February 17, 200818 yr You make it sound like Gillispie didn't recruit any big men. He did, but missed out on them. It happens. Of what quality were those big men though? I seem to remember a thread talking about BCG getting desperate for post help, because he was going after a few who were the last pick of the litter.
February 17, 200818 yr You can have the best guards in the land, but with no middle, it's all for not, IMO. Duke is certainly proving otherwise this year.
February 17, 200818 yr Of what quality were those big men though? I seem to remember a thread talking about BCG getting desperate for post help, because he was going after a few who were the last pick of the litter. The late start BCG got in recruiting for Kentucky has definitely hurt him in recruiting a big man. I don't expect that to be the case in the future.
February 17, 200818 yr Duke is certainly proving otherwise this year. Duke's "bigs" are a little higher caliber than the Perry Stevenson's and Jared Carter's of the world...(And before anyone says anything, I know BCG didn't recruit them, just using them as an example.)
February 17, 200818 yr Of what quality were those big men though? I seem to remember a thread talking about BCG getting desperate for post help, because he was going after a few who were the last pick of the litter. Thats because all of the good ones he went after went to other schools. There is needs at pg and inside. Gillispie has recruited both positions hard. I don't see your point.
February 17, 200818 yr I think the bottom line here is this. No one outside the UK coaching circle knows for 100% certainty who they are going after, who they have soft verbals from, solid verbals from, which players are coming back next year, which ones aren't, etc. We can speculate on here all day but at the end of the day, we don't know for sure. It's not like BCG is playing the season out and then deciding to recruit. He surprised a lot of people by being able to bring in Patterson and Legion as late as he did. I'm not ready to question his recruiting based on a brief summer and halfway through his first season.
February 17, 200818 yr There is already Jasper, but hasnt Liggins been recruited as a PG? Both players can play multiple positions. I haven't seen Liggins enough to know how good of a point guard he actually is. It wouldn't be bad to have a smaller quicker guard to turn to as well, someone to change the pace a little and do some different things on the court.
February 18, 200818 yr Can Jasper, Liggins, and Porter not get us through next year? I can see the need for a PG as well I suppose, but you have to think the next two years UK is already looking at Vilarino and Ross-Miller as PG's committed and coming in for 09 and 10.
February 18, 200818 yr In regards to recruiting, obviously another big or a true 5 would be great, but this roster needs an infusion of athleticism. Their roster is a hodge podge collection of talents. UK has not recruited a bonafide pg since Wayne Turner. They have not had a high profile wing since Tayshaun Prince. Morris was a good catch at the five but those have been few and far between. Both Liggins and Miller are 6'6 or better and both are very versatile. Roster needs an athleticism boost. They need people that can handle the ball and anyone watching this group will tell you, turnovers have absolutely killed them this year.
February 18, 200818 yr Can Jasper, Liggins, and Porter not get us through next year? I can see the need for a PG as well I suppose, but you have to think the next two years UK is already looking at Vilarino and Ross-Miller as PG's committed and coming in for 09 and 10. I don't know. I know Porter is not the answer. I don't know how good of a 1 Liggins is. The Appleton kid, who is a juco kid seems like a good option, even with my dislike for getting juco kids. From what Ive heard Vilarino may not be coming to UK, but we are going to make a big push for John Wall, who is much better. I'm not saying we have to have it, and I do think we could get by, but also, I think we may be better with another pg.
February 18, 200818 yr In regards to recruiting, obviously another big or a true 5 would be great, but this roster needs an infusion of athleticism. Their roster is a hodge podge collection of talents. UK has not recruited a bonafide pg since Wayne Turner. They have not had a high profile wing since Tayshaun Prince. Morris was a good catch at the five but those have been few and far between. Both Liggins and Miller are 6'6 or better and both are very versatile. Roster needs an athleticism boost. They need people that can handle the ball and anyone watching this group will tell you, turnovers have absolutely killed them this year. LBS are you forgetting Rondo for point guard. Pls Hawkins. Bogans was known as a slasher and Crawford was a top notch wing type player as well.
February 18, 200818 yr Love the first part of the next sentence. Yesterday at church,, heard from a guy who has a friend that is a district judge and some UK trustee bigwig or something :lol: that UK has been in contact with John Calipari's people (think how UM and Tubby's agent got together.) The rumors are flying fast and frenzied.
February 18, 200818 yr I don't know. I know Porter is not the answer. I don't know how good of a 1 Liggins is. The Appleton kid, who is a juco kid seems like a good option, even with my dislike for getting juco kids. From what Ive heard Vilarino may not be coming to UK, but we are going to make a big push for John Wall, who is much better. I'm not saying we have to have it, and I do think we could get by, but also, I think we may be better with another pg. It's obvious Porter isnt the answer, but I would expect that the 3 of them could get us through next year. Not to mention Jasper is a true point guard despite his size, and he would probably go at least 30 minutes a game next year anyway. Things arent looking very good for Appleton. I have heard Vilarino isnt living up to his billing, but it is going to be up to the kid whether he comes or not. I dont think BCG is going to pull anything from the kid. Wall is a wing. We may be better with another PG, but the way I look at it is anybody we get at PG at this point for next year besides Appleton is not going to take anything away from Jasper as far as time on the court goes.
February 19, 200818 yr It's obvious Porter isnt the answer, but I would expect that the 3 of them could get us through next year. Not to mention Jasper is a true point guard despite his size, and he would probably go at least 30 minutes a game next year anyway. Things arent looking very good for Appleton. I have heard Vilarino isnt living up to his billing, but it is going to be up to the kid whether he comes or not. I dont think BCG is going to pull anything from the kid. Wall is a wing. We may be better with another PG, but the way I look at it is anybody we get at PG at this point for next year besides Appleton is not going to take anything away from Jasper as far as time on the court goes. According to Rivals and Scout John Wall is the #1 and #2 ranked pointguard respectively in the class of 09. Everything Ive seen has him as a PG. As for next year, I think Gillispie is just trying to find very good players and get as many as he can. I just don't know if Liggins and Jasper is enough, especially considering I haven't seen Liggins play.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.