Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

3 Point line moved back 1 foot

Featured Replies

  • Replies 39
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a little surprised this issue hasn't had much play in the national media yet. By January it will be a major "story"...

Wonder how long it will take the HS ranks to change as well?

  • Author

If I was a parent of a baller who was say in middle school (7th/8th) & my son was already pretty decent at the 3 point shot, I think I would have him shoot so many a day from just a little further back to get him ready for the change. Not really focus on it to much but I would address it.

If I was a parent of a baller who was say in middle school (7th/8th) & my son was already pretty decent at the 3 point shot, I think I would have him shoot so many a day from just a little further back to get him ready for the change. Not really focus on it to much but I would address it.

 

Wouldn't hurt.

Wouldn't hurt.

At that age, it could hurt. A lot...

  • Author
At that age, it could hurt. A lot...

 

With it looking like this rule could be installed in the H.S. game in the near future, when do you think the kids should prepare for it? Should they not worry about it until it gets there?

At that age, it could hurt. A lot...

 

I took it as just a little side work after the normal three point routine was complete. Basically like working on your range a little bit.

 

But yes, I do know what your saying and I see how you say it could hurt a lot. Myself, as well as many of my fellow teammates around that age and even up through high school (one of my best friends cracked the states top 10 three point percentage leaders/per attempts career list around 03' or 04' knocking Brandon Stockton off I think) always used pretty much the same technique on our set shots. That being when we caught the feed to just take a little step, with your toe being about one to two inches from the line, then going up with your shot. The space between the toe and 3-line was virtually an unoticable difference everytime as we got used to shooting like that. Pretty much every shot looked the same as far as spacing went. So most certainly I could see how starting your shot away from the actual line itself could throw you off, but after you get enough reps in to feel comfortable in that, I can't see how it would hurt as far as working on your range goes.

With it looking like this rule could be installed in the H.S. game in the near future, when do you think the kids should prepare for it? Should they not worry about it until it gets there?

There simply aren't going to be many 7th/8th graders strong enough to shoot a consistent shot from 20'9". That can create a large number of bad habits for a kid not at the top level of talent.

 

As it stands, the game is struggling from the same kids not strong enough to shoot from 19'9" at the same age. As a young player grows, you increase his range. Not vice versa...

  • Author
There simply aren't going to be many 7th/8th graders strong enough to shoot a consistent shot from 20'9". That can create a large number of bad habits for a kid not at the top level of talent.

 

As it stands, the game is struggling from the same kids not strong enough to shoot from 19'9" at the same age. As a young player grows, you increase his range. Not vice versa...

 

I didn't say shoot it from exactly 20'9 though. I said just a little farther & yeah I know 20'9 is just a little farther so I guess I should have been specific. Don't have the kid shoot 1 foot further back but maybe half a foot or whatever.

There simply aren't going to be many 7th/8th graders strong enough to shoot a consistent shot from 20'9". That can create a large number of bad habits for a kid not at the top level of talent.

 

As it stands, the game is struggling from the same kids not strong enough to shoot from 19'9" at the same age. As a young player grows, you increase his range. Not vice versa...

 

:thumb: There are plenty of high schoolers that are barley strong enough to shoot the ball the proper way.

  • Author
:thumb: There are plenty of high schoolers that are barley strong enough to shoot the ball the proper way.

 

Well don't let/make the weaklings do it...Just let the more phyically mature ones do it.

I didn't say shoot it from exactly 20'9 though. I said just a little farther & yeah I know 20'9 is just a little farther so I guess I should have been specific. Don't have the kid shoot 1 foot further back but maybe half a foot or whatever.

In 7th and 8th grade there are very few kids I'd like to see shooting from 19'9"...

Well don't let/make the weaklings do it...Just let the more phyically mature ones do it.

 

It sounds silly but it a lot harder than you would think. :thumb:

  • Author
It sounds silly but it a lot harder than you would think. :thumb:

 

I played throughout Grade School, Middle School & H.S. so I understand how difficult it would be but like I said, if you let the best of the best do it, whether that be 1 guy or 5 guys, if they can do it, let them. There not in 6th grade, they can figure out how to adjust there shot to still be able to be a good mid range shooter.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.