Student suspended over Mohawk

All Tell

No, but let's also not fall into the trap of condemning everyone who shows a little bit of individuality. Let's not call them white trash and brand them troublemakers. What if George Washington and the boys followed the rules? I'm all for rules and order, but we don't have to follow blindly. I think the issue is silly. I'm in full agreement that things which distract from the educational process should be prohibited, but let's focus on the educational process. Not some kid's haircut. BTW, I have a mullet and I am deeply offended by any disparaging remarks made about mullets or mullet wearing beings.

While the white trash part may have been over the line I see no way you can't call this woman a trouble maker.

FACT: Charter schools are optional programs. His motehr CHOSE to enroll him there.

FACT: The mother had been told twice before that the haicut was unacceptable.

FACT: The mother knowingly sent the child to school with the haircut.

How is that anything but a trouble maker?

Did you watch the video of the interview with the mother. One thing that was obvious to me was that the kid had NO INTEREST in what was going on. This was and is all about the Mom.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but let's also not fall into the trap of condemning everyone who shows a little bit of individuality. Let's not call them white trash and brand them troublemakers. What if George Washington and the boys followed the rules? I'm all for rules and order, but we don't have to follow blindly. I think the issue is silly. I'm in full agreement that things which distract from the educational process should be prohibited, but let's focus on the educational process. Not some kid's haircut. BTW, I have a mullet and I am deeply offended by any disparaging remarks made about mullets or mullet wearing beings.

Apples and Oranges. Comparing George Washington to a mother who refused to follow the rules (notice the child is not implicated) is a bit far stretched. You work to change rules you don't agree with. And she (the mother) was aware of the school policy before she enrolled her child. School (like the military) is not always a democracy . . . rules must be followed in order to provide an environment conducive to learning. They deemed this haircut a distraction . . . the fact that it happened to be a Mohawk is simply not the point.

Mohawks are dumb looking. The mother is an idiot!

Tony Danza has spoken! You can close the thread! :lol::D

When my wife was in high school she dyed her hair purple. Everyone noticed, giggled, and moved on my the end of first period. Not another word was said until the Principle saw her at lunch and sent her home for "being a distraction."

I think Mohawks look at a little silly but if someone wants one that's fine by me. I have a friend who coaches Pee Wee football and the team had mohawks. The coaches told them if they won their little league they would get mohawks too and the kids won! And he had a mohawk for a week or two before it started growing out.

Bah- it's just hair. Who cares?

All that being said the school is a charter school and not a public school. So as far as I am concerned if they ban mohawks then you gotta follow the rules or take your kid elsewhere. Using your child to make a statement is pretty lame.

And whoever said 6 year old boys don't know what they like DOES NOT HAVE A 6 YEAR OLD BOY! I do! I can tell you they do care about their hair, their clothes, and a ton of other stuff. Now does mine get his way all the time? Nope. It's Dad way or the highway. But IMHO my kid's hairstyle is the least my worries.

Tony Danza has spoken! You can close the thread! :lol::D

When my wife was in high school she dyed her hair purple. Everyone noticed, giggled, and moved on my the end of first period. Not another word was said until the Principle saw her at lunch and sent her home for "being a distraction."

I think Mohawks look at a little silly but if someone wants one that's fine by me. I have a friend who coaches Pee Wee football and the team had mohawks. The coaches told them if they won their little league they would get mohawks too and the kids won! And he had a mohawk for a week or two before it started growing out.

Bah- it's just hair. Who cares?

All that being said the school is a charter school and not a public school. So as far as I am concerned if they ban mohawks then you gotta follow the rules or take your kid elsewhere. Using your child to make a statement is pretty lame.

And whoever said 6 year old boys don't know what they like DOES NOT HAVE A 6 YEAR OLD BOY! I do! I can tell you they do care about their hair, their clothes, and a ton of other stuff. Now does mine get his way all the time? Nope. It's Dad way or the highway. But IMHO my kid's hairstyle is the least my worries.

I was trying to sugar coat it....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

One last thing that I want to say:

This is NOT about a kid's choice of hairstyle or his rights.

This is about following rules.

Too much is being made of the mohawk itself.

It's a basic follow the rules or face the consequences issue.

One last thing that I want to say:

This is NOT about a kid's choice of hairstyle or his rights.

This is about following rules.

Too much is being made of the mohawk itself.

It's a basic follow the rules or face the consequences issue.

It's a poorly worded rule and quite vague.