Kentucky Colonels Summer Baseball Season

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke had a slight bruise on his knee but is, in fact, 110%. From what I've heard he performed very well in the showcase and was accepted on to play in California.

Is this in the Area Code games?

You have to be accepted to play in California ???????

The way I understand it...you have to get invited by the host team (or a summer coach or h.s. coach can maybe get you invited?) to try out; there are tryouts held throughout the country, each area sponsored by a different ML team, which rotates year to year. It appears that reps from various teams work together to run the tryouts / showcases and to coach the team; but one team is the named sponsor that year. They are organized by groups of area codes. This one was apparently Ky, In, Oh, maybe Mich, and Ill..not sure on that. Anyway, from that tryout, they take 18 to 25 kids to the Area Code Games in Long Beach. I think there will be a total of 8 teams there that cover the country? or part(s) of the country? They will participate in workouts, showcase, then play a College W.S. format tournament....The East Coast Showcase is similar I think; but I'm not sure how they compliment or compete with each other? This area's host teams are the Yankees for the East Coast and the White Sox for the Area Code / West Coast thing...

...That's the story I got...

• 2 weeks later...

Luke will be indeed going to the Area Code games and this event will take place from Aug 3 through Aug 10. Long Beach State University will hold an event one day, they will play an exhibition game at USC another day, then have a pro showcase... and finally he will they play in a college world series tournament format.

Luke's list of schools wanting him is quite extensive and impressive I have also heard and read where he is a top 200 pick in next springs MLB draft.

Sort a nice to be wanted.....

Any news on college choices for the unsigned graduates or the seniors to be?

The seniors to be, to my knowledge, haven't recieved any offers other than Maile who has made no college choice yet.

As for the graduates they all have commitments other than Zac Adams from Scott.

Its a real shame that one of the best players to walk through Scott has gotten no college attention whatsoever from ANYBODY. Hopefully somebody will be able to grab him up before the college terms start. I think he'd be a real steal for any program.

The seniors to be, to my knowledge, haven't recieved any offers other than Maile who has made no college choice yet.

As for the graduates they all have commitments other than Zac Adams from Scott.

Its a real shame that one of the best players to walk through Scott has gotten no college attention whatsoever from ANYBODY. Hopefully somebody will be able to grab him up before the college terms start. I think he'd be a real steal for any program.

Have to agree with that statement. Heck, if for no other reason than the NCAA requiring teams to have a overall high GPA average (Doc is one very, very smart kid) he could help out a team. The young man can hit, and can hit big time. Surprising how few offers have come for the local kids this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Received a note from Denny Taney today asking me to make this announcement,

Theoldguy,

I was wonder if you would do me a favor and help get the word out that we are forming a 16U team for the 2009 season. We just made the final decision yesterday and set the tryouts for August 16 and 17 so we don't have much time to get the word out.

I put some information out on our website and also sent an email to the enquirer but I'm not sure it will get into the papers in time to do us much good. I know a lot of people seem to read Blue Grass Preps so I thought maybe if you would post something on their site it might help spread the word.

Thanks again for your help.

Denny

Denny Taney

Kentucky Colonels Baseball

6315 Deermeade Drive

Florence, KY 41042

859-240-2136

www.kentuckycolonelsbaseball.com

Received a note from Denny Taney today asking me to make this announcement,

Theoldguy,

I was wonder if you would do me a favor and help get the word out that we are forming a 16U team for the 2009 season. We just made the final decision yesterday and set the tryouts for August 16 and 17 so we don't have much time to get the word out.

I put some information out on our website and also sent an email to the enquirer but I'm not sure it will get into the papers in time to do us much good. I know a lot of people seem to read Blue Grass Preps so I thought maybe if you would post something on their site it might help spread the word.

Thanks again for your help.

Denny

Denny Taney

Kentucky Colonels Baseball

6315 Deermeade Drive

Florence, KY 41042

859-240-2136

www.kentuckycolonelsbaseball.com

Will Walt's son be the coach?

Do you know who the coach will be yet ?I think this may effect some decisions .Is there a chance ,with the Kentucky Kings breaking up that Mr.Kelly will take over this team .

Coop ,I believe Coach Myerhoff will still attract some of the top players for 16's .I agree it could be a good thing for the Colonels .Like has been debated on here before ,not all the "BEST" players play for the Colonels.JMO

The KY Kings are not having a 16? That is news to me. I have heard that the Kings will not have an 18u team, but are having a 17u team. I've heard of players from the 15u team going to other places, but not that Coach Kelly was not coming back for the 16's.

The KY Kings are not having a 16? That is news to me. I have heard that the Kings will not have an 18u team, but are having a 17u team. I've heard of players from the 15u team going to other places, but not that Coach Kelly was not coming back for the 16's.

I also heard that there will not be any 18U Kentucky Kings teams next summer. IMO this is a shame, but understandable, considering it seems to be getting harder and harder to get 100% committed players for these summer teams. It's not about just going out to play ball anymore. The only reason most of these boys play now is that they have a chance to get looked at by colleges, not for the love of the game and I think the parents have a lot to do with that.