For argument's sake, let's assume BCG bolts, do you....

Do you go back to Billy D as your first choice?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do you go back to Billy D as your first choice?

• Yes
    • No
    • HECK NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we're all playin devil's advocate here and playing AD let's go and use the power and money and connections that go along with being UK and very quietly send outa feeler for Self and Howland first and when they say "No Thanks" here is your short list:

1. Donovan

2. Calipari

1. Donovan, I don't like his personality at all but that does not matter, he would be on a short list (no pun intended :D). Donovan has proven that he can coach.

2. Calipari, NO....I would not want him at all, yes he can recruit NBA talent year in and year out. Key word there is NBA, he is doing nothing more than running an NBA farm team full of one and done guys. I love the "College" game. Yes, he has won big at Memphis and UMass before that, Memphis plays in imo a very weak conference (he did play a good ooc this past season, I'll give hm that). Calipari can no doubt rectuit, imo he does not care if a kid is coming to him for the sole purpose of moving to the NBA or if that kid could care less about the college he is at or even attending college classes in the first place. That imo is becoming a BIG problem in college basketball. Should a kid feel that way, don't go to college if you don't actually want to "go to college". Find some other league to play in or go directly into the NBA.

My last point on Cal would be......Did you see him coach in the NC game vs. Kansas :eek:? Calipari is a terrible "bench" coach.

JMO

I'll have think of some of mine and post again later since this is a"what if" type situation and "if a frog had wings......" :lol::thumb:

Billy Donovan would be the best choice, once again, for the University of Kentucky. I think you'd have to put some feelers out and at least see if there is any interest. If not, no big deal. Why not see if one of the top coaches in college basketball would come?

But, I think John Pelphrey will be the next coach at Kentucky. And, if I had to guess, it'll be in somewhere between 6-8 years in the future.

My opinion if BCG does leave, why not get a John Pelphrey? This will be the second year in a row that a coach has chose to leave UK for whatever reason. If you bring in JP, you know you will have him till he retires (if he does not get fired :lol:).

Here we go with this mythical magical connection between Billy and UK. It's not there guys, move on.

I agree with you on this, I do think that he still has a interest in U.K., just about any coach imo would have to listen to a U.K. if they came calling. I belive that the "connection" that some may think Donovan has is really a bond or connection to U.K. bc of Pitino. Pitino coached Billy D. in college gave him his first coaching job as an assitant on what was maybe the best coaching staff ever. Donovan, Smith, Sendek, Willard with Pitino as the head coach. Coaching staffs just don't get much better than that.

I would want a coach that would be dedicated to U.K. and truly want to be here, not maybe move to the NBA or another college opportunity a few years later.

With some of our fans, that coach would HAVE to have skin as thick as leather and a family with the same with the critisizm and verbal abuse that he would likely take if he lost a few games. (and no, I am not talking JUST about OTS there, that has been the case with any U.K. coach in the past) JMO

I like Pelphry, I just am not convinced that he is ready for a job like U.K. at this time, maybe some years down the road. JP definately knows the tradition, expectations of this place - after all, he is a member of one of the most beloved teams ever at U.K. and his jersey hangs in the rafters at Rupp.

Here we go with this mythical magical connection between Billy and UK. It's not there guys, move on.

If BG does move on, I think the best guy to make a run at would be Sean Miller. Look what happened last time you brought in an 'East Coast Guy'

No one said there is a magical connection. The poster was simply asking if UK should try to get him, should Billy G leave. What's wrong with that?

Since we're all playin devil's advocate here and playing AD let's go and use the power and money and connections that go along with being UK and very quietly send outa feeler for Self and Howland first and when they say "No Thanks" here is your short list:

1. Donovan

2. Calipari

3. Barnes

4. Miller

Why Self or Howland over Donovan?

What about Travis Ford? He has to be in the mix after what he has done in his short career.........:argue:

I think Travis Ford would be the best fit for the UK program. He plays a style that the fans love. His biggest problem would be whether or not he could recruit.

Do you really want me to answer that?

Yes, please do. There are obviously some on here that don't realize how fast Miller is rising among the coaching ranks, Go ahead and give them a list of the recruits he has coming in for next year at Xavier as well.