Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bob Knight resigns from Texas Tech

Featured Replies

So the day you decide to retire someone can say you are a quitter?

 

When you retire when is a good time? Your response is at the end of the season. Well that isn't a good time becuase college sports is a year round job.

 

He left Texas Tech with a head coach. Pat was handling 85% of the daily duties.

 

Tell that to this year's seniors that he bailed on.

  • Replies 66
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was he a jerk to those he didn't like? Yes. Did he run programs the right way? Yes. Did he graduate players? Yes. Did he make those 19 and 20 year old kids better players and better men? Yes. You knew what you were signing up for and if you could handle it, you came out with an education and as a better person.

 

Really? He ran his program "the right way"? There have been a lot of very, very successful coaches who did not have to resort to Knight's antics and bullying. And I would submit that he did little to make these kids "better men." Better players? Sure. Better men? No. Just because he was able to win games with these players didn't make them better men.

Really? He ran his program "the right way"? There have been a lot of very, very successful coaches who did not have to resort to Knight's antics and bullying. And I would submit that he did little to make these kids "better men." Better players? Sure. Better men? No. Just because he was able to win games with these players didn't make them better men.

 

By "running a program the right way" I mean that he never had an NCAA investigation, never had a recruiting violation, and he graduated his players. If you listen to any of his former players, yes, they may have hated him at times but,yes, they learned how to be successful in life.

What's so hard to believe that he just decided that now was the best time to go? If he feels tired, worn down, or has lost a little bit of drive then why drag the team or program down by sticking around? Pat was already in place and ready to take over.

Knight is an all-time great and an icon in the sports world. He can choose to retire whenever he wants.

 

:rolleyes::laugh: You don't quit in the middle of the season on a team that you recruited to play for you (unless its for medical reasons of course).

[/b]

 

:rolleyes::laugh: You don't quit in the middle of the season on a team that you recruited to play for you (unless its for medical reasons of course).

 

I was being somewhat facetious but all reports are that he is tired, feels beatdown, etc. Why continue if you can't keep up to your normal standards? So, yes, it would be considered medical is some sense. And if it were one of his players and he couldn't physically play at 100% for the rest of the season, I don't think he would be considered a quitter.

By "running a program the right way" I mean that he never had an NCAA investigation, never had a recruiting violation, and he graduated his players. If you listen to any of his former players, yes, they may have hated him at times but,yes, they learned how to be successful in life.

 

OK, I agree with the first half of your statement entirely. But do you honestly think that his players became "successful in life" because they played a few short seasons with a foul-mouthed, intimidating, disrepectful bully? They were successful in life because he generally recruited good, smart kids that came from good backgrounds and eventually got degrees from an outstanding academic institution.

He always did things the right way, but sometimes, I didn't agree with his methods.

At least he won his last game coached.He would not have one his last one at the end of the year(most likely):D

OK, I agree with the first half of your statement entirely. But do you honestly think that his players became "successful in life" because they played a few short seasons with a foul-mouthed, intimidating, disrepectful bully? They were successful in life because he generally recruited good, smart kids that came from good backgrounds and eventually got degrees from an outstanding academic institution.

 

Well, they learned to use the English language in new a creative ways. :lol:

 

I think most appreciated the discipline (even if they didn't like it at times). I also think that he DID help his players become better people. If you watched "Knight School" at all, he brought in the wheel chair basketball team and had his guys play with them. He did teach life lessons. I think you have more former players and assistants that appreciate what he did for them than the other way around. He's not all bad.

Also, I'm not saying that approve of ALL that he did either.

Regardless of whether it was "his time" or not, he still walked out on his players, mainly his seniors. You have to feel for them, because even though they have a coach that has been around them just as much, I'm sure it's not the same as having Knight there, and I'm sure the players are feeling somewhat abandoned.

By "running a program the right way" I mean that he never had an NCAA investigation, never had a recruiting violation, and he graduated his players. If you listen to any of his former players, yes, they may have hated him at times but,yes, they learned how to be successful in life.

 

What's Neil Reed's phone number? I'd like to ask him if he agrees with the above.

What's Neil Reed's phone number? I'd like to ask him if he agrees with the above.

 

There is one. How many more?

 

I mean, I know Knight was a rough personality, but do all of you really think he didnt have the kids best interest in heart throughout his career? You dont do something for that long and not make some bad decisions, but also a lot of good decisions.

 

I understand Pat was running the show for the most part anyway, so do you really believe he "bailed" on the seniors? If I had to bet, it wasnt something that he just decided on himself. He probably had a big team meeting in which he aired out what was on his mind and what he was thinking. I'm sure he took the coaches and players thoughts into account.

There is one. How many more?

 

I mean, I know Knight was a rough personality, but do all of you really think he didnt have the kids best interest in heart throughout his career? You dont do something for that long and not make some bad decisions, but also a lot of good decisions.

 

I understand Pat was running the show for the most part anyway, so do you really believe he "bailed" on the seniors? If I had to bet, it wasnt something that he just decided on himself. He probably had a big team meeting in which he aired out what was on his mind and what he was thinking. I'm sure he took the coaches and players thoughts into account.

 

Exactly, but you have to realize that some people just don't care. If Knight had stayed on and then announced in March that he was retiring because he was exhausted and tired over the last month and a half and wasn't giving his best effort, these same people would have blasted him for not resigning now and bringing the program down.

I was just watching WKYT (Lexington) News, they were talking to Coach Joe B. Hall on some of his comments on Knight. Of course he said how great a coach that he was as all have. Joe B. was very complimentary of Knight.

 

One story that he had that I found funny was that he (Hall) said that the first four times that his teams played I.U./Knights teams that Knight had won.

By the time that Joe B. retired he said that he had won eight of the last twelve over Knight and I.U. (including the 75' win in a regional final to go to te final four over what some say was Knights best team, better than the unbeaten 76' I.U. team). Anyway Joe B. said that him and Knight were always best of friends, went hunting and fishing together a lot at first but when Joe B. started beating him reguarly all of a sudden Knight didn't want to go fishing or didn't call as often....:eek::lol:.

I guess the lesson here would be that if you wanted to be good friends with Bob Knight make sure that he beats you all the time. (LOL)

 

 

(Joe Hall ended up with a 8-8 record with Bob Knight)

I was just watching WKYT (Lexington) News, they were talking to Coach Joe B. Hall on some of his comments on Knight. Of course he said how great a coach that he was as all have. Joe B. was very complimentary of Knight.

 

One story that he had that I found funny was that he (Hall) said that the first four times that his teams played I.U./Knights teams that Knight had won.

By the time that Joe B. retired he said that he had won eight of the last twelve over Knight and I.U. (including the 75' win in a regional final to go to te final four over what some say was Knights best team, better than the unbeaten 76' I.U. team). Anyway Joe B. said that him and Knight were always best of friends, went hunting and fishing together a lot at first but when Joe B. started beating him reguarly all of a sudden Knight didn't want to go fishing or didn't call as often....:eek::lol:.

I guess the lesson here would be that if you wanted to be good friends with Bob Knight make sure that he beats you all the time. (LOL)

 

 

(Joe Hall ended up with a 8-8 record with Bob Knight)

 

 

Their relationship was severely strained by the '75 season. In the regular season game IU kicked KY all over the court. Late in the game Knight walked over in front of the UK bench to argue a call despite being up by 20 or 30. (No coaches box then)

 

Hall, quipped to Knight something about, "Give it a rest Bobby you don't want all the calls do you?"

 

Knight retorted something to the effect of, "You coach your team and I'll coach mine."

 

With that Hall said he was sorry and meant nothing by it. When Joe B. turned to go back to his seat, Knight cuffed him on the back of the head. Knight held out his hands and said, "I didn't mean anything by that either Joe."

 

It so incensed Hall and UK that when they met in the Regional Finals Revenge was the best part of the upset. I think Knight never got over the loss and Hall never trusted Bobby again. They stayed cordial but nowhere near the buddies they had been before.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.