Student suspended over Mohawk

All Tell

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is wrong with a mohawk?

I've seen plenty of kids with mohawks at the schools I work at. They're not causing any distractions with their hair...

No one has caught a disease from a kids mohawk...or decided to punch another kid in the face because a kid has a mohawk. What's the big deal?

I think people are missing the point. IT IS NOT THE MOHAWK it is the woman's obvious defiance of a stated policy that she agreed to when enrolling her child. They determined it was a distraction----warned her three times . . . She should have worked to change what she felt was a stupid rule rather than deliberately break it. Or, if she didn't like it, didn't want to change it, do what she finally did and remove the child. I think she was looking for a way to shout discrimination and sue.

I think people are missing the point. IT IS NOT THE MOHAWK it is the woman's obvious defiance of a stated policy that she agreed to when enrolling her child. They determined it was a distraction----warned her three times . . . She should have worked to change what she felt was a stupid rule rather than deliberately break it. Or, if she didn't like it, didn't want to change it, do what she finally did and remove the child. I think she was looking for a way to shout discrimination and sue.

Its a dumb rule or "interpretation of a rule"

How dare anyone question authority! BAAAAA! BAAAAAA! Do what you are told, when you are told, and how you are told! BAAAAAAA! BAAAAAA! Now I'm gonna go off and vote for whoever CNN tells me to, fill out out my No Child Left Behind paperwork, turn in my neighbor for terrorism, eat a Big Mac, and drink enough Coca Cola to induce a coma. BAAAAAAA!

Just wondering because in Kentucky, the SBDM has parents that are voted onto the council which would give them a voice in determining school policy.

No there is no SBDM in Ohio, the board of education makes the call on dress and hair styles in the public classroom.

Its a dumb rule or "interpretation of a rule"

Again, your missing the point. It's not for you to interpret. Why is it that everyone feels that there has to be some "give" in any rules established by a school. What ever happened to standing up for what you believe in?

From the schools perspecitive, if you deem a mohawk as disruptive then by golly stand by that and wish the mother well somewhere else. That is the schools decision and if she doesn't agree with it, tough cookies.

From the mother's perspecitve, if she feels that her son should be allowed to wear his hear any way he pleases (despite being notified twice that he couldn't) then by golly she probably shouldn't continue to have her kid enrolled in said school. Instead seek out another alternative (maybe home schooling..........now that would be fantastic :lol:) and move on.

Bottom line for me: If it is distracting to anyone, then it needs to go. There is entirely too much gray area which allows students to push the agenda further and further. It isn't the mohawk that is the problem. It is the mohawk, that is dyed pink, yellow, and purple......with 4 face piercings.....and fishnet stockings(on a boy) that is the problem.

Again, your missing the point. It's not for you to interpret. Why is it that everyone feels that there has to be some "give" in any rules established by a school. What ever happened to standing up for what you believe in?

From the schools perspecitive, if you deem a mohawk as disruptive then by golly stand by that and wish the mother well somewhere else. That is the schools decision and if she doesn't agree with it, tough cookies.

From the mother's perspecitve, if she feels that her son should be allowed to wear his hear any way he pleases (despite being notified twice that he couldn't) then by golly she probably shouldn't continue to have her kid enrolled in said school. Instead seek out another alternative (maybe home schooling..........now that would be fantastic :lol:) and move on.

Bottom line for me: If it is distracting to anyone, then it needs to go. There is entirely too much gray area which allows students to push the agenda further and further. It isn't the mohawk that is the problem. It is the mohawk, that is dyed pink, yellow, and purple......with 4 face piercings.....and fishnet stockings(on a boy) that is the problem.

Thank you!

How dare anyone question authority! BAAAAA! BAAAAAA! Do what you are told, when you are told, and how you are told! BAAAAAAA! BAAAAAA! Now I'm gonna go off and vote for whoever CNN tells me to, fill out out my No Child Left Behind paperwork, turn in my neighbor for terrorism, eat a Big Mac, and drink enough Coca Cola to induce a coma. BAAAAAAA!

And your point?

Seriously?

Okay, first off, I'm not a big fan of mohawks. Secondly, mohawks are distracting... for about an hour, then I would think people - yes, even those straight-laced 6 year olds - would be over it. Third, I bet the mother pushed the rules because it's a ridiculous one. I'm not saying I'm a big fan of those types of people either... except I kind of am, because I don't care to see Hitlers vision come true.

Amazingly, the Japanese seem to have done very well educationally without having all of this nonsense in their schools. And most of the English and Australians as well. Have they all become "Hitler's vision", or do we have a skewed vision of what is best educationally?

Amazingly, the Japanese seem to have done very well educationally without having all of this nonsense in their schools. And most of the English and Australians as well. Have they all become "Hitler's vision", or do we have a skewed vision of what is best educationally?
It's best for their culture, but they also have cute little aphorisms like 'The nail that sticks out is the one that gets hammered down.'

For better or worse, our culture is NOTHING like the Japanese.

:thumb:

This is a charter school. Set up in style to emulate certain private school practices. Conformity is not wanted by the parent, good....leave. Listened to her interview this morning. She had a nice diamond stud just below her lower lip and her son was on national TV without the MOHAWK spiked UP!!

Don't want to make the kid look like a fool to a national audience.:cool: