April 8, 200818 yr I am not a big Kansas fan by any stretch buit I am very glad that the Jayhawks won this one. By far the best thing about this Kansas win was that Bill Self accomplished something that "Run it Up" Roy Williams couldn't at Kansas......win a National Championship. That is one of the main reasons (along with I can't stand Calipari or Memphis) tht I wanted Kansas to win. I think those of you jumping on the Self bandwagon need to rewind a couple years when Kansas had a top 10-15 team back to back years and were knocked out in the first round. Kansas had a very very good team this year. As Cal said, they are very big inside and play probably the best defense in the country. As for the game, Memphis simply let this one slip away and I agree with Cal when he said everyone was to blame on the Memphis side. It was his fault for not calling a timeout to put his players in a winning situation when Kansas cut the lead to two, but the players also should have made their free throws. In the end the weakness that Memphis had all year that everyone said would hurt them ended up doing them in. Poor free throw shooting combined with too much one on one play was the kiss of death for the Tigers. Dorsey fouling out before OT IMO was the gamebreaker that allowed Kansas to make the come back. Kansas simply outhustled Memphis in the end. But for those of you praising Self and downing Cal really need a wake up call. Both have very good talent on the floor and have coached their teams to the national championship game. Don't criticize or praise a coach for one game. Last time I checked, the players are the ones who decide a game.
April 8, 200818 yr Just wondering... but who do you guys consider great "game" coaches? Maybe we should start another thread on this.
April 8, 200818 yr You can recruit the best team in the nation....but you have to motivate them to WIN! Roy and Cal need to take the hint. So Memphis lost because they weren't motivated? We must have watched a different team all year, including tonight.
April 8, 200818 yr Believe it or not, Self made the best in game coaching move of the night forcing Memphis to actually prove themself at the free throw line when the game was on the line. They failed, they lost. I thought that Self turned the tide of the game Memphis' way when he went to the box and one which enabled Rose to get untracked. Kansas' base man to man defense was great all night....................I did not see any need to change when he did.
April 8, 200818 yr I was really impressed with the way Kansas played in the Final Four...I thought they played harder than everyone else and that's the #1 reason why they won the title.
April 8, 200818 yr I think those of you jumping on the Self bandwagon need to rewind a couple years when Kansas had a top 10-15 team back to back years and were knocked out in the first round. Kansas had a very very good team this year. As Cal said, they are very big inside and play probably the best defense in the country. As for the game, Memphis simply let this one slip away and I agree with Cal when he said everyone was to blame on the Memphis side. It was his fault for not calling a timeout to put his players in a winning situation when Kansas cut the lead to two, but the players also should have made their free throws. In the end the weakness that Memphis had all year that everyone said would hurt them ended up doing them in. Poor free throw shooting combined with too much one on one play was the kiss of death for the Tigers. Dorsey fouling out before OT IMO was the gamebreaker that allowed Kansas to make the come back. Kansas simply outhustled Memphis in the end. But for those of you praising Self and downing Cal really need a wake up call. Both have very good talent on the floor and have coached their teams to the national championship game. Don't criticize or praise a coach for one game. Last time I checked, the players are the ones who decide a game. Personally I have been a Self fan for a long time. He has been to 4 Elite Eights and now won a National Championship in the last 9 years. That's pretty darn good IMO. There are very few coaches out there that have done more.
April 8, 200818 yr I think those of you jumping on the Self bandwagon need to rewind a couple years when Kansas had a top 10-15 team back to back years and were knocked out in the first round. Kansas had a very very good team this year. As Cal said, they are very big inside and play probably the best defense in the country. As for the game, Memphis simply let this one slip away and I agree with Cal when he said everyone was to blame on the Memphis side. It was his fault for not calling a timeout to put his players in a winning situation when Kansas cut the lead to two, but the players also should have made their free throws. In the end the weakness that Memphis had all year that everyone said would hurt them ended up doing them in. Poor free throw shooting combined with too much one on one play was the kiss of death for the Tigers. Dorsey fouling out before OT IMO was the gamebreaker that allowed Kansas to make the come back. Kansas simply outhustled Memphis in the end. But for those of you praising Self and downing Cal really need a wake up call. Both have very good talent on the floor and have coached their teams to the national championship game. Don't criticize or praise a coach for one game. Last time I checked, the players are the ones who decide a game. I was extremely impressed with both coaches during the Final Four. Self did a great job...he had his team loose and ready and they played with great effort in both games and that was the difference. Calipari did a great job as well...he had his team in position to win and the players ultimately let it slip away. It was nothing Cal did, IMO. However, both guys thoroughly outcoached their opponents on Saturday, IMO. I'm not surprised that Self bested Roy Williams, but I am surprised with Calipari getting the upper hand on Howland. However, talent makes coaches look great and Calipari certainly had it this year with Derrick Rose running the point for that team. I just thought UCLA abandoned Love inside and forfeited their only chance to win the game...I expected Howland would drive the point home to his team to get the ball inside.
April 8, 200818 yr Great job by Kansas to stick with it and win the game. I also believe that Memphis should look at a better conference in order to give their team more experience against better teams.
April 8, 200818 yr I'm putting the game on Calipari... He said it in all the interviews after the game. Up 5 with 30 seconds and its on you as the coach to figure out how to get your team to put that game away. He didn't use those time outs and I hope he enjoys them in the off season. He says they were fouling, but if they were his players didn't know it because they definately were trying to avoid the foul. He should have used a TO after Rose made the second free throw, and then needed to use one after Chalmers prayer was answered with 2.1... JMO, but I think the game got too big for Calipari. I think he looked up at the clock with 2 minutes left and said "We did it, were going to win the national championship" and from that point forward didn't make one right move. Once it got in to OT Memphis was pretty much done.... You can't really overcome momentum like that....
April 8, 200818 yr Great job by Kansas to stick with it and win the game. I also believe that Memphis should look at a better conference in order to give their team more experience against better teams. Memphis had all the experience they needed to win that game with their OOC schedule. They had the game in the bag and blew it. No one to blame but themselves... Really if you watch the highlights it is absolutely amazing all the things that Memphis had to do wrong for Kansas to win that game and they did it. I give hats off to Kansas because they remained calmed throughout the last 2 minutes, but that game was as much about Memphis losing it as it was Kansas winning it.... Oh well.... As they are saying somewhere in Kansas... Rock Chalk...
April 8, 200818 yr I think I said earlier in the week that I didn't think that much of Calipari as a game coach? Yeah, I'm pretty sure I said it.
April 8, 200818 yr I think I said earlier in the week that I didn't think that much of Calipari as a game coach? Yeah, I'm pretty sure I said it. Bottom line is he's a choker. He couldn't get it done with UMASS when they had the best team in the country and now he blows it with Memphis when they are the best team in the country.
April 8, 200818 yr Bottom line is he's a choker. He couldn't get it done with UMASS when they had the best team in the country and now he blows it with Memphis when they are the best team in the country. Yeah that pretty much sums up the harsh reality...
April 8, 200818 yr For the record, I disagree with everyone on here who says Memphis has a more talented team than Kansas. Top to bottom they are the best team in the country as far as I'm concerned.
April 8, 200818 yr Rose vs Rush Douglas-Roberts vs Chalmers Dorsey vs Arthur I take the Memphis guy every time. Kansas had a better bench, a better coach, and a better team, but Memphis had the better talent.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.