Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kansas 75 Memphis 68

Featured Replies

Ben Wallace is one of the best rebounder's and shot blockers the game has ever seen. Please do not compare him to Dorsey.

 

What did Ben Wallace have going for him out of college that Dorsey doesn't? They do exactly the same things. You don't think Joey Dorsey is a superb rebounder and shot blocker?

  • Replies 132
  • Views 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What did Ben Wallace have going for him out of college that Dorsey doesn't? They do exactly the same things. You don't think Joey Dorsey is a superb rebounder and shot blocker?

I don't know, I wasn't watching Wallace play college ball 12-13 years ago... and no I don't think Dorsey is superb at those things. Good, yes. Nothing special though imo. And using other players as a frame of reference for a different players future success bears no meaning whatsoever.

I don't know, I wasn't watching Wallace play college ball 12-13 years ago... and no I don't think Dorsey is superb at those things. Good, yes. Nothing special though imo. And using other players as a frame of reference for a different players future success bears no meaning whatsoever.

 

Thats fine but nearly every scouting website you will find will have the word "NBA Comparison" in describing the player. People didn't think Ben Wallace was going to be any good either... He went undrafted. He taught teams to take into account players like Dorsey. The have the exact same attributes. Shot blocker, good defender, rebound the ball, toughness.

Thats fine but nearly every scouting website you will find will have the word "NBA Comparison" in describing the player. People didn't think Ben Wallace was going to be any good either... He went undrafted. He taught teams to take into account players like Dorsey. The have the exact same attributes. Shot blocker, good defender, rebound the ball, toughness.

While I do understand the comparison, except for the fact that Dorsey will be drafted and most people think he will be good besides me, players can be compared to others all day long but at the end of the day that doesn't mean squat. If Dorsey ever comes close to the records that Wallace has set, I will happily admit that I was wrong.

Calipari really made me sick after the game. He realized that Memphis should've fouled, and tried to say that they were trying and that the PG even got pushed down. I watched the replay 8 times, and the kid fell, all the while the Memphis kids went out of their way to not foul. Then with 2.1 seconds left, and 3 timeouts in your pocket, Memphis decides to inbound to a forward, who shoots from half court. Calipari is a great recruiter, and a great conditioner. Coaching leaves a ton to be desired. He needs to learn the X's and O's of the game to win the title. I don't see it happening. I also thought that Kansas seperated themselves from Memphis with the players and their INTELLIGENCE. Memphis' players are street ballers, who don't know how to win the dog fights that come up against a good team.

While I do understand the comparison, except for the fact that Dorsey will be drafted and most people think he will be good besides me, players can be compared to others all day long but at the end of the day that doesn't mean squat. If Dorsey ever comes close to the records that Wallace has set, I will happily admit that I was wrong.

Fine, but from your orginal post before I mentioned Wallace...

 

 

I've never really been impressed with his basketball skills the times I've seen him, he always wants to just bully people around the basket which works pretty well in CUSA but that's not going to cut it in the NBA.

 

My only point was that it worked pretty well for Big Ben...

My only point was that it worked pretty well for Big Ben...

 

I gotcha but like I said before, comparing one players current talent level to another's potential really doesn't hold much water when it comes to the NBA.

It seems everyone is declaring Calipari a terrible coach based on one end-game situation...if that was the case, what about Rick Pitino not guarding the ball vs. Duke? I can't recall how many times Pitino wouldn't call timeouts at the end, instead preferring to take a shot without letting the defense set up. Different coaches have different philosophies for these situations...I've yet to see a study that proves one way is definitively better the other.

 

Calipari has lead his team to two elite 8's and a national runner-up while setting a record for single season wins and wins in a three year stretch...the guy can coach. Period.

 

The Memphis players gave this game away at the foul line, plain and simple. Unless there is a rule I'm unaware of that allows the coach to shoot free throws for his players in end game situations, then the players are at fault.

Calipari really made me sick after the game. He realized that Memphis should've fouled, and tried to say that they were trying and that the PG even got pushed down. I watched the replay 8 times, and the kid fell, all the while the Memphis kids went out of their way to not foul. Then with 2.1 seconds left, and 3 timeouts in your pocket, Memphis decides to inbound to a forward, who shoots from half court. Calipari is a great recruiter, and a great conditioner. Coaching leaves a ton to be desired. He needs to learn the X's and O's of the game to win the title. I don't see it happening. I also thought that Kansas seperated themselves from Memphis with the players and their INTELLIGENCE. Memphis' players are street ballers, who don't know how to win the dog fights that come up against a good team.

 

:thumb: Completely agree. See post 52. Cal is trying to save face. If their plan was to foul, nobody on the floor knew about it.

:thumb: Completely agree. See post 52. Cal is trying to save face. If their plan was to foul, nobody on the floor knew about it.

 

I agree Calipari should have used his timeouts. Memphis made several bad decisions and plays along they way that were just as devastating as the missed free throws, and they were all due to one thing IMO...pressure and fatigue. (turnover...Kansas 3; CDR driving to rim with 16.8 seconds, result 2 FT misses for example) At a minimum, a timeout helps to rest and collect your wits, and communicate the plan. Calipari may or may not have been yelling his head off to foul, but with 40,000 screaming people, who is going to hear it?

Plenty of blame to go around, but most of it goes to the coach. Yes, some critical FTs were missed; maybe due to fatigue. But with a 3 point lead YOU HAVE TO FOUL. End of story.

I have took up for Cal most of this forum because I thought he handled himself with class after the game. But he should have called a TO to make sure his players knew what he wanted in the last few seconds of the game. If we took a poll a week ago I would be that more people would have said that Cal was a better coach than Self. But not now.

Plenty of blame to go around, but most of it goes to the coach. Yes, some critical FTs were missed; maybe due to fatigue. But with a 3 point lead YOU HAVE TO FOUL. End of story.

 

There are a lot of bad coaches around the world then...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.