Student suspended over Mohawk

All Tell

Nobody wants to follow rules anymore and it's only getting worse. Parents need to be held accountable and teach their kids that there are rules in all aspects of life and if you make a mistake then their are repercussions.

Unfortunately in some schools there aren't clear and consistent rules and policies and people interpret rules in different ways or they twist rules and policies so that kids can still participate in various activities. They make up little bogus punishments and all they end up doing is teaching kids that there are ways to get around the rules. When rules are followed then the coach/teacher/administrator earns respect. When you play with the rules as I have seen in various situations then you lose any chance at respect and creditability.

:thumb:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may be a rediculous one but it is still the rule. Before you enroll your child in school, you get a handbook of the rules. If you don't like the rules, place your child in a school where you agree with the rules and then abide by them.
If I'm reading this right. The rule is very vague and doesn't specifically say "No Mohawks". I don't see how a mohawk violates "well groomed".

It may be a rediculous one but it is still the rule. Before you enroll your child in school, you get a handbook of the rules. If you don't like the rules, place your child in a school where you agree with the rules and then abide by them.

As a teacher for 20 years, I agree, find one you like take them there. As far as the Mohaw(for a teenager) you pick your battles as for a 6 year old, I'm sorry no matter how old my sons get - I'm still the Mom as I always say, "I brought you in, I'll take you out".

White trash? 6 year olds don't know what they like? Come on, you all are better than that. Go to any pee wee football game the past two years and you'll notice nearly half the kids have mohawks. Are they white trash? No. Are the parents forcing this on their kid? No. My 2 year old knows what she likes and dislikes, so I'm sure a 6 year old knows what they like. My nephew had one last year, because he wanted one, not because my sister made him.

As for this situation, yeah, the mom pushed the matter after being warned twice. However, is a clean cut mohawk really that big of a distraction? :confused:

You hit the nail on the head with this one! :thumb:

Yes, rules are rules, but define distracting. If the school wants to enforce a rule they should better define it in the rule book.

Exactly, or get on the school decision making council and work to change it. Don't just blatantly break it. What does this teach a child?

I did this along time ago in grade school after seeing the movie last of the Mohican's. I was advised by my teacher and principal that the hair cut was not acceptable and sent home. My mom just cut the rest of it off and then I looked like a taxi cab with its two front door's opened. I survived however, I think the kid gettins expelled was stupid on the schools part. JD

Guys this is stupid, this is the kind of stuff that I see on a daily basis in schools. Is the kid at school? Is the kid working hard? Is he learning? If so leave him alone and move on.

I used to teach middle school Special Ed. I had kids who slept in cars some nights. They come to school in the morning and then get sent home for not having a belt due to the dress code. They (3 kids) have all dropped out of high school and will probably end up in prison. Who did the dress code help?

What is wrong with a mohawk?

I've seen plenty of kids with mohawks at the schools I work at. They're not causing any distractions with their hair...

No one has caught a disease from a kids mohawk...or decided to punch another kid in the face because a kid has a mohawk. What's the big deal?