Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Walton Girls BBall: What's the problem?

Featured Replies

Just looking for thoughts....my opinion:

 

See SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION..they wanted to take the program in a different direction 2 years ago when they relieved the previous coach of his duties and hired an inexperienced replacement. The new coach tries extremely hard it's just that the core coaching skills (basic knowledge of the game, strategy, ability to teach, ability to motivate, ability to adjust during games, etc., etc.) just aren't there...did I mention that the prior coach was relieved of his duties at the end of a season in which, I believe, he received regional & conference recognition for his performance....nice!!!

 

This WV team appears to have no motivation, desire or will to win. There was a time when this team had the ability to compete with other 8th region schools.

 

I think the school administration has achieved their goal :madman:....and then some!!! :cry:

  • Replies 221
  • Views 20.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I seem to agree... it seems as if the girls have lost a lot of heart and the confidence in their program and coaching staff to give them a game plan that enables them to have a shot at winning games. I believe the girls played hard tonight and never gave up. The coaching ability lost them the game and just about every other game they've lost this season. Watching the team the last two seasons vs. years before is heartbreaking.

Yes I seem to agree... it seems as if the girls have lost a lot of heart and the confidence in their program and coaching staff to give them a game plan that enables them to have a shot at winning games. I believe the girls played hard tonight and never gave up. The coaching ability lost them the game and just about every other game they've lost this season. Watching the team the last two seasons vs. years before is heartbreaking.

 

Very unfortunate to hear that this is happening at WV. They have always been a very strong program and it is unfortunate to hear some of what you say that seems to be happening. I have seen the same type of thing happen with various athletic programs that I have watched in recent years. When the kids give up on the coach in any sport it creates a very negative and unhealthy environment until changes are made. Sure hope things get turned around soon at WV. This should be a program that is continually on the upswing in my opinion.

Bald Guy, I picked up on this very early in the year the first couple of times I saw Walton play. You can read it in some of my earlier posts. I agree it looks like a bad situation. I mentioned after I saw them play Carroll County they didn't seem to have the knowledge to put together even a basic press break.

I'm with you Bald Guy, right now things look like a train wreck. There is absolutely no execution on offense what so ever. No good screens, no sharp cuts, no floor balance or spacing. When there is no execution then there is no one open to pass it to, thus leading to bad passes. WAY!!!! WAY!!! WAY!!! to much dribbling with their heads down not seeing the floor. All this dribbling against the press or while in the half court offense leads to more turnovers a game than you can count. Not to mention they continue to dribble directly to the right corner or baseline under the basket with nothing to do with the ball once they get there. Also I believe there is way to much defensive pressure on the ball creating the guards to get beat to the basket, this causes help defense from the post resulting in lay ups. The red team WV played could not shoot at all from the outside, but we countiued to play man to man with heavy ball pressure and over play the passing lanes. Again resulting in easy shots close to the basket. Not to mention most the team was in bad foul trouble. I thought the girls from WV played hard, but all these circumstances are hard to overcome. I hope WV can get this pulled together. Take it for what it is worth, its only my opinion.

I don't think the coach has ever taken a shot, made a turnover, or missed a rebound in a game yet. Let's give him/her a break.

Its not always about the X's and the O's, sometimes it's the Jimmy's and the Joe's.

Its not always about the X's and the O's, sometimes it's the Jimmy's and the Joe's.

 

This is girls' basketball. No Jimmy's or Joe's on the team.:D:lol:

I don't think the coach has ever taken a shot, made a turnover, or missed a rebound in a game yet. Let's give him/her a break.

 

That is very true.... however, a decent game plan is crucial in all games. These are the same girls that played two years ago and had a winning record. Maybe the girls have lost some heart. It does become hard to stay dedicated when the coach doesn't give you the tools to have a chance to win such as a simple press breaker. Losing over and over again to teams you should be beating leaves the girls frustrated and unwilling to play for their inexperienced coach.

Just looking for thoughts....my opinion:

 

See SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION..they wanted to take the program in a different direction 2 years ago when they relieved the previous coach of his duties and hired an inexperienced replacement. The new coach tries extremely hard it's just that the core coaching skills (basic knowledge of the game, strategy, ability to teach, ability to motivate, ability to adjust during games, etc., etc.) just aren't there...did I mention that the prior coach was relieved of his duties at the end of a season in which, I believe, he received regional & conference recognition for his performance....nice!!!

 

This WV team appears to have no motivation, desire or will to win. There was a time when this team had the ability to compete with other 8th region schools.

 

I think the school administration has achieved their goal :madman:....and then some!!! :cry:

I was concerned 2 years ago when the Administration released the previous coach (I believe the winningest coach in WW girl's history and he was Conference Coach of the Year) and stated they wanted to go in a new direction. Since they were already winning, what other direction did they want? I totally agree with you BaldGuy on your assessment of the situation and am very concerned about the future of the program. They do have a good crop of middle school players on the horizon but I am concerned about their development and being instilled with the will to win once they reach the high school level.

I don't claim to have any real knowledge of the situation, but surely you all aren't suggesting that the administration WANTED the program to begin to lose? There must have been a reason to go with a different coach.

I don't claim to have any real knowledge of the situation, but surely you all aren't suggesting that the administration WANTED the program to begin to lose? There must have been a reason to go with a different coach.

 

Honestly, idk. I have been with Walton (Boys and Girls) for a long time, and have seen many different things, but this whole situation blows my mind. The school went the wrong way with this. It's hurting a GREAT team, which could be one of the best this year, but now its nothing. I think there is a reason for getting this coach, and maybe didn't care if the program fell apart. I really don't have an answer but there is a reason and no one knows!

So who gets the blame? Bill Boyle?

So who gets the blame? Bill Boyle?

 

Lets call it small school politics and the "the no child left behind" phase.

So who gets the blame? Bill Boyle?

He had to approve of this "new direction". He is the Superintendent! I'm sure others were involved in the decision, but who knows who they were. I feel for the kids.:cry:

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.