Imus Never Learns

Clyde

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a big difference between citing statistics and generalizing and I'm sure you're smart enough to know the difference. He wasn't trying to make a statement about the plight of the black male in the United States. He was saying "what do you expect from a black guy" which is completely unacceptable. They were JUST LIKE the Rutgers comments.

I'm afraid that this hits the nail on the head. "There you go" is a lot different than "Let's examine the figures from the Department of Justice."

Yeah, but I don't know that he's racist as much as he's just annoying and off-putting.

But you're sure Imus is? Everyone might not agree but it's not like he said "I hate black people". What he said, whatever he meant by it, is protected by freedom of speech. If someone doesn't like it or agree then change the station.

People who don't like Imus, such as me, just need to stop listening to him. There is plenty of bandwidth to allow Imus to say what he wants if he can attract a large enough audience and the advertising to stay on the air.

People seem to forget that most prominent mainstream politicians from both sides of the aisle have appeared on the Imus show for many years.

I watched Imus in the Morning for awhile a few years ago because of the great political guests that he had on his show. I finally found that his obnoxius personality and oversized ego just too much to tolerate. Imus was an arrogant jerk before most people ever heard of him and he has not changed.

Just tune to another station.

So, is freedom of speech limited to the Politically Correct?

Well obviously yes. I watched Imus for years...for the entertainment and to be quite honest for him. Maybe people will feel the need to call me out but I like the man. I don't seem to jump up and yell foul everytime the man says something. I've heard him some some outlandish things and some of them hit home with me, but I didn't feel the need run screaming from the room. If you don't like the man then just don't listen but if you are going to call him out everytime he says something then you need to keep tabs on a lot more people also.

So, is freedom of speech limited to the Politically Correct?
Not at all but his content of his speech, is subject to scrutiny and thus holds him accountable.

I didn't wanna be the one to post this and find myself being attacked and called things that I definitely am not, but I was wondering the same thing.
Freedom of speech and the right to do so, is well documented. At the same time, the direct language of the content offered, makes one accountable. Does he have the right to say whatever he thinks, absolutely within FCC and other guidelines. Once he does, his comments are public and he must be willing accept the criticism they can generate.

Free speech and common decency, are the balance these type of shock jocks, hide behind. They adopt the "I have the right, to say whatever"....blah, blah, blah but so does the listening public have the right, to hold him accountable for those comments.

These big mega-watt "radio hosts", have tremendous listening power and reach far/wide. Imus may be the favorite of some, while others dislike him.

But you're sure Imus is? Everyone might not agree but it's not like he said "I hate black people". What he said, whatever he meant by it, is protected by freedom of speech. If someone doesn't like it or agree then change the station.

Yeah, but you can read between the lines, can't you? I'd be willing to bet there are more examples than PacMan and the Rutgers girls.

Maybe he's not; I don't know the man personally and none of us do either. But you have to admit, given his comments, you have to at least scratch your head and say "Hmmmm."

Pacman says he'll pray for radio host

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3458377

"I'm truly upset about the comments," Jones said. "Obviously Mr. Imus has problems with African-Americans. I'm upset, and I hope the station he works for handles it accordingly. I will pray for him."

I'm sure he will. He's saying the right things right now, but we will see how long it lasts.