Rule Question

Does the batter have to make an effort to avoid a pitch that could possibly hit him. I have seen many batters just stand there and take the hit, making no effort to avoid the ball.

Is this a rule? If so why isnt it enforced?

I could be wrong but isn't it a judgment call by the Umpire. The batter has to attempt to get out of the way, but if it isn't possible (or if the batter doesn't have time), then the Ump can allow the batter to first.

It is a judgement call. But, I think if the batter is in the box, and doesn't lean it to the pitch he should be award first base, whether he squts, jumps, turns his back or doesn't move at all. I always thought it was called the batter's box... that is why baseball has the plate for the pitcher to throw the ball over. BUt, if the player sticks out an elbow or dives in the pitch and extends out over the plate, the batter shouldn't be awarded the base. I always hated that because the umps got me for it 7 or 8 times last season when I would stand in there and turn my back.

OBR rule 6.08 states that a batter must make an attempt to avoid a pitched ball:

"The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when --

He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit unless (1) The ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or (2) The batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball."

However, it may be different for FED/NCAA. I had someone tell me that if the batter is in the box they do not have to make an attempt to avoid the pitch. Any umps know if this is true?

OBR rule 6.08 states that a batter must make an attempt to avoid a pitched ball:

"The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when --

He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit unless (1) The ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or (2) The batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball."

However, it may be different for FED/NCAA. I had someone tell me that if the batter is in the box they do not have to make an attempt to avoid the pitch. Any umps know if this is true?

I wouldn't mind that if it was true, but I doubt it. That batter's not allowed to hang out over the plate, so why should the pitcher be allowed to throw in the "batter's box". Just my stance on it.

I wouldn't mind that if it was true, but I doubt it. That batter's not allowed to hang out over the plate, so why should the pitcher be allowed to throw in the "batter's box". Just my stance on it.

OK, but then why did you post this earlier?

It is a judgement call. But, I think if the batter is in the box, and doesn't lean it to the pitch he should be award first base, whether he squts, jumps, turns his back or doesn't move at all.

I got the impression from this you felt a batter in the box did not have any obligation to make an effort to avoid the pitch. I know in OBR, they have to. Just not sure about FED/NCAA.

I got the impression from this you felt a batter in the box did not have any obligation to make an effort to avoid the pitch. I know in OBR, they have to. Just not sure about FED/NCAA.

They say pretty much the same thing. The batter has the right to the box. And not make an attempt if the ball comes in the box.

I judge this, if I feel that the batter had opportunity to move, very slow breaking pitch that is near the box, he stays if it hits him. Anything fast, he gets first without making the attempt to move. It does come down to judgement but the batter must make an attempt to move and I don't care, if he bends over to get the hit, it is a strike! Take one for the team my butt. I hate to hear that yelled from specs......

In our game last month, one of our pitchers hit a batter but the batter stood still, so therefor had to stay and bat, the very next pitch he was hit again, again he stood still.

Both pitches were called balls, but the batter has to make at least some effort to get out of the way.

NFHS Rule Book, 7-3-4 - Batting Infractions

A batter shall not permit a pitched ball to touch him.

Penalty: The batter remains at bat (the pitch is a ball or strike) unless pitch was a third strike.

Typically, most blues will let the batter goes to first if he makes any token effort to get out of the way of the pitch. If he "iron mans" it or leans into the pitch, he staying. Most of these pitches are balls obviously unless the batter crowds the plate and then drops a wing to get hit. Then, I've got a strike.

NFHS Rule Book, 7-3-4 - Batting Infractions

A batter shall not permit a pitched ball to touch him.

Penalty: The batter remains at bat (the pitch is a ball or strike) unless pitch was a third strike.

Typically, most blues will let the batter goes to first if he makes any token effort to get out of the way of the pitch. If he "iron mans" it or leans into the pitch, he staying. Most of these pitches are balls obviously unless the batter crowds the plate and then drops a wing to get hit. Then, I've got a strike.

I agree