Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dress code for Players?

Featured Replies

Should High Schools have a dress code for their players? IMO yes. Some schools that I have seen (Deming, Pendleton Co., and St. Pat) evidently have one because their players are always dressed nice(dress shirts and pants). These players are representing their school and should show pride in their school and themselves. Ragged jeans and tee shirts with the arns cut off, that I have also seen, are just not representing the school very well. Just wondered if anyone else felt the same way.

  • Replies 50
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a great idea for the kids to look nice coming to games. That doesn't necessarily mean suits and ties though. It's hard to travel on buses or vans dressed like that for a long period of time. I think that if they are playing at home they could come dressed in shirts and ties, but if they are on the road, they should be comfortable while they travel and maybe have a team warm up suit or sweat suits like most of them have anyways. It still looks nice and shows team unity and does represent the school and it's colors well. Just my opinion on the topic.

I think teams should adopt a dress code, whether it be shirt and tie or team warmups. When I played, we had to wear a shirt and tie on game day. Nowadays, you see a lot of teams showing up in some type of warmup, which I personally prefer over the shirt and tie thing. Either way, they should do something and not just show up in jeans and a t-shirt/sweatshirt.

I totally agree with this. Even if it is something simple!!!!

A coach once told me that he implemented a suit and tie dress code for his players for road games. Of the 12 road games they had, they were the victims of locker room thefts four times. In the past two years, they have went back to wearing school-issued sweats to road games and have not been victimized once.

 

I found the parallel interesting. I have heard the same thing happening to another school that adopted a coat and tie dress code.

Coach Hicks always made us wear shirt and tie to the away games when he was at Corbin. Not sure if he still requires that dress code.

Nowadays, you see a lot of teams showing up in some type of warmup, which I personally prefer over the shirt and tie thing. Either way, they should do something and not just show up in jeans and a t-shirt/sweatshirt.

 

Agree with this...

I think it's a great idea for the kids to look nice coming to games. That doesn't necessarily mean suits and ties though. It's hard to travel on buses or vans dressed like that for a long period of time. I think that if they are playing at home they could come dressed in shirts and ties, but if they are on the road, they should be comfortable while they travel and maybe have a team warm up suit or sweat suits like most of them have anyways. It still looks nice and shows team unity and does represent the school and it's colors well. Just my opinion on the topic.

 

I definitely like your suggestion for the dress code on the road.

Our guys purchase "travel suits" - nice looking, lettered, sweats - for the specific purpose of wearing them on the road or when out of town.

 

They are uniform, as well as being comfortable. Besides that, the players really like them.

I too think the players should got to the games dressed nice I pefere alike warmups that way you know they are a team , not a bunch of boys coming to watch the game.:thumb:

CovCath wears a collared shirt to every game if I remember correctly. I remember in 8th grade basketball we had to wear a shirt and tie.

I like the uniformed warm ups or something like that. Not very comfortable riding a bus for 2 hours in shirt and tie when you are not used to wearing one. We are talking about young men not paid athletes. If dress codes are used then I certainly hope the schools programs pay for the uniforms or coat and ties. That can be difficult for smaller programs.

My first couple of years at Bell Co. under Whitaker, we always had to wear a shirt and tie to home and away games. That was relaxed the last two years to just a collared shirt and slacks. I believe he got even more relaxed after that and just let them wear whatever they wore to school.

I like the idea of the team sweats or jumpsuits for home and away games as well. Most teams now are doing it, but it wasnt done a lot in the late 90's early 2000's.

While at St. Henry you must always wear a dress shirt, tie, and dress shoes to school and to the game. I have seen some school even ask players to wear a suit, which to me seems a little much.

 

I have a question though.....I'm a 7th grade middle school coach and I ask my players to wear a collared shirt, dress pants, belt, and dress shoes to every game. Is this too much???

While at St. Henry you must always wear a dress shirt, tie, and dress shoes to school and to the game. I have seen some school even ask players to wear a suit, which to me seems a little much.

 

I have a question though.....I'm a 7th grade middle school coach and I ask my players to wear a collared shirt, dress pants, belt, and dress shoes to every game. Is this too much???

 

 

Yes and it is a hardship for some of the students, Do you know how fast they grow at that age.. In MS I prefer nice jeans (no holes) and a team sweatshirt or hoody. It gives uniformity, comfort and is not too expensive.

 

Then a team bag to go along.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.