Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Super Bowl XLII: Giants 17 Patriots 14

Featured Replies

With the exception of the spot on 3rd down for the Giants, I thought the officiating was very good.

 

I was very pleased with the officiating last night. I think they COULD have called Eli "in the grasp" on the big play to Tyree, but thats just a toss up. I didnt really notice the officials last night, which is good.

  • Replies 275
  • Views 23.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sports Guy Simmons on SB

 

I've only made it about halfway through, but it's pretty hilarious. :lol:

 

This makes me happy the Pats lost. I wish I could get my hands on a huge picture of his facial expression as time expired last night.

I was very pleased with the officiating last night. I think they COULD have called Eli "in the grasp" on the big play to Tyree, but thats just a toss up. I didnt really notice the officials last night, which is good.

 

No they couldn't have called him in the grasp, and it's good that they didn't. He wasn't even close to going down, ever.

No they couldn't have called him in the grasp, and it's good that they didn't. He wasn't even close to going down, ever.

 

As a fan of neither team, they could have called him in the grasp.

As a fan of neither team, they could have called him in the grasp.

 

No offense to you or NoBizlikeShowbiz but while im sure they could have made the in the grasp call, doing so would have been the wrong call. Even with all my biases being a Giants fan just watching that play in real time on youtube over and over again, Eli is only in the player's clutches for two seconds max and only appears to be potentially unable to get out of it for a fraction of a second. I think you could poll a majority of refs on this play and find that most wouldn't have called it. Heck its such a quick moment when Eli is even in their grasp that by the time they could have called it he'd have escaped making the call look bad.

 

I don't even think either player for the Patriots managed to get both hands on him. There is a split second where they both have hold of him with one arm each but that seems to be it.

As a fan of neither team, they could have called him in the grasp.

 

I've talked to many non-biased people who said that would have been STUPID to call. And it would have been, which is why the refs didn't make that call. I'm not even sure why we're discussing it. It's not an issue, it SHOULDN'T have been called, and it wasn't. Thank God they didn't call it, otherwise it would have negated one of the, if not the greatest plays in Super Bowl history.

No offense to you or NoBizlikeShowbiz but while im sure they could have made the in the grasp call, doing so would have been the wrong call. Even with all my biases being a Giants fan just watching that play in real time on youtube over and over again, Eli is only in the player's clutches for two seconds max and only appears to be potentially unable to get out of it for a fraction of a second. I think you could poll a majority of refs on this play and find that most wouldn't have called it. Heck its such a quick moment when Eli is even in their grasp that by the time they could have called it he'd have escaped making the call look bad.

 

I don't even think either player for the Patriots managed to get both hands on him. There is a split second where they both have hold of him with one arm each but that seems to be it.

 

:thumb: I think some people are disagreeing for arguments sake. :laugh::dancingpa

:thumb: I think some people are disagreeing for arguments sake. :laugh::dancingpa

 

Hey I understand the frustrations of plays like that for a Pats fan who would like to see their team win. Im sure a lot of people on here are wondering just like me how Bradshaw's one fumble where the Patriot lineman fell directly on the ball and yet the Giants recovered the fumble after replays seemed to indicate Bradshaw only recovered the fumble after fighting with the Patriot after he probably should have been ruled down. Still, even that play the Patriots had every opportunity to challenge and didn't.

Hey I understand the frustrations of plays like that for a Pats fan who would like to see their team win. Im sure a lot of people on here are wondering just like me how Bradshaw's one fumble where the Patriot lineman fell directly on the ball and yet the Giants recovered the fumble after replays seemed to indicate Bradshaw only recovered the fumble after fighting with the Patriot after he probably should have been ruled down. Still, even that play the Patriots had every opportunity to challenge and didn't.

 

Bradshaw wanted it more. That play would not have been over ruled.

 

Colin Cowherd kills me though. He said Burress caught the ball and fumbled it on one of his drops. It is obvious that Burress never had full possession before dropping it, still yet Cowherd the moron says Burress OBVIOUSLY had possession and fumbled and the Giants caught a break. He named off four HUGE breaks the Giants caught and thats why they won...

 

Can't just give them credit for being better can he? I've never liked Colin Cowherd and this doesn't help. I wish Dan Patrick was still on ESPN Radio. :lol:

Colin Cowherd kills me though. He said Burress caught the ball and fumbled it on one of his drops. It is obvious that Burress never had full possession before dropping it, still yet Cowherd the moron says Burress OBVIOUSLY had possession and fumbled and the Giants caught a break. He named off four HUGE breaks the Giants caught and thats why they won...

 

I know the play you are talking about. No catch. In real time I thought it looked close. Replay seemed to show he never had any real possession of the ball and even at that didn't even come close to an athletic move with the ball. Oh well, if Ifs, Ands, and Buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas!!! or whatever version of that you care for.

I wouldn't say any of it was boring, since it was the most watched super bowl in the history of football.

 

The 2nd most watched TV program since the series finale of Mash.

It was the most watched SB because of what was at stake.
I know a bunch of people (non-giant fans, non patriot fans) who thought it was the best super bowl ever. Including Mike and Mike in the Morning, they thought it was one of the best.
We could go back and forth all day on this, we'll just agree to disagree.. I'm just glad the Giants won.
No offense to you or NoBizlikeShowbiz but while im sure they could have made the in the grasp call, doing so would have been the wrong call.

 

I agree.

Congratulations to halfback20.

 

I really wanted to see a team run the table, but alas it isn't meant to be. The Giants were a "team of destiny". I don't mean that as an insult...I think they outplayed the Pats and deserved to win. I just think when you look at what they accomplished and how they did it, it's really amazing. All the road wins, and of course, the play...Eli should have been sacked twice, he throws a virtual hail mary, and David Tyree makes an amazing catch...congratulations to the Giants. I agree with RP, the better team won Sunday night...it doesn't matter whether you think the Patriots would win more than they'd lose in a series against the Giants. The fact is, the Giants outplayed them in the game that mattered.

 

I guess they have to give the MVP to one guy, but IMO, the Giants D-line deserved the MVP in this game.

 

Overall though, I cannot agree that this was anywhere close to the greatest Super Bowl ever. The game was downright boring to me until the end. It was quite similar to the Patriots/Panthers Super Bowl...not much action and then a good final quarter. The difference is that the Pats/Panthers game had a more exciting final quarter.

 

I'll say that they pass to Tyree deserves to be on a short list of all-time great Super Bowl plays, but the game as a whole does not.

Bradshaw wanted it more. That play would not have been over ruled.

 

Colin Cowherd kills me though. He said Burress caught the ball and fumbled it on one of his drops. It is obvious that Burress never had full possession before dropping it, still yet Cowherd the moron says Burress OBVIOUSLY had possession and fumbled and the Giants caught a break. He named off four HUGE breaks the Giants caught and thats why they won...

 

Can't just give them credit for being better can he? I've never liked Colin Cowherd and this doesn't help. I wish Dan Patrick was still on ESPN Radio. :lol:

 

This may be the best officiated Super Bowl I've ever watched. The refs let the players decide the game and that's how a Super Bowl should be.

 

1. Burress did not fumble...yes, he landed with two feet, but NFL rules state a guy has to land and then make a "football move" (or something like that) and, IMO, Burress did not.

 

2. As much I wanted to say they did, the Patriots did not recover that Bradshaw fumble. The Pats player clearly FELL on the ball, but it was also clearly laying under his stomach and he did not have control of it. He was merely laying on it and Bradshaw managed to get in there and get control of it. It was a great play by him and a lucky break for the Giants. Just one of those things...

 

I can't think of any other plays...the only clearly bad officiating, IMO, was on the long pass that Toomer caught. He obviously extended his arm and shoved the Patriots DB in the facemask to create space to make the catch...should have been offensive pass interference. As it turned out, the Patriots intercepted a pass later in that drive, so it didn't amount to anything.

 

They should let this crew officiate every Super Bowl. I think back to the Seattle vs. Pittsburgh game when the refs made 3 crucial calls that were ticky tack at best, and wrong at worst, that really helped the Steelers. That wasn't the case this time...the Giants just outplayed New England and won the game.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.