February 19, 200818 yr The way Gillispie explained Meeks playing during the Vandy game is that he was cleared to play but had not practiced leading up to the game, so he did not feel comfortable playing him (not because of the injury). BCG believes strongly in practicing. When the game got out of hand, it gave Meeks an opportunity to get in the game and essentially get some practice time.
February 19, 200818 yr I understand wanting to use Jodie's services, but at some point you have to make the decision to sit him, and let him FULLY heal. Or bring him in when you are down by 40. That's a good idea too. :irked:
February 19, 200818 yr The way Gillispie explained Meeks playing during the Vandy game is that he was cleared to play but had not practiced leading up to the game, so he did not feel comfortable playing him (not because of the injury). BCG believes strongly in practicing. When the game got out of hand, it gave Meeks an opportunity to get in the game and essentially get some practice time. And this makes perfect sense. Of course with UK fans something always has to be made into a bigger deal. I think that Meeks is a good player and a great kid. I think he is battling the having to be "tough" aspect of playing for Billy G. Look at how much that mindset has helped Crawford, Bradley, Patterson, and Stevenson.
February 19, 200818 yr They should've shut Jodie down when they still would've had a case for a medical redshirt. That's gone now, and really, he's not going to do the Cats much good this year. He could be a great player for the team the next two years, and they really need to start focusing on getting him healthy for those seasons.
February 19, 200818 yr My opinion is to sit him until the SEC Tourney in 3 1/2 weeks. If he can go then let him play. If he can play at all setting him out now is to late for full recovery. If Jody wants to play and the doctors say it is OK he should play. The season is almost over and he will have plenty of time to completely heal before next season. In all reality he probably should have been red-shirted, JMO. I'm not blaming BCG for this because I believe the Doctors and Trainers are the one's who make the call.
February 19, 200818 yr I would shut him down at least til the conference tourney and make a decision the week of. I realize that no other players played in the 2nd half at LSU, I was puzzled by that as well. However, they won the game!
February 19, 200818 yr Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but this doesn't seem like a big deal. Just that he didn't do as well in practice one day as he did the day before. Don't let me get in the way of questioning BCG though. Sounds like nothing's changed...he's still day-to-day. In hindsight, maybe he should have been redshirted...that doesn't matter now. As it stands, there's no point in shutting him down unless there's a chance the injury could become much more significant...if that's not the case, then he should play if he's able. He'll have plenty of time to heal when the season's over.
February 19, 200818 yr The problem is Jodie probably wants to play, who knows what he is saying about how he feels. He's wise enough to know that this year is a waste in that whe wouldn't be able to get it back. He simply wants to play. I lied plenty of times to trainers and doctors to get back on the field. Jodie is likely doing some of that as well.
February 19, 200818 yr The problem is Jodie probably wants to play, who knows what he is saying about how he feels. He's wise enough to know that this year is a waste in that whe wouldn't be able to get it back. He simply wants to play. I lied plenty of times to trainers and doctors to get back on the field. Jodie is likely doing some of that as well. And you bring up a good point. Many are blaming BCG, but what is he supposed to think when Meeks is cleared by medical staff and Jodie himself.
February 19, 200818 yr This won't hurt Kentucky, they still easily get a 6 or 7 seed in the tournament. NO BIGGIE! :lol: As everyone has said, he should have probably sat out this year. If UK gets a 6 or 7 seed, I will be very surprised. At this point, getting to the dance would make me happy.
February 19, 200818 yr And you bring up a good point. Many are blaming BCG, but what is he supposed to think when Meeks is cleared by medical staff and Jodie himself. Combined with the knowledge that Meeks at 50% is probably better than half his roster...:scared: I say if he can't do any further damage, then he should still play if able...a redshirt is off the table, so there is no pointing in just shutting him down now, IMO.
February 19, 200818 yr Combined with the knowledge that Meeks at 50% is probably better than half his roster...:scared: I say if he can't do any further damage, then he should still play if able...a redshirt is off the table, so there is no pointing in just shutting him down now, IMO. Don't let logic get in the way of a good billy bash.
February 19, 200818 yr Don't let logic get in the way of a good billy bash. Hey I remember when people were saying the same things you just did about the last coach of ours. I do agree though with playing Meeks if it is not going to cause any further damage, and if Meeks says he can play. That whole Vandy game thing was a little weird, and so was that other game earlier in the year when Meeks suddenly became available. I just hope Meeks can get healthy enough where he can start to play every game from here on out, even if its just for around 8 to 12 minutes a game.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.