Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Reds to Trade Griffey Jr.?

Featured Replies

DH and share right field with Bobby. This would had years for him and that short right field porch....Oh baby. And Joe maybe he could play first a little Jason might be in his last year.

 

Griffey has always said he will never play for the Yankees because of how his dad was treated while there....Unless something has changed, which it may have, I don't think it would happen.

  • Replies 130
  • Views 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whats the chances to Griffey ending up back in Seattle? I could see him splitting a DH/occasional in the field role. That would keep him fresh, cut the risk of energy and maybe bring life back to the Marineer faithful. I mean everyone always questions what would've happened if Griffey didn't leave Seatlle and if it worked once then chances are at a pretty reasonable price you could try it again. Only this time Griff wouldn't have to worry about A-Rod or Sweet Lou.

 

Check post 22 and 30, I think that is where he will go.

DH and share right field with Bobby. This would had years for him and that short right field porch....Oh baby. And Joe maybe he could play first a little Jason might be in his last year.

 

I don't think there's enough at bats for him unless they trade Melky in the deal. You're already paying Damon, Matsui, and Abreu big bucks and they seem committed to getting Cabrera a starter's share of at bats. They're also paying Giambi a ton over at first and from what I'm reading when Posada comes back he'll probably have to be mostly a DH. I just don't think he fits in that lineup.

I don't think there's enough at bats for him unless they trade Melky in the deal. You're already paying Damon, Matsui, and Abreu big bucks and they seem committed to getting Cabrera a starter's share of at bats. They're also paying Giambi a ton over at first and from what I'm reading when Posada comes back he'll probably have to be mostly a DH. I just don't think he fits in that lineup.

 

No way Griffey becomes a Yankee. We have too many very solid outfielders to take on Jr. BTW, most of the DH at bats are going to Damon and Matsui, as they are splitting time in left, but Damon is getting most of them. Cabrera is playing almost every day in center and gets a day off every now and then which will move Damon to center and Giambi to the DH. Can't see the Yankees finding room for Posada to hit at the DH when you have these 4 good outfielders that need at bats. Posada will find his way back behind the plate if he has to sit a little longer.

 

Include Melky in the deal? That is hilarious. It would take a BJ Upton or something along those lines to trade Melky. We arent worried about what we are paying Giambi. It's the last year of his contract so who cares. Maybe the Yanks would make that trade straight up, but thats about it.

 

You Reds fans crack me up. Get rid of Jr. every year. Now its get rid of Dunn. I seem to remember a lot of "he is untouchable" comments a little over a year ago. If there is one thing that is "untouchable", its him hitting the ball with two strikes.:laugh:

Or here is a deal, if you want Melky in a deal including Jr., we will throw in Giambi if you throw in Volquez or Cueto, and Bruce. :lol:

 

Who said Jr. would share time with Abreu in RF above? What sense does that make? Why EVER take Abreu out of the lineup, especially in the field?

No way Griffey becomes a Yankee. We have too many very solid outfielders to take on Jr. BTW, most of the DH at bats are going to Damon and Matsui, as they are splitting time in left, but Damon is getting most of them. Cabrera is playing almost every day in center and gets a day off every now and then which will move Damon to center and Giambi to the DH. Can't see the Yankees finding room for Posada to hit at the DH when you have these 4 good outfielders that need at bats. Posada will find his way back behind the plate if he has to sit a little longer.

 

Include Melky in the deal? That is hilarious. It would take a BJ Upton or something along those lines to trade Melky. We arent worried about what we are paying Giambi. It's the last year of his contract so who cares. Maybe the Yanks would make that trade straight up, but thats about it.

 

You Reds fans crack me up. Get rid of Jr. every year. Now its get rid of Dunn. I seem to remember a lot of "he is untouchable" comments a little over a year ago. If there is one thing that is "untouchable", its him hitting the ball with two strikes.:laugh:

 

 

First off, I'm a Red Sox fan. I follow the Reds because they're the closest team to my home and I watch them in person more than any other team. You must not follow the Yankees in particular, or baseball in general if you think Posada won't be in the batting order if he can hit effectively but can't field. Melky Cabrera is a good player with some upside but he's hit 20 homeruns in 1105 at bats. Posada averages over 20 a year, not to mention the fact that he is a proven veteran and along with Jeter and Rivera the heart and soul of the team. As for trading Cabrera? Look back I didn't say that they would even consider it, just that they'd have to do something with him if they wanted Griffey because his at bats would be the ones to be decreased if they made that trade. However, let's not pretend that Melky is the second coming of Joe D because he isn't--he's a solid everyday outfielder but he's not untouchable. As for Giambi's salary, well if money was no longer a concern then why don't the Yankees have Johan Santana? Don't tell me it was because they were afraid to trade Hughes or Kennedy--Hank Steinbrenner is begging to have Joba put in the starting rotation. They could have included either one or even both and put Wang, Pettitte, Santana, Chamberlain and the rotting corpse of Mussina and still had a monster rotation with their lineup. Didn't happen because of the money. I said in my posts that Junior is a poor fit for the Yankees but you're grossly overestimating the value of some of the Yankees players--particularly Cabrera.

Who said anything about Dunn holding Jr's. jock?

 

Pretty much every one that wants JR gone, and Dunn to remain. If I had to pick between the 2 I'd take JR. He's a better fielder and hitter. I know Dunn is way younger, but his longevity with the Reds is as short term as Griffey's. Heard on the radio this morning that Krivsky said Texas in no way wanted Dunn for Volquez, only Hamilton. Smart on their part.

Include Melky in the deal? That is hilarious. It would take a BJ Upton or something along those lines to trade Melky.
If I'm the Yankees, I wouldn't give up Melky in a Griffey deal, either. But there is no way he ever brings back something like a B.J. Upton in a deal ... Melky is a solid young player, but he isn't nearly that well-regarded.

In all honesty, I don't know that a Griffey trade even nets a high-level prospect at this point. Griffey would have to get really hot in July to bring back anything of any real long-term value.

First off, I'm a Red Sox fan. I follow the Reds because they're the closest team to my home and I watch them in person more than any other team. You must not follow the Yankees in particular, or baseball in general if you think Posada won't be in the batting order if he can hit effectively but can't field. Melky Cabrera is a good player with some upside but he's hit 20 homeruns in 1105 at bats. Posada averages over 20 a year, not to mention the fact that he is a proven veteran and along with Jeter and Rivera the heart and soul of the team. As for trading Cabrera? Look back I didn't say that they would even consider it, just that they'd have to do something with him if they wanted Griffey because his at bats would be the ones to be decreased if they made that trade. However, let's not pretend that Melky is the second coming of Joe D because he isn't--he's a solid everyday outfielder but he's not untouchable. As for Giambi's salary, well if money was no longer a concern then why don't the Yankees have Johan Santana? Don't tell me it was because they were afraid to trade Hughes or Kennedy--Hank Steinbrenner is begging to have Joba put in the starting rotation. They could have included either one or even both and put Wang, Pettitte, Santana, Chamberlain and the rotting corpse of Mussina and still had a monster rotation with their lineup. Didn't happen because of the money. I said in my posts that Junior is a poor fit for the Yankees but you're grossly overestimating the value of some of the Yankees players--particularly Cabrera.

:thumb: Amazing that a Red Sox fan could come up with this :p, you have made some very good points and I agree.

Now, I do feel that Hughes and Kennedy are both going to be good MLB pitchers one day. Steinbrenner, even the new one is not known for paitence so I don't know if he will wait untill both of them become very good pitchers. He may hang onto one and deal the other to get help.

I also agree 110% that Jeter, Posada and Rivera are the heart and soul of the Yankees, Posada will be back to play in whatever capcity that he can. Jeter, Rivera and Posada are all class and imo the definition of what a baseball player should be. They are leaders and are always putting "team" first. I also really like Cabrera and Matsui a lot.

"IF" my Yankees can hang in there fairly close untill they get Posada and A-Rod back they can and will make it another classic run towards the end of the season along with your Red Sox.

A Red Sox fan disagreeing with a Yankees fan. What are the odds?

 

:lol::lol:

If I'm the Yankees, I wouldn't give up Melky in a Griffey deal, either. But there is no way he ever brings back something like a B.J. Upton in a deal ... Melky is a solid young player, but he isn't nearly that well-regarded.

 

I agree that there is no way that the Rays would every give up Upton for Melky straight up. I'm just saying it would have to be another younger guy with plenty of talent for the Yankees to trade Melky. They are pretty high on him. Even though Cano is struggling right now, the same can be said for him. The Yankees are getting out of the business of just buying everybody on the market. They will spend big money when it warrants it, but they are more interested in developing their own players now. They have been burned by the big money guys way too much. Giambi, Johnson, Mussina (now), etc.

I'm just saying its hard to sit any of the 4 outfielders down right now. I will agree that the Yankees need Posada in the lineup, but much of it definitely has to do with the fact that he needs to be in there instead of Molina.

I agree that there is no way that the Rays would every give up Upton for Melky straight up. I'm just saying it would have to be another younger guy with plenty of talent for the Yankees to trade Melky. They are pretty high on him. Even though Cano is struggling right now, the same can be said for him. The Yankees are getting out of the business of just buying everybody on the market. They will spend big money when it warrants it, but they are more interested in developing their own players now. They have been burned by the big money guys way too much. Giambi, Johnson, Mussina (now), etc.

 

:thumb: Good post, I especially agree with the bolded part. Any team has to have solid farm system.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.