Obama and his changing positions

Why has Obama changed his stance  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Why has Obama changed his stance

• He's a liberal running to the middle for the election
    • He's a moderate that ran to the left for the primaries
    • As he gains experience he's re-evaluating his positions
    • He's just saying what he thinks at the moment

In the last month Obama has changed (flip-flopped?) positions on a number of Issues. For example, he has changed his position on the D.C. gun ban, public financing, FISA reform, debating John McCain, the status of Jerusalem, and when he'd meet with the dictators. What is the reason so many changes?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*siiiiiiiigggggghhhhhh* I picture driving through various parts of Kentucky, and instead of political yardsigns showing support for one candidate or another, I see signs depicting a candidate that says NO, with the circle/line combo going through the candidates name or picture.

Seriously...flip flop or midified stance?

I guess in some eyes it's better to be wrong and stick to that position than to see where you may have erred and modify your position.

*siiiiiiiigggggghhhhhh* I picture driving through various parts of Kentucky, and instead of political yardsigns showing support for one candidate or another, I see signs depicting a candidate that says NO, with the circle/line combo going through the candidates name or picture.

Seriously...flip flop or midified stance?

I guess in some eyes it's better to be wrong and stick to that position than to see where you may have erred and modify your position.

So-called flip-flops do not bother me provided a candidate acknowledges that his position has changed and is able and willing to give a credible explanation of why his position has changed.

Listen for Obama's frequent use of phrases like, "I have always maintained..." and "My position has always been...." Then do some research and discover how often these statements are simply not true. That is my problem with Obama's flip-flops. He flips and then denies that his position has changed.

Just taking the gun control position as an example:

Here's a Washington Post link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/27/AR2008062701118.html

Also, here's a link to a quote in the primaries where Obama was asked about his support for the DC Gun ban and he doesn't dispute that he believe the DC law is constitutional. This obviously is at odds with his contention that his early statement was just "inartful". (See the 4th question on the page.)

http://www.ontheissues.org/Archive/2008_Politico_Barack_Obama.htm

So-called flip-flops do not bother me provided a candidate acknowledges that his position has changed and is able and willing to give a credible explanation of why his position has changed.

Listen for Obama's frequent use of phrases like, "I have always maintained..." and "My position has always been...." Then do some research and discover how often these statements are simply not true. That is my problem with Obama's flip-flops. He flips and then denies that his position has changed.

Exactly! :thumb:

Do we really know for sure what a candidate believes in his heart of hearts?

One would be hard-pressed to find four or five issues that JM hasn't switchded positions on. I think most all politicians change their "views" whenever they deem it to be politically expedient for them to do so.

Do we really know for sure what a candidate believes in his heart of hearts?

One would be hard-pressed to find four or five issues that JM hasn't switchded positions on. I think most all politicians change their "views" whenever they deem it to be politically expedient for them to do so.

But I thought he wasn't about that, that he was different. Appears not to be true. :D