October 3, 200818 yr Maybe, and maybe not ... Stubbs had a decent year at age 23 in the Florida State League, which says he probably isn't a future star. And he's probably still a year or two away. Frazier will probably end up at second base or third base. Ramirez is intriguing. Homer? As much as the Reds fans trash him, and as bad as he's been, how much value does he really have on the market right now? Homer's trade value obviously isn't what it once was, but I think teams still see enough potential in him to take a chance on him. He's still what, only 22? Stubbs seemed to play better the higher level he went. I think he'll get a long look in the Spring. I believe Ramirez showed he can be successful at the major league level. For the 1st time in a long time I think the Reds have enough highly rated prospects in their sytem to be able to land a player like Holiday. I think the Rockies are convinced that Holiday will walk at the end of next year. The Rockies will have to decide if they feel they can do better with supplemental draft picks or trading him for top prospects.
October 3, 200818 yr Homer's trade value obviously isn't what it once was, but I think teams still see enough potential in him to take a chance on him. He's still what, only 22?It's one thing to take a chance on a 22-year-old kid with a good arm. It's another to take him as a key part of a deal for a proven star like Holliday. As uncoachable as Bailey purportedly is, and as bad as he was this year, it's hard to tell what his value on the market is right now. Stubbs seemed to play better the higher level he went. I think he'll get a long look in the Spring.Stubbs hit well in 45 games in Double-A and Triple-A, which is far different than doing it over the course of a season ... case in point, Chris Dickerson. For the 1st time in a long time I think the Reds have enough highly rated prospects in their sytem to be able to land a player like Holiday. I think the Rockies are convinced that Holiday will walk at the end of next year. The Rockies will have to decide if they feel they can do better with supplemental draft picks or trading him for top prospects.And there are several other teams that would like to have Holliday ... all of which may come up with a better offer.
October 3, 200818 yr And there are several other teams that would like to have Holliday ... all of which may come up with a better offer. There's no doubt that Holliday will be a hot commodity. Will the Reds land him? I doubt it. Do the Reds have enough prospects to trade for him without giving up Cueto, Volquez, Votto or Bruce? I believe they do.
October 4, 200818 yr I'm no Red's fan but I wish they would make some moves to make the club better. I don't mind seeing them do well as long as it's not against the Braves.
October 4, 200818 yr This is what I would do if I were going to "rebuild" this team.. First off, of the free agents, I let go of Fogg and Patterson. Bring back Bako, Affeldt, Jerry, Lincoln, Merker, Valentine, and Weathers. Next I try to sign 2 good bullpen pitchers, and try to bring in a solid starter. After looking through the potential free agent list for 2009, I would go after Luis Ayala, and maybe LaTroy Hawkins, or Brandon Lyon. As for the solid starter, go for Jon Garland, a guy that shouldn't ask for much and who can win 10-12 games a year. Maybe even Braden Looper. I know not big name guys, but guys who can win some games for you. The Reds rotations looks good, adding one of those guys just helps it that much more. Next I go after another solid outfielder, I would go after Rocco Baldelli, who should be a free agent, or make a trade for a player like Holliday. That's what I would do, and my opening day lineup would look like this.. Catcher - Ryan Hanigan First Base - Joey Votto Second Base - Brandon Phillips Shortstop - Alex Gonzalez Third Base - Edwin Left - Holliday/Baldelli Center - Bruce Left - Dickerson/Baldelli Batting Order 1. Dickerson/Baldelli 2. Phillips 3. Holliday(if on team) 4. Votto 5. Bruce 6. Baldelli(if on team)/Edwin 7. Gonzalez 8. Hanigan 9. Pitcher Rotation 1. Volquez 2. Arroyo 3. Harang 4. Garland 5. Cueto That's what I would do, highly doubt any of that happening, but that's just me..
October 4, 200818 yr You have done nothing to show me that the Rockies wouldn't take unproven prospects for Holliday, just like the Mets did for Santana. Right now the Reds could offer just as good of a package for Holliday than the Mets did to acquire SantanaOne other difference ... there were only three bidders for Santana (Yankees, Mets, Red Sox) because of Santana's contract demands. Holliday would get more interest from more teams, which figures to escalate the Rockies' asking price.
October 4, 200818 yr I haven't read through this whole thread, but I can't help but wonder if the current economic woes will depress the amount of money thrown at FAs this off-season.
October 4, 200818 yr I haven't read through this whole thread, but I can't help but wonder if the current economic woes will depress the amount of money thrown at FAs this off-season. I read an article on that and it said expect it to make a big impact on sports.
October 4, 200818 yr I read an article on that and it said expect it to make a big impact on sports. This one? It's long, but a good read.
October 5, 200818 yr One other difference ... there were only three bidders for Santana (Yankees, Mets, Red Sox) because of Santana's contract demands. Holliday would get more interest from more teams, which figures to escalate the Rockies' asking price. Holliday is going to want just as much as Santana, when that time comes.
October 5, 200818 yr Holliday is going to want just as much as Santana, when that time comes.He won't get it ...
November 2, 200817 yr Colorado has made it known that they wouldn't mind to trade Holliday this offseason. I wouldn't mind trading Cueto along with some prospects for him (as long as a deal is in place). He's a lineup changing hitter.
November 2, 200817 yr I don't think trading Cueto is a good idea. Not in the Reds case anyway...They have limited pitching as it is..No sense in trading Cueto. Reds should go after Burrell, and looking into trading for Saltalamacchia (sp?) Rangers have let it be known they are going to look into trading either Salty or Liard, doesn't matter which.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.