October 3, 200818 yr Perhaps, but it will take more than the package you suggested to get him. no doubt about it.
October 3, 200818 yr Perhaps, but it will take more than the package you suggested to get him. You must of missed the part that I said basically whatever it takes. Heck, I'd be easily willing to give up Cueto as a part of a package for him, maybe even Harang. Thompson will be in the majors somewhere next season.
October 3, 200818 yr Merker won't be back because of his back. Heard an interview with him the last week of the season on the pre-game show and he stated his doctor said his back cannot take the stress anymore. He basically said he wasn't going to retire but just kind of fade away. I don't see Walt giving Patterson another 3 mil. to hit lead-off and bat .210 or less, no matter what Dusty thinks of him. Either Freel or Hopper will be gone, same type of player basically for one spot and Hairston has earned a roster spot. Freel would be the logical choice to be sent elsewhere because of his contract, the same contract that they will either have to eat or keep him around. I could see Walt packaging Bailey and at least 2 others to get a big right-hand bat or a quality catcher. With the way Thompson, Ramierez, and Maloney pitched this year, I see Bailey as odd man out because of the way he pitched and everyone knows you have to give up something to get something. Give Hanigan a chance, he'll open a lot of eyes next year. You don't need a catcher that hits 20-25 HR's to be successful. You need a guy that can hit for average, call a good game and throw out runners, thats exactly what hanigan does.
October 3, 200818 yr You must of missed the part that I said basically whatever it takes. Heck, I'd be easily willing to give up Cueto as a part of a package for him, maybe even Harang. Thompson will be in the majors somewhere next season."Whatever it takes" will cut into your projected starting lineup and/or rotation. Maybe Thompson will, and maybe he won't. The Rockies (nor anyone else for that matter) aren't likely to accept him as a huge part of a deal for an established star like Holliday.
October 3, 200818 yr Give Hanigan a chance, he'll open a lot of eyes next year. You don't need a catcher that hits 20-25 HR's to be successful. You need a guy that can hit for average, call a good game and throw out runners, thats exactly what hanigan does.Hanigan is 28 years old and just made it to the majors. He might make the Reds as a backup catcher, but that's all he is.
October 3, 200818 yr Hanigan is 28 years old and just made it to the majors. He might make the Reds as a backup catcher, but that's all he is. :thumb: That may be all he is but unfortunately he may have to be the primary starter next season. However, he's no more than a stopgap solution.
October 3, 200818 yr :thumb: That maybe all he is but unfortunately he may have to be the primary starter next season. However, he's no more than a stopgap solution.Exactly.
October 3, 200818 yr Hanigan is 28 years old and just made it to the majors. He might make the Reds as a backup catcher, but that's all he is. Please...if Hanigan isn't the Reds starting catcher next year, it'll show me how poor the management is
October 3, 200818 yr "Whatever it takes" will cut into your projected starting lineup and/or rotation. Maybe Thompson will, and maybe he won't. The Rockies (nor anyone else for that matter) aren't likely to accept him as a huge part of a deal for an established star like Holliday. What did the Twins get for Santana? That's what I thought, a bunch of unproven minor leaguers.
October 3, 200818 yr What did the Twins get for Santana? That's what I thought, a bunch of unproven minor leaguers.Different situation. Santana was pressuring the Twins to make a deal if they weren't going to sign him to a long-term contract. Plus, Gomez had some major league experience and was ready to take over center field. None of the guys you mentioned have shown they're major-league ready.
October 3, 200818 yr Different situation. Santana was pressuring the Twins to make a deal if they weren't going to sign him to a long-term contract. Plus, Gomez had some major league experience and was ready to take over center field. None of the guys you mentioned have shown they're major-league ready. While I agree with you, the Rockies have been fairly open about moving Garrett Atkins & Matt Holliday.
October 3, 200818 yr Different situation. Santana was pressuring the Twins to make a deal if they weren't going to sign him to a long-term contract. Plus, Gomez had some major league experience and was ready to take over center field. None of the guys you mentioned have shown they're major-league ready. All Santana said was the he would block any trade they tried to make during the season, not really sure how you see that as pressuring. Gomez played in 58 major league games in 2007. He never had extended success in the Minors. If he was ready to take over centerfield for the Twins, Dickerson is just as ready to take over center for the Reds next season. (I don't know if you have argued that he's not, but plenty on here have)
October 3, 200818 yr You must of missed the part that I said basically whatever it takes. Heck, I'd be easily willing to give up Cueto as a part of a package for him, maybe even Harang. Thompson will be in the majors somewhere next season. No way do I give up Cueto. Maybe Harang...
October 3, 200818 yr No way do I give up Cueto. Maybe Harang... I'm with you. At this point Cueto has much more upside than Harang. They figure out a way to get Holliday and Harang is a part of that deal, I have no problem with it. I might be suprised, but not unhappy.
October 3, 200818 yr Please...if Hanigan isn't the Reds starting catcher next year, it'll show me how poor the management is Because they want a 29 year old career minor leaguer starting opening day? Makes a whole lot of sense.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.