Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tom Larkey to Harlan?

Featured Replies

Then who would take over?

 

Not sure, but I would almost guarantee it won't be Chris or Dackery.

  • Replies 304
  • Views 23.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My short list (front runners in bold): Blair, Parkey, Josh Martin, Poynter, Clay County head coach

 

Leonidas, Scott Parkey is the leading assistant. He had some HUGE success as a middle school coach. He coached Regan, Leger, and the rest of those teams and even had a 3-4 year undefeated streak.

 

 

So Scott Parkey only has middle school experience. from what I always thought Coach Larkey called the offense of Friday nights and his son Chris did the JV offense, and his other son Dackery did the freshmen offense. I dont believe Coach Parkey has any experiance coaching any level of high school, unless he did in the last 3 years. Why doesnt his son want the job? Also coach Larkey came from London, not harlan but was there at some point in his career.

 

 

Here's what I heard guys. Coach Larkey has NOT accepted the job yet. As of now nothing is official. I'm not saying he won't, but right now nothing is official.

 

As for why I don't think either of his sons will take over as head coach...

 

I just don't think Coach Larkey's oldest son Chris wants the job, and I'm not sure Dackery would either considering he's still in college, but who knows. Dackery is fairly young so I doubt they'd offer it to him. He knows Rockcastle football inside and out though, as does Chris.

 

I think Coach Parkey would be a great coach if Larkey decides to leave. I'm sure J.D. Bussell would be a candidate if he weren't the head coach of baseball as well. Also, if Adam Coleman hadn't resigned a year or so ago, he might be a head coaching candidate, but I'm not sure if he'd be interested in it or not.

 

I would think that if Coach Larkey leaves, Parkey could be a candidate to take over. But if he leaves then they may have to hire an entirely new staff because I think many of the other assistants would leave as well.

I agree, but there is no defusing a rumor when its really the truth. From my understanding it's a done deal.

 

It is not a done deal at this point.

It is not a done deal at this point.

 

Ok, once again "its a done deal" was not the right thing to say. Here is what I think, Coach Larkey just hasn't said anything yet because when a coach leaves a school he or she would like to do it on their own terms. This of course doesn't always happen that way; but typically when a coach leaves on thier own to take another job they just don't go around telling people weeks in advance - for one simple fact - life could (not saying that it would) be made hard on them or their family before they leave. If its true about Coach Larkey and the Black Bears, then I would say he's waiting to maybe Friday to tell his players or whoever he's going to tell. I guess we will all know for sure on Monday. :thumb:

Ok, once again "its a done deal" was not the right thing to say. Here is what I think, Coach Larkey just hasn't said anything yet because when a coach leaves a school he or she would like to do it on their own terms. This of course doesn't always happen that way; but typically when a coach leaves on thier own to take another job they just don't go around telling people weeks in advance - for one simple fact - life could (not saying that it would) be made hard on them or their family before they leave. If its true about Coach Larkey and the Black Bears, then I would say he's waiting to maybe Friday to tell his players or whoever he's going to tell. I guess we will all know for sure on Monday. :thumb:

 

I've talked to his son. It's not a done deal.

 

That doesn't mean he won't accept it in the future. He just hasn't yet.

Alright guys, I am back finally, I have all my classes crammed together. I could NOT get in touch with Chris, whenever I called the school and got his extension nobody ever answered, I will try again tomorrow. I have Big Tom's cell phone, but I will not call it. The guy is handling enough without me complicating it further but halfback20 is a reliable guy, if he says that Chris/Dackery says nothing is final, then thats the way it is.

 

IMO, all the signs are pointing to him leaving. The banquet is the day before Harlan announces their new coach. I know that the rocket banquet has been announced for quite some time but Harlan doesn't have to announce their new coach the day after, do they? The banquet will be the first chance that Tom will have the chance to announce anything to his entire team and he will want them to know from him before the papers pick it up.

 

As a proud Rockets fan, I want Tom to stay. He is a great coach, and this troubled time only makes us realize that more. As a realist and a "glass half-empty/hope for the best, prepare for the worst" kinda guy; I have to look at the big-huge-figurative-sign written in the stars that says he is gone.

I think we should all just wait until the coach is named by the Harlan County Schools.

I think we should all just wait until the coach is named by the Harlan County Schools.

 

What fun is that :D

What fun is that :D
True:lol:
I think we should all just wait until the coach is named by the Harlan County Schools.

 

:thumb: I agree!!

What fun is that :D

 

Your're right, that is no fun at all :lol:

I've talked to his son. It's not a done deal.

 

That doesn't mean he won't accept it in the future. He just hasn't yet.

 

I would say that if his son knows whether he is taking the job or not (and I'm sure he does) then he wouldn't tell anyone out of respect for his dad. I'm not saying at all that what his son said to you is not true or anything, but to me that seems like the best way for a son to handle it.

I just don't know about you Mr. Youngblood. You seem to be letting on like you know more than you actually do. I agree with the fortune cookie quote about you. Maybe you have been eating out at foreign establishments to much this week?

If Larkey wants the job and has taken it, he will not tell anyone until his players know. Of course not stating facts, but to much of a coincidense for this to be false. Usually where there is smoke there is fire. If he doesn't change his mind, I believe that he has told them (Harlan County) that he would take it. I don't care if any of you are a best friend you can't call him on the phone and he tell you, so you can put it here or rest your mind.

 

If he does change his mind Harlan County will not look good after this. Hilton went a couple weeks and turned them down. Now Larkey waiting this long and changing his mind, what then?

 

Where are you Blackbears 08? Give us the inside, because we know you have it.

 

Maybe third choice dips into Lexington?

If he does change his mind Harlan County will not look good after this. Hilton went a couple weeks and turned them down. Now Larkey waiting this long and changing his mind, what then?

 

 

The same scenario didn't hurt Knox Central a bit. KC is very pleased with the coach they wound up with. Harlan Co. will be a plum job. They will find a good coach.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.