UK Recruiting for 08...

letabrotherspeak

Saw the thread for the 09 Centers...but UK still has to tie some loose ends with the 08 class.

A good start in 08 with Liggins and Miller. Both are very nice players but neither will be instant impact potential. What I mean is that neither is going to come in and throw up 12 to 15 points per game as freshman. They won't likely be asked to, however. Both will fit their styles into the BCG system and both should excel. Liggins has to clear the acadeic hurdle, and I expect him to.

So what's left?

Scotty Hopson...uber-potential, especially on the AAU circuit, and is beginning to shed the "lazy" label for UHA. Partly because of their nw head coach in Randy McCoy. Frankly, the UHA coach last year may have been one of the worst in the state.

Is UK in or not with Hopson? Conflicting reports. If they are they have to make up a lot of ground. Hopson was spurned by the previous UK regime, never so much was even asked to come and visit unofficially. He pulled the trigger early for MSU. Many figured that wouldn't last and i hasn't. He maystill end up there, but maybe not. Whether or not they are will depend on Gillispie. Evidently, if you are going to recruit Hopson, it is going to be done by the head coach of the university.

Others of interest...Marvin Jefferson...JUCO big out of California.

Varez Ward...2g originally from Alabama...told Bob Gibbons that he favors UK of all the others recruiting him.

Steve Goins...big kid out of Illinois.

Tyrone Appleton...JUCO point guard.

Those are just few to keep an eye on.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reclassified to this year...

He played along Courtney Fortson, didn't he?

His name just happened to pop up regarding UK. At times, it is tough to get a gauge on who BCG is recruiting, because things are so close to the vest, news wise.

There are some rumblings out there that a few "bigs" have visited but no names have been leaked out.

He and Fortson have been playing on the same teams for about 10 years. Your favorite guy Komora raves about his defensive ability. Says he's the best perimeter defender he's ever coached. He's at the Patterson school this year, and doing very well against a tough schedule...

Forgot to add Wesley Witherspoon, from Georgia.

Don't forget the lovely and talented Leonard Washington as a prospect...he as been on the radar for a long long time according to some, but that dance has been all over the place.

As for Ward, GT, may have more info on him...I think UC may be recruiting him.

As for Komora, he and UK had a falling out, but that had more to do with Tubby, than the school itself. I wonder if those bridges have been amended with BCG at the helm and willing to work the AAU circuit.

The big guys UK are looking at probably are raw with some upside.

UK has to balance out their classes, there is certainly some issues regarding numbers in classes but that was an issue left to BCG by the previous regime. Hence the JUCO route.

UK has to balance out their classes, there is certainly some issues regarding numbers in classes but that was an issue left to BCG by the previous regime. Hence the JUCO route.

Won't JUCO's just make the balance worse?

You've already got Jasper, Harris, Meeks, Porter, Stevenson as Juniors next year. Adding JUCO's will just make that class even bigger.

Really the only big issues are the junior and sophomore classes.

I think the position balance in classes is hurting as well. You have classes full of guards, and classes full of bigs. Guards as seniors, junior is a joke (Carter), sophomores are perimeter guys and Stevenson (Coury doesnt count as he wont be on scholly after this year), and all bigs in the Freshman class.

whats the chances guys like Carter, Williams, and Porter possibly transfering so BCG can free up some roster spots for JUCO's

I could see all three transferring. Carter perhaps to a smaller Division I school, or maybe back home to Georgetown College. Williams going back somewhere (although he might be a big-man project UK keeps, if they don't land any centers). Porter making the move to a lower-Division I school.

I'm not saying it will, it just wouldn't surprise.

(Coury doesnt count as he wont be on scholly after this year)

I wish I could agree. BCG is REALLY big on this guy. I don't know whether or not him starting is for show or not, but Billy really speaks well of the guy, it seems.

Side Note: I am not a Coury fan, by any stretch of the imagination. I am just a fan of his hustle, but hustle doesn't equal scholarships.