Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2008 Lewis County

Featured Replies

What does Lewis County need to do to improve in 2008? What do they need to keep doing to be successful? Remember, please be constructive.

  • Replies 50
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched Lewis County last year and one thing I can say about them, is the fact that they never quit - they didn't give up and that will take them a long way in the future not just as football players but as men. :thumb:

If they keep Coach Combs around they will be good young men he is a very good role-model one of the best guys I have ever played with. I hear that lewis has got around 45 kids out for spring ball if so that is a good start.

If they keep Coach Combs around they will be good young men he is a very good role-model one of the best guys I have ever played with. I hear that lewis has got around 45 kids out for spring ball if so that is a good start.

 

:thumb: Its nice to see a BOE hire a young talented coach to turn a program around, and I think they choose the right one. Great guy, who learned from a great program in Prestonsburg. Give him time and he's going to do some great things in LC. I you guys ever want rid of him we will gladly take of your hands down in GC.:jump:

Who do they have returning? They lose the kid with all the catches....correct?

 

Correct, JT Britt is the kidd you are asking about. I believe JT signed with Georgetown yesterday. They will be returning several key players. Andy Downing qb. Cole Cooper and Blake Kilgore at wr. Jake Bolander, Ethan Kamer, and Nick Colvin on the o line. Jake Bolander will be the stud again on defense, he totaled over 100 tackles, 9 sacks, 14 tackles for a loss. Played great games against Mason Co, Bath Co, Russel, and Fleming Co. He benches 300, very quick and explodes off the line, he has a motor that will not quit. Lewis Co has had over 40 kids out for spring ball, several kids are playing that did not play last year. Jesse Howard will be a huge help on defense, benches 300, a wild man, another with a wound up motor. Frankie Witten will anchor the linebackers, very athletic, hard nosed kid that gives 110% always. Lewis played with everybody for a half or so, numbers caught up with them after that, these kids never got a break, playing both ways every minute is tough. If these kids continue to play you will see night and day with this team. They will surprise a lot of teams. Coach Combs is great, he can teach these kids so much about this game and their position. Keep an eye out for these Lions in 2008.:ylsuper:

45 out for spring ball? Thats great. It was a shame to see the numbers so low for LC last year. I had a feeling though that with that new pass happy offense they unveiled last year more kids would be interested. This is great news for Lions fans, if Lewis plays as hard as they did last year they will be competetive this upcoming year.

Numbers, numbers, numbers. Start there; if the Lions can keep at least 40-50, things will look up quite a bit.

I wish Lewis Co. all the luck in the world, but I have one question: How does a team go from finishing the year with 18-20 players to having 40+ kids out for spring and several 300lb bench pressers on their team? How is that possible? What caused the dramatic turn around in interest?

 

Not trying to bash them or say it isn't true, just pointing out the fact that is a major turn around in 5 months.

I watched Lewis County last year and one thing I can say about them, is the fact that they never quit - they didn't give up and that will take them a long way in the future not just as football players but as men. :thumb:

 

:thumb:Excellent post!!!! That is the thing I always observed when watching the Lions play especially while Corky Prater was leading them.

Best of luck to the Lions in 08.

I wish Lewis Co. all the luck in the world, but I have one question: How does a team go from finishing the year with 18-20 players to having 40+ kids out for spring and several 300lb bench pressers on their team? How is that possible? What caused the dramatic turn around in interest?

 

Not trying to bash them or say it isn't true, just pointing out the fact that is a major turn around in 5 months.

 

Its not that impossible really. These kids just simply did not play this past fall. All of them have played in the past. Several people have opionions on why these boys did not play, but who knows what they were thinking. I only referred to 2 players that were benching 300lbs and one of them started both ways last year. Coach Combs has kept his spirits up and is really working hard on recruiting these players. The new offense did stir up lots of new interest, JT Britts accomplishments have helped as well. A lot of former players are really stepping up, they had a "signing day" at the school in Feb. where students signed a letter of intent and committed to play football for coach Combs. Actually there were 91 kids that attended, they showed a highlight film and a few coaches spoke to the potential players, it went very well. A lot of hard work has went on the past 5 months, trying to drum up interest within the players and the community. Coach Combs has the knowledge and ability to enable this school to have a great program, his goals, morals and standards are high. As soon as these kids buy into his teachings and realize he is there to help make things better, and to help them personally, they will become winners. :thumb:

Correct, JT Britt is the kidd you are asking about. I believe JT signed with Georgetown yesterday.
Congrats to JT then......I hope he does well at G-Town. :thumb:
Congrats to JT then......I hope he does well at G-Town. :thumb:

 

Thanks Ghost, JT should do well, he is a good kidd and works hard.

Lewis County's key to the future is not only numbers but they have to get the kids interested in playing football and all that it takes to having a winning program. They have to do more lifting and more conditioning. It has been a major problem in every sport at LCHS to get the kids to commit to the weight room and off season conditioning. 1988 was the last time the Lions had a winning season and there is no excuse for that. There is enough talent in that school to have a winning team so if I was the coaches and the players I would do whatever it takes to get these kids to come out and play.

Lewis County's key to the future is not only numbers but they have to get the kids interested in playing football and all that it takes to having a winning program. They have to do more lifting and more conditioning. It has been a major problem in every sport at LCHS to get the kids to commit to the weight room and off season conditioning. 1988 was the last time the Lions had a winning season and there is no excuse for that. There is enough talent in that school to have a winning team so if I was the coaches and the players I would do whatever it takes to get these kids to come out and play.

 

Coach Combs has drastically improved the weight lifting program at Lewis Co. He served as the strength and conditioning manager for UK before he came to Lewis Co. Combs will have this team turned around with time, assistance, and support from the school and community.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.