Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

OJ In Some NCAA Trouble?

Featured Replies

L.A. Times -

There's a report in the L.A. Times saying that phenom freshman O.J. Mayo may have violated NCAA rules by accepting tickets to Monday's Lakers-Nuggets' game from Nuggets' guard Carmelo Anthony.

 

NCAA bylaw 16.11.2.2.3 states that student-athletes may not receive "free or reduced-cost admission to professional athletics contests from professional sports organizations, unless such services also are available to the student body in general."

 

It was not immediately clear if the NCAA would consider Anthony an agent of the Nuggets or merely an individual who gave tickets to a friend.

 

The tickets Mayo received were located behind courtside seats near mid-court and had a face value of $230 each.

 

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-uschoops23jan23,1,26457.story?track=rss

  • Replies 31
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much to do about nothing. He and Melo are friends. Friends give friends tickets.

Much to do about nothing. He and Melo are friends. Friends give friends tickets.

 

Agreed...

  • Author
Much to do about nothing. He and Melo are friends. Friends give friends tickets.

 

I feel the same way, but knowing how nitpicky the NCAA can be, this was a pretty stupid move.

^^^Stupid move to give the tickets or to accept them? I see no problem with friends giving friends tickets. How does this stuff even get out as public information? I guess if someone saw OJ sitting in those seats the investigation was started. Hopefully, they don't prosecute the kid for that. he has been a pretty good student thus far and I hope this doen't cause him or his team any harm.

This is a waste of printing on newspaper. Nothing will happen or should it.

Melo has no connection w/ USC as far as I know.

OJ should have known better than to do this....

 

Has to be punished...

OJ should have known better than to do this....

 

Has to be punished...

 

For what?

 

Sorry his friends are rich and can give him tickets to a game.

NCAA bylaw 16.11.2.2.3 states that student-athletes may not receive "free or reduced-cost admission to professional athletics contests from professional sports organizations, unless such services also are available to the student body in general."

 

 

Well, if members of the student body are friends with a professional athlete, which would not be unheard of at USC, then they would get the tickets. What is the big deal? It's not like he's being recruited to the Nuggets.

Probably reimburse the cost of the tickets, promise to never do it again and that is it.

NCAA bylaw 16.11.2.2.3 states that student-athletes may not receive "free or reduced-cost admission to professional athletics contests from professional sports organizations, unless such services also are available to the student body in general."

 

The tickets weren't from the team, they were directly from a player and friend of OJ. I see no violation...

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the same OJ Mayo that was rumored to have been involved in all kinds of rules violations in playing for Rose Hill a few years back. This guy has had the rules bent for him before, maybe he just thinks they can be bent for him now...sometimes you have to learn a lesson when you break the rules.

NCAA bylaw 16.11.2.2.3 states that student-athletes may not receive "free or reduced-cost admission to professional athletics contests from professional sports organizations, unless such services also are available to the student body in general."

 

The tickets weren't from the team, they were directly from a player and friend of OJ. I see no violation...

But that friend happens to be employeed by said sports organization. I would guess that makes him an extension of the organization. I could see this going either way.

 

For the record I don't feel he did anything wrong.

But that friend happens to be employeed by said sports organization. I would guess that makes him an extension of the organization. I could see this going either way.

 

For the record I don't feel he did anything wrong.

 

I'm with you on this, I don't think OJ did anything wrong but I can see where they might consider Melo a representative of the organization. Even if they do, Mayo shouldn't be punished.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.