Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dress code for Players?

Featured Replies

Absolutely a dress code. It's not going to kill anyone to wear a pair of khakis slacks, a dress shirt and tie. At the least, khakis and a uniform colored polo.

 

And let me tell you, these days a dress code is even more essential on the girls' side. Otherwise, look out!:eek:

  • Replies 50
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, I think the attire can be simple. Nothing wrong with the school warm-up thing. I just can't stand to see kids walk in with a hat on turned sideways...ipod in ears...pants down to the knees...and walking like they are in a rap music video.

 

Ditto:thumb:

It all comes down to choice, from the Coaching Staff. Some programs have codes and others don't. Some feel it's pride and professionalism, while others like letting the student-athletes be themselves.

 

I prefer a dress code but I've seen warm-ups, with extremely neat/well manned players, so whichever is preferred. At the same time, make a lasting impression as a student-athlete, because you never know who is watching and evaluating.

When I played we had to wear shirt and ties to all of the games home or away, and I hated every minute of it. I thought it looked stupid and felt even worse. Team warmups is the way to go.

When I played we had to wear shirt and ties to all of the games home or away, and I hated every minute of it. I thought it looked stupid and felt even worse. Team warmups is the way to go.
While you may not have liked it and most team warmups, are very snazzy today, did you ever think about who is looking.

 

College coaches in attendance, watch players demeanor before, during and after the game. They are looking for the true character, to be revealed and often times, dressed casual will make a tremendous first impression....it's up to the player, to maintain that opinion, regardless of attire.

There is nothing wrong with having teams from grades 7-12 wear a shirt and tie to games. When I was there, we did team sweat to school and to games for road games, and shirts and ties to school and to games for home games.

 

I think its more though than just basic apparel. No excessive or blingy jewelry. The preference would be no hat at all, but if it happens to be cold or something, wear the hat the right way; nothing backwards etc. Appropriate haircuts should also be minded. Its all about image guys. You don't know how much it does for you until you see the benefits...

My son's 6th grade traveling team wears traveling suits. Not the fleece sweat suits, which I don't like at all, but the nylon flannel-lined suits in the school colors. They look so nice walking into the gym and many times we have received compliments from the other coaches and parents.

While at St. Henry you must always wear a dress shirt, tie, and dress shoes to school and to the game. I have seen some school even ask players to wear a suit, which to me seems a little much.

 

I have a question though.....I'm a 7th grade middle school coach and I ask my players to wear a collared shirt, dress pants, belt, and dress shoes to every game. Is this too much???

 

 

Absolutely not. Those clothes don't cost any more than jeans and a hooded sweatshirt.

 

Not too long ago almost every kid, at every school, at every level in NKY had to wear a tie to school and usually to the game on gameday. But, then a lot of things were different not to long ago I guess.:fire:

 

In any event, I don't think it's too much at all. As I think someone else on here said, this type of dress code is how I learned to tie a tie.

I definitely think a shirt and tie is appropriate. It is a great life lesson for these kids that are representing their schools...

While at St. Henry you must always wear a dress shirt, tie, and dress shoes to school and to the game. I have seen some school even ask players to wear a suit, which to me seems a little much.

 

I have a question though.....I'm a 7th grade middle school coach and I ask my players to wear a collared shirt, dress pants, belt, and dress shoes to every game. Is this too much???

 

Not asking too much and necessary in my opinion. My son's 7th grade coaches require them to wear shirt/tie and khaki's but not necessarily dress shoes to school for every road game. I think it makes the kids feel important and it helps represent the school when going to away games. They also have team sweat suits but only wear those after the game when leaving the locker room or for home games. Its not that big of a deal to buy a couple shirts and a tie or two. Heck, I havent had to wear a tie to work in 7 yrs so I have a ton I pass down.

 

If the school is inner city where parents cannot afford this then I think a fundraiser or some other form of raising money should happen prior to the season so they can purchase atleast one or two nice outfits to wear. Take some concession money, gate money, etc...It is nice to see even kids from inner city poor areas looking nice when they come to games and like I stated earlier it makes them feel important.

Again, I think the attire can be simple. Nothing wrong with the school warm-up thing. I just can't stand to see kids walk in with a hat on turned sideways...ipod in ears...pants down to the knees...and walking like they are in a rap music video.

 

I agree, with all that you said except the ipod headphone thing. I can see where you come from with this. It doesn't bother me to see a kid listening to music before a game. But, I agree 100% that their pants should be at their waist and no ball caps, even if turned straight.

I agree, with all that you said except the ipod headphone thing. I can see where you come from with this. It doesn't bother me to see a kid listening to music before a game. But, I agree 100% that their pants should be at their waist and no ball caps, even if turned straight.

 

I meant no harm on the ipod thing. Was trying to just give an overall picture.

 

 

It is funny because I have some kids that work for me the summer. If I see them with the pants lows and hat sideways. I kindly fix it for them!! :lol::lol::lol:

I like the dress code for games. If you don't have a problem with not having a dress code if you enforce that the kids wear a belt and have their pants pulled up, no hoods on their head and wear your hat the correct way.

I couldn't disagree more. IMO it all goes back to being a team and having some discipline. Just because "this is the way everyone does it now" doesn't make it right. I think the purpose is served by teaching young men/woman the proper way to present themselves and to have some self respect.

 

I know. I didn't figure anyone who had weighed in would agree but it seems to me that we keep making the same mistakes our parents made and we whinned about, ie. judging people (or team in this case) by their dress or hair. I truely do not think it makes one bit of difference in how a kid plays as to what he wears to a game. And as for college scouts? They don't care how a kid is dressed or if he's listening to music before a game, they are interested in how he plays the game. I know everyone thinks "it looks better" and so on but I'm telling you, it's just not nearly as important as what's in a kid's heart and mind!

In the 70's during our away games we wore dress suits with our team logo on the jacket.

Our team was horrible but we looked good getting off the bus.:lol:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.