Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dress code for Players?

Featured Replies

Again, I think the attire can be simple. Nothing wrong with the school warm-up thing. I just can't stand to see kids walk in with a hat on turned sideways...ipod in ears...pants down to the knees...and walking like they are in a rap music video.

  • Replies 50
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
While at St. Henry you must always wear a dress shirt, tie, and dress shoes to school and to the game. I have seen some school even ask players to wear a suit, which to me seems a little much.

 

I have a question though.....I'm a 7th grade middle school coach and I ask my players to wear a collared shirt, dress pants, belt, and dress shoes to every game. Is this too much???

 

No, I don't think that is too much. The price of a collared shirt and dress pants are no more than jeans and a hooded sweatshirt. For example, team colored polo shirts still make them look like a team.

They also make inmates dress alike in jail. Aside from basketball teams impressing a few spectators by dressing up/and/or/alike I really don't think it serves much of a purpose. I don't think it leads to a cohesion of the team and I don't think it makes them play better, which is where they really represent their respective schools. I think they should have to stay within the framework of the dress code at school but other then that, dress as they wish. Now if they choose to wear warmups or dress alike, that may lead to some teamwork.

I have always thought they should wear a shirt and tie on the road. The coach also should wear a tie. I was told a long time ago by an old school coach that a casual appearance leads to a casual effort.

Yes and it is a hardship for some of the students, Do you know how fast they grow at that age.. In MS I prefer nice jeans (no holes) and a team sweatshirt or hoody. It gives uniformity, comfort and is not too expensive.

 

Then a team bag to go along.

 

I coach at a private school. These kids must follow basically the same dress code for school rules. (only diffrence might be the colors aloud to be worn)

 

And the kids I have coached don't seem to grow at all. Must be all the running we do? I wear them out so much they can't grow.

I 100% agree with a "dress code" / policy for players. I belive that it not only goes for dress but imo should be for length of, grooming of hair and for facial hair as well. I could see a team dressing in "all the same warm up type jacket and pants" if the school had provided "team" warm ups.

Other than that, would be in favor of a nice pair of slacks/shirt or sweater. Also, as for facial hair mentioned above, imo no facial hair and no piercings - any jewelry should and would be removed while traveling and representing the school and not just removed for the game itself.

I think they should be dressed nicely or in the same type of team issued sweat suit!

Back in the day at St. Henry, we had to wear a white shirt and red tie in school and to the game. That's actually where I learned how to tie a tie.

 

Personally, it looks more professional to wear a shirt and tie rather than sweats or warm-ups.

 

"Travel Suits" don't look bad, but IMO, it's all or none. Either all wear them or not.

I coach at a private school. These kids must follow basically the same dress code for school rules. (only diffrence might be the colors aloud to be worn)

 

And the kids I have coached don't seem to grow at all. Must be all the running we do? I wear them out so much they can't grow.

 

I laughed at this forever...I am worried about the children you coach, Do you not provide food?

 

I like the warm-up suggestion also, but that would not fit the dress code for most MS.

When I played at Walton - Verona we had to wear dress pants and tie. If you did not, you did not play. it is alright to wear sweats to away games but keep them pulled up.

Campbell COunty players 9 times out of 10 wear a shirt and tie to not only games but school. On the other day they wear their team sweats.

Kahkis and the school colored shirt is what I would go with.

CovCath wears a collared shirt to every game if I remember correctly. I remember in 8th grade basketball we had to wear a shirt and tie.

 

Back in the day so very long ago, we at CovCath were required to wear the following; dark blue blazer with the CovCath emblem sewn on the breast pocket, CovCath tie, long sleeve light blue button down cotton shirt with the top button always buttoned, leather black belt, dress dark gray slacks, dark socks and dress shoes. At no time before or after the game were we allowed to be dressed in anything else. When we went on the road to play games (I think we spent something like 14 nights in motels/hotels my senior year) on the bus, we were allowed to take off our Blazers and loosen up our tie, but that was about it. Must admit most kids today would gag at the way we were dressed, but times were different then..... :thumb:

They also make inmates dress alike in jail. Aside from basketball teams impressing a few spectators by dressing up/and/or/alike I really don't think it serves much of a purpose. I don't think it leads to a cohesion of the team and I don't think it makes them play better, which is where they really represent their respective schools. I think they should have to stay within the framework of the dress code at school but other then that, dress as they wish. Now if they choose to wear warmups or dress alike, that may lead to some teamwork.

I couldn't disagree more. IMO it all goes back to being a team and having some discipline. Just because "this is the way everyone does it now" doesn't make it right. I think the purpose is served by teaching young men/woman the proper way to present themselves and to have some self respect.

I like a dress code and it's better to look at then a bunch of kid's having to pull there jeans up every 30 seconds. A nice looking warm up suit looks much better than jeans also. Our 7th graders have a dress code and look alot nicer than our varsity.:thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.