Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Newport Opening

Featured Replies

With Coach Turner headed off to Holmes, Newport finds themselves looking for a new head coach. Seems like just last year the same frantic searching was happening right about now...wait a minute...that was last year!! :D It also seems as though there is much more turnover in NKY this year with regard to head coaches. Hopefully, Newport will be able to snag a good one.

 

Asst. Coach Joe Bramalage would be my obvious guess to replace Travece at this late date. Anyone else care to speculate about who it might be?

Cats were 4-21 last season. Ouch!!! Any talent returning?

How about the 7th, 8th and 9th grade teams...any talent down there?

  • Author
Cats were 4-21 last season. Ouch!!! Any talent returning?

How about the 7th, 8th and 9th grade teams...any talent down there?

 

I'd say the biggest problem with Newport's feeder program is that their girls' basketball basically doesn't begin until 6th grade. There are elementary co-ed teams that girls can play on, but as you can imagine, this is not an ideal situation. Most girls do not get any real practice or game experience until 6th grade, which, of course puts the young Ladycats about 3 or so years behind their competitors. That's a lot of time to make-up when they get to the middle school level. Unfortunately, I think that lack of experience pretty much carries over to the high school. Establishing an elementary girls' program would be a tremendous step in the right direction for the new coach, if s/he is interested long-term success. (As a Ladycat supporter, I can only hope that the new coach is truly interested in this aspect of the game.:thumb:)

 

As far as what's to come...well, I'm optimistic. The upcoming eigth grade team definitely has the size to be competitive. I do, however, question their commitment to the game. Several camps were offered this summer at Newport, and not one girls' player from the middle school showed up. Hard to be successful if you're not willing to work in the off season.

 

Upcoming freshman are good bunch of girls that will greatly benefit from lots of summer workouts. I definitely think they're smart enough to mesh with whatever system the new coach establishes. Last year Newport didn't have a freshman team because of a lack of players. They should have enough 9th graders this year to, at the very least, get a few freshman games in. Hopefully, this is something the new coach strives for, as it can only pay huge dividends down the road. There's nothing worse than forcing freshmen to play JV before they are ready to play at that level.

Any word on possible candidates? Also is Newport playing any summer games next week?

  • Author
Any word on possible candidates? Also is Newport playing any summer games next week?

 

 

I think their summer ball is done, which is unfortunate. This is definitely not a team that can afford to take the summer off. I went out to Simon Kenton last week to check out a scrimmage that was scheduled, but was disappointed to find Holmes playing in Newport's spot.

 

I've heard that there is an interview on Monday, but I didn't catch a name.

Thanks for the update - any idea how many they are interviewing?

When did Holmes play? I thought they practiced last week. They play Walton this Tuesday.

I've heard that there is an interview on Monday, but I didn't catch a name.

 

Did you get any more info?

  • Author
Did you get any more info?

 

 

I haven't heard any news yet.

I haven't heard any news yet.

 

Seems to me Newport needs someone with considerable ties to the school and community and who wants to see the program reach a level of consistency and stability. Possibly someone who has played at Newport in the past and has a bit of coaching expereience under his or her belt that won't jump ship after a couple of years.

Is there anyone out there like that that you can think of Hindsight20/20?;):sssh:

  • Author
Seems to me Newport needs someone with considerable ties to the school and community and who wants to see the program reach a level of consistency and stability. Possibly someone who has played at Newport in the past and has a bit of coaching expereience under his or her belt that won't jump ship after a couple of years.

Is there anyone out there like that that you can think of Hindsight20/20?;):sssh:

 

That's funny right there. :laugh:

 

Seriously though, I think we're on the same page in that I would also like to see those kinds of qualifications in the new coach. To be completely honest, I would absolutely love see a transformation of the girls' program at Newport like Ludlow had under the direction of Coach Stamm. It took him, what, two years to start winning conference championships?? It might take a little longer at Newport, but just as it happened at Ludlow, the right person, with the right priorities can get the job done if s/he is willing to invest a little time. As far as who that right person is, well...your guess is as good as mine. I hope we hear something soon.

While I don't agree that the person needs to have ties to the community, I do agree that whomever gets the job needs to make a long term committment to the program and someone who'll be involved with the youth teams. I really feel, that if done correctly, Newport can have a solid girls basketball program and be competitive in the the region.

  • Author
While I don't agree that the person needs to have ties to the community' date=' I do agree that whomever gets the job needs to make a long term committment to the program and someone who'll be involved with the youth teams..[/quote']

 

 

You're right. I misspoke earlier. Ties to the community are not really a necessity.

My comment was more directed at what Joe posted. I understand what why he would feel that way though.

 

Any word or more info to pass along? How's Monday's interview go?

Any updates?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.