Obama and his changing positions

Why has Obama changed his stance  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Why has Obama changed his stance

• He's a liberal running to the middle for the election
    • He's a moderate that ran to the left for the primaries
    • As he gains experience he's re-evaluating his positions
    • He's just saying what he thinks at the moment

And I cannot speak for anybody but myself but I have noticed those who plan to vote for McCain seem much more willing to acknowledge both his weaknesses and his strengths. Obama supporters seem to be pretty determined to look for nothing but their candidate's strengths.

I have never understood placing candidates on pedestals during campaigns, considering the considerable baggage that most of them bring to the table. It cracks me up to see liberals argue how qualified Obama is to be president. I am left wondering what kind of record an inexperienced and unqualified liberal presidential candidate would look like. :lol:

In this election, we have one candidate who has a track record of working with US Senators from both parties to pass landmark legislation (much of which I opposed). His opponent has little or no history of working on a bipartisan basis. Yet, liberals tout Obama as a "uniter" and disparage McCain as a GWB clone.

I really am having a difficult time how anybody who follows politics at all can accept Obama's promises of change seriously when he has had such little impact in his brief career as a US Senator.

I've seen plenty on here from both sides that don't acknowledge the problems in both candidates.

As to why some seem to blindly follow Obama; many are perhaps Clinton supporters who saw a candidate there who had only been Governor of a small, mostly rural, Southern State. Many feel he did a good job and are willing to believe that Obama might be that kind of person again.

You point out the one thing that really causes me to lean a little in McCain's camp and that is his track record for building coalitions and finding middle ground.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I cannot speak for anybody but myself but I have noticed those who plan to vote for McCain seem much more willing to acknowledge both his weaknesses and his strengths. Obama supporters seem to be pretty determined to look for nothing but their candidate's strengths.

I have never understood placing candidates on pedestals during campaigns, considering the considerable baggage that most of them bring to the table. It cracks me up to see liberals argue how qualified Obama is to be president. I am left wondering what kind of record an inexperienced and unqualified liberal presidential candidate would look like. :lol:

In this election, we have one candidate who has a track record of working with US Senators from both parties to pass landmark legislation (much of which I opposed). His opponent has little or no history of working on a bipartisan basis. Yet, liberals tout Obama as a "uniter" and disparage McCain as a GWB clone.

I really am having a difficult time how anybody who follows politics at all can accept Obama's promises of change seriously when he has had such little impact in his brief career as a US Senator.

Outstanding post AcesFull. Thank you :thumb:

My biggest problem with Obama is his lack of experience and thus a very small voting record to look at. Maybe just maybe if he had a few more years in the US Senate I could get a better feel of his voting record but he wants to be our President now, and I just can't vote for someone with such little experience or voting record.

To comment on AcesFull's comments:

One thing that has disgusted me about politics and the elected in DC and State Govt both, is that the people we elect have absolutely no idea what the majority of American's want. Some have been in office for decades, elected because they have bigger war chests than those who challenge them. I am sick and tired of people deciding what's best for the "average" American, when they've never been an "average" American, or are so far removed from "average" they've forgotten.

For me, I'm not sold on the experience factor as a positive. I believe that the status quo is not best thing for the country. I believe that there needs to be some upheaval in the ranks of the elected. I believe that fresh ideas, and new ideas, and a new energy is needed.

The White House has become a "palace", IMO. It's time it was returned to someone who is working for ALL Americans, not just the one's who have the most money.

And, before someone tries to skewer me as anti-rich, I'm not. Have all the money you want. But, don't try and pretend you know what people like me, and people worse off than me need or want. (For the record, the word "you" was used as a general, collective pronoun, not personal)

Not saying you are wrong or that you are lying, but could you provide links to prove that Obama's position has changed?

Every politician "flip flops" but some do it far more than others and on far more important issues.

Public financing of his campaign.

I have a problem with any politician changing their position on an issue and pretending that their new position has always been their position.

However, I can think of cases where McCain has admitted that his position changed and explained the reason for the change. His position on offshore drilling is the most recent example.

Hopefully, McCain will realize that allowing drilling in ANWR is the right thing to do and reverse his position on that issue as well.

Another example of the right way for a politician to change positions on issues was Mitt Romney's abortion position. Romney never denied that he once supported abortion. Instead, he explained when and why his position changed.

For an undecided voter, you certainly seem quite smitten with Barack Obama. Are you sure that you are still on the fence? :lol:

I have stated recently that I'm leaning in a particular direction.

I still am not 100% convinced on who to vote for though.

I can't answer for HB, but there are a lot us that refuse to be dragged down by all of the negative Obama comments, regardless of whether we vote for him or not. We realize that BOTH sides engage in politics (obviously) to be elected. Just because we refuse to believe the worse of Obama on all topics, as we are often fed on here, we realize that both candidates could possibly be positive leaders for our country.

This post does a good job of speaking for me. :thumb:

To comment on AcesFull's comments:

One thing that has disgusted me about politics and the elected in DC and State Govt both, is that the people we elect have absolutely no idea what the majority of American's want. Some have been in office for decades, elected because they have bigger war chests than those who challenge them. I am sick and tired of people deciding what's best for the "average" American, when they've never been an "average" American, or are so far removed from "average" they've forgotten.

For me, I'm not sold on the experience factor as a positive. I believe that the status quo is not best thing for the country. I believe that there needs to be some upheaval in the ranks of the elected. I believe that fresh ideas, and new ideas, and a new energy is needed.

The White House has become a "palace", IMO. It's time it was returned to someone who is working for ALL Americans, not just the one's who have the most money.

And, before someone tries to skewer me as anti-rich, I'm not. Have all the money you want. But, don't try and pretend you know what people like me, and people worse off than me need or want. (For the record, the word "you" was used as a general, collective pronoun, not personal)

No problem with the fresh ideas and or new ideas at all, but and this is where I have the problem with the little experience he has, can he follow through on them? With having such a small voting record, he or anyone can say anything they want, as there is a big difference between saying and doing. It's easy to say "I will do", but his track record hasn't shown me, "I have done".

I have stated recently that I'm leaning in a particular direction.

I still am not 100% convinced on who to vote for though.

With a Democrat Congress, McCain does the least amount of harm over the next 4 years.

With a Democrat Congress, McCain does the least amount of harm over the next 4 years.

That's the best pitch for McCain I've heard on this site yet. But we'll see. I'm not sure if I'll ever let anyone on here know who I'm voting for. :lol: