Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Do We Retire the Jerseys of Joe and Ramel?

Featured Replies

Um. No. Thanks for the memories, and lets hope Wireman is like Hatz in hyping them up for a good reason 20 years from now... ;)

 

Thanks for the mention, I think. :D

  • Replies 54
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As someone said earlier if Delk and them guys jerseys arent retired then there isnt a case for Crawford and Ramel. Someone educate me on something, I have noticed a few guys that do have there jerseys retired in Rupp that I know nothing about nor there acomplisments. Demoisey, Rallings, Sale and Grawmeyer. I'm sure the spelling is way off but why are they up there. I assume all the aboved mention have championship rings or something

 

Aggie Sale was a UK All-American in '32 and '33. He was selected the Helms National Player of the Year in '33 and UK won their first SEC title under his play.

 

Demosey was also an All-American in the 30's I believe.

 

Gawmeyer is up there as part of the '54 undefeated team with Hagan, Ramsey, Tsouropolus, Puckett, Bird and Evans.

 

Rallings I can't recall.

 

BTW, how's that for "more than you wanted to know about them" GT? ;):lol:

I think Bradley and Crawford finished their careers on a high but even earlier this year Crawford was not producing and looked like he was in some sulking funk. Congrats that they both scored 1,000 points but that honor is becoming less stellar with the number of games being played in today's schedule. (What is their per game average?)

 

They don't belong in the rafters. For that matter neither does Chuck Hayes in my book. He was a great leader but his teams never made a Final Four nor did he make All-American.

 

What do you do with say Mike Phillips? He was All SEC at least twice if not three times. Was a big part of the '75 team off the bench and without Robey was the only inside option for the '76 NIT champs. He also started on the '78 team.

 

I thought the Truman Claytor comparison was close. He was a solid player who made contributions on some very good teams (NIT champs, Final 8, NCAA Champs) but he was interchangable with others. He really rose to the occasion when KY was thin his Senior year and they had to have guard play carry them. He teamed well with Macy and Dwight Anderson to give UK that 3 headed guard machine.

 

Do they belong in the rafters? No. Were the solid particularly at the end? Yes. And if they had not been this team would not be above .500.

There is no way these jerseys get retired. First off if we retire their jerseys there are about 20 more we have to retire first. Joe started to grow on me, but I'm glad Ramel is gone, I'll give him credit, he had his games, but he just doesn't sit well with me, however, I do appreciate the effort, you can't question that.

NO WAY! Did either of them even win an SEC Tournament Title? Also someone posted that they laid the foundation for great things to come. This is all speculation and let's remember these two lead the Cats to their first, first round defeat since 1987! (Go Bucks!). Only UK fans can turn a 18-13 season with a spin. Tubby never not won 20 and he got forced out. 18-13 1st round loss is not a postive direction for great things to come at UK!

NO WAY! Did either of them even win an SEC Tournament Title? Also someone posted that they laid the foundation for great things to come. This is all speculation and let's remember these two lead the Cats to their first, first round defeat since 1987! (Go Bucks!). Only UK fans can turn a 18-13 season with a spin. Tubby never not won 20 and he got forced out. 18-13 1st round loss is not a postive direction for great things to come at UK!

 

Keep hatin'. Whose program went from the pent house (championship game, to the out house). I will take BCG any day of the week over Matta.

 

As for these two having their jersey's retired, I say no, too many ahead of them.

When was the last time they retired any jersey's? Most of that came about in the Pitino era with him spear heading the charge.

 

Too me a better question is does Tubby deserve a jersey? I say yes!!

All they succeeded in doing was running Tubby out of town.

Going into the season many UK fans would have said they will be glad when Joe and Ramel leave. Yes, I fall into that category. These guys had great senior years that may indeed set the framework for the "Billy G Era." But over the four years they have had many downfalls and negatives to go along with their name. I applaud them both for their changing of attitude, especially Joe, but there influence/greatness in a U.K. uniform does not warrant a jersey retirement.

NO IMO. I appreciate them but they aren't in the same breathe with the raffter boys IMO.

Keep hatin'. Whose program went from the pent house (championship game, to the out house). I will take BCG any day of the week over Matta.

 

As for these two having their jersey's retired, I say no, too many ahead of them.

When was the last time they retired any jersey's? Most of that came about in the Pitino era with him spear heading the charge.

 

Too me a better question is does Tubby deserve a jersey? I say yes!!

 

At this point in time Matta, has accomplished more than BCG...

Not a chance, they will be missed but they aren't worthy enough to hang with the others.

At this point in time Matta, has accomplished more than BCG...

 

And...

 

Let's do a survey for UK fans Billy G, or Thad Matta

 

At certain points in everyones career, there has to be someone who has done more. Maybe we can revisit this in 5 or 10 years.

What do you guys think? Both are 1,000 point scorers, but more importantly they are both examples of what Wildcat basketball is all about. They are the foundation for a bright future for UK, IMO. I say yes. What do you guys think?

 

I say No, both have been good players but jmo in no way deserve the jersey's retired.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.