Fights on CBS

sportsfan41

Yes, he's the Bantamweight champion.

Faber is the Featherweight champion.

Only thing that might make this card better is if Paul Filho was on the card.

Filho and Chael Sonnen really need to fight again. I think Sonnen would win a rematch.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I might have just got struck by lightning :lol:.

I'm sitting here on my computer and it is storming really bad outside. I hear a pop, my computer goes off, and I felt a slight jolt or something in my hand. I dropped the laptop and sat here like...what the heck just happened. My laptop was plugged in to a charger at the time. The TV didn't go off, and nothing else in the house went off. What the heck happened?

Is Kimbo living the American dream or is he the centerpiece of a marketing gimmick????

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=3421054&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab7pos1

Slicing the American Dream

CBS broadcasted EliteXC from the Prudential Center, the first live mixed martial arts event on network television, and its centerpiece was one of the most compelling sports figure of the 21st century: Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson.

Slice's story -- from homeless to bare-knuckled backyard brawler to the cover of ESPN The Magazine -- is well known by now. Depending on point of view, Slice is either the embodiment of America or the twisted demagogue of the quick fix, "American Idol" generation. Purists decry him as a marketing gimmick, but he inspires an almost religious adulation from young males who fall in line behind his unique cadence. Certainly no athlete since Mike Tyson in his prime has generated such fervor.

They are now saying that the fight was fixed:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-kimbo060108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

An entertaining disaster

Many long-time mixed martial arts fans think Saturday’s Kimbo Slice fight on CBS was fixed because, well, it looked exactly like what they think a fixed fight would look like.

Personally, I don’t think it was rigged, if only because it worked. Kimbo, the obvious beneficiary since the entire promotion hinges on his success, won. For Elite XC to purposely deliver this desirable result would display a level of competency not seen in any other part of its amateur hour production.

But that’s just me. In the days after the first ever network televised card, everyone seems to have an opinion.

It generally splits into two groups.

They are now saying that the fight was fixed:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-kimbo060108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

An entertaining disaster

Many long-time mixed martial arts fans think Saturday’s Kimbo Slice fight on CBS was fixed because, well, it looked exactly like what they think a fixed fight would look like.

Personally, I don’t think it was rigged, if only because it worked. Kimbo, the obvious beneficiary since the entire promotion hinges on his success, won. For Elite XC to purposely deliver this desirable result would display a level of competency not seen in any other part of its amateur hour production.

But that’s just me. In the days after the first ever network televised card, everyone seems to have an opinion.

It generally splits into two groups.

The article isn't claiming it was fixed. Did your read it? The guy who wrote the article says he doesn't think it was. He just claims that a lot of people do think it was, which anyone should know that.

After watching last nights fight I don't think Kimbo Slice would last two rounds with the top tier heavy weights of the UFC.

Kimbo Slice wouldn't last 2 rounds with any top, middle or lower tier heavyweight, light heavyweight or middleweight in the UFC.

I wanna start this post by saying I never watch UFC or any of this stuff...but I did tune into this...

I agree completely with everything you guys are saying about Kimbo Slice, I was pretty disappointed by it. He was hyped up a lot and yeah he won, but he let me down. If it wasn't for the the other guy's ear, it was a definite loss.

My biggest dissapointed was the match before. That seemed to me like a great fight, very even and lots of blows. Guy gets poked in the eye so they call timeout. Doctor checks him out and he says "Hold on, I can't see". Well it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if a guy just got poked in the eye he won't be able to see right away. She cancels the match and the other guy keeps his belt. I was very frustrated with that and you could tell bot the fighters were as well. I almost turned it off after that and skipped the main event cause it frustrated me that much.

The article isn't claiming it was fixed. Did your read it? The guy who wrote the article says he doesn't think it was. He just claims that a lot of people do think it was, which anyone should know that.

Yes, I read the article. It said that many people think it was fixed, so there you go.

If it wasn't for the the other guy's ear, it was a definite loss.

I disagree. Thompson was definitely winning the fight at that point in the points but he was dazed and confused after Kimbo rocked him in the face about 4 or 5 times. While we'll never know for sure, I think Thompson was about to be KO'd with about two more punches.

Yeah, you are probably right. From the PTI guys yesterday, in their minds most fights would have been called when Thompson was on top of Kimbo in the second and taking continious elbows to the head. But like you said who knows, I was just disappointed in Kimbo's performace compared to the hype and extremely disappointed when the fight before that was called prematurely IMO.

I can agree that many other fights would have been called in the second round with the way that it was going. On the other hand, I'm fine with the ref letting it go there as well, the elbows he was landing weren't exactly full force and Kimbo obviously wasn't affected too much judging by the way he came out swinging to start off round three.

I can agree that many other fights would have been called in the second round with the way that it was going. On the other hand, I'm fine with the ref letting it go there as well, the elbows he was landing weren't exactly full force and Kimbo obviously wasn't affected too much judging by the way he came out swinging to start off round three.

Yeah, I don't know much about the scoring system and all that of this sport. But while my roommates and I were watching Thompson ontop of Kimbo, I commented, "He really doesn't even look like he is hitting him that hard. Looks like he is just trying to rack up points".