and bad form trying to make a longer shot.

 

As for the college game, I may be wrong but am not sure that one foot will make that much of a difference. Most players that are the 3pt. shooters in college can nail that shot well beyond the line.

I feel like I had pretty good strength, especially in high school and I really don't think I was comfortable enough with my shot to shoot this far out until sophomore, but mostly junior and senior year and now have more range in college. I would consider myself an average high school player, but definitely an above average three point shooter. I think making this transition to the high school game isn't really a good idea.

 

I would start working about shooting from 20'9'' deep until I was probably junior or senior year, maybe a lil earlier if I am a very talented player and were being noticed.

 

And I definitely agree with oldrambler's last statement.

I might be wrong here, but does this mean they have to widen courts? Because on the sidelines there is barely a foot between the 3pt line and out of bounds as it stands now.

High school, college and NBA floors are all 50' wide so if you can fit a 23'9" line on that court then a 20'9" should be no problem. Most college players seem to make the 4 foot adjustment from college to pros so high schoolers should be able to make the 1 foot adjustment.

 

Problem may be if these kids feet keep getting bigger, no room for the toes or the heels :)

High school, college and NBA floors are all 50' wide so if you can fit a 23'9" line on that court then a 20'9" should be no problem. Most college players seem to make the 4 foot adjustment from college to pros so high schoolers should be able to make the 1 foot adjustment.

 

Problem may be if these kids feet keep getting bigger, no room for the toes or the heels :)

 

The NBA 3 is 22 feet at the closest point along the sidelines. With that said, you're right that 20' 9" shouldn't be a problem.

Overall I am glad the line is being moved. The 3 pt line is way to close at this time.

I think it's a good move for the college game. I hope high school stays the same. I wish someone would propose that there is no 3 point line until grade 9. From birth through grade 8, playing with only 2 point shots (like the old days) would help kids learn to work the ball closer to the basket and also prevent the "chuck it from the hip" jumpers we see in upward and middle school.

I think it's a good move for the college game. I hope high school stays the same. I wish someone would propose that there is no 3 point line until grade 9. From birth through grade 8, playing with only 2 point shots (like the old days) would help kids learn to work the ball closer to the basket and also prevent the "chuck it from the hip" jumpers we see in upward and middle school.

 

That would be a great move. It would really improve the game IMO.

I I wish someone would propose that there is no 3 point line until grade 9. From birth through grade 8, playing with only 2 point shots (like the old days) would help kids learn to work the ball closer to the basket and also prevent the "chuck it from the hip" jumpers we see in upward and middle school.

 

I have said that for years. There is no need to have a 3 pt. line in Little league or in MS. There few kids that can make that shot with good form. It kills shooting forms with the "chucking" it from the three point line.

Will the college women also be shooting from 20'9 or is it just for the men?

There simply aren't going to be many 7th/8th graders strong enough to shoot a consistent shot from 20'9". That can create a large number of bad habits for a kid not at the top level of talent.

 

As it stands, the game is struggling from the same kids not strong enough to shoot from 19'9" at the same age. As a young player grows, you increase his range. Not vice versa...

I agree. It can create a "gun slinger" habit....shooting from the hip.

 

Most kids that age aren't strong enough to shoot frpm a distance in the proper form.

 

BTW, I'm glad they have finally changed the distance. It has been too close for too long. I'm surprised it took this many years to do it.

 

However, I think the high school line is okay as is. The way it is now the distances will increase as the player progresses to a higher level of competition, with the NBA (if they can make it that far) being the longest distance.

I have said that for years. There is no need to have a 3 pt. line in Little league or in MS. There few kids that can make that shot with good form. It kills shooting forms with the "chucking" it from the three point line.

I agree 100%.

Will the college women also be shooting from 20'9 or is it just for the men?

 

Just the men. The women's isn't changing IIRC.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.