Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Does High School Need a 45 second shot clock?

Featured Replies

People's cries for a shot clock are only a gross overreaction to what is perceived as a low-scoring game. Instituting a shot clock will not lead to higher-scoring games. Just lower shooting percentages and inflated rebound numbers.

 

:thumb:

 

This was to be my argument as well.

  • Replies 46
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a high school shot clock is impractical. You would have to be able to get them at every school, which would be very difficult. I think it would be bad for the development of TEAM ball as well, and players would force more bad shots and make more poor decisions than they already do. Let these boys learn how to play the game. Add the shot clock at the next level for the fans. Just my opinion. ESPN and the influence of the NBA have already done severe damage to the development of players. Think about how many times you see sloppy shots go up, or horrible passes, or poor defense. There are not many kids that can knock down the mid range jumper anymore. Why? Because all they see on TV highlights are dunks and threes. No defense? Poor passing? Watch the NBA. There is nothing like high school basketball. We should protect it.

 

:thumb:

WHY?

 

For the 2-3 possessions per game that someone actually holds the ball for 45 seconds?

 

Count at the next boys or girls game you go to, in which either team HAS the ball for 45 seconds. I bet it will be less than 8 times COMBINED.

 

 

Many good points in this thread, and I agree no shot clock at the high school level for a multitude of reasons.

 

I chose to quote this post, because it's clear, and right to the heart of the matter:thumb:. Who holds the ball for 45 seconds, or even 35 seconds per possession anyway? It happens maybe four times a game combined, before a shot, foul, or turnover.

:thumb: You may be right. That offense takes skill, good passing and diciplne, also takes a lot of thinking and reading what the defense is doing as to what you are going to do with the ball.

Not to say there is not a team that does not have the capability to run it but you are right, there are key things that not just one but every player on the floor HAS to know and how and when to execute, this offense cannot have breakdowns by anyone.

 

Don't forget it takes excellent coaching also.

 

I'm against the shot clock at the HS level for most of the above mentioned reasons.

We have this discussion every year, and it seems the majority who respond are against a shot clock. I am in that group. How about a poll?

Anyone else remember the old days when the referees would make the team playing passively on defense to come out and guard somebody?

Against. I have seen tourneys where they had a 30 sec shot clock and it only came into play 1 time during the all the games. There seemed to be more trouble with the clock keeper than with the 30 sec clock expiring.

I now I will be in the vast Minority on this.

First of all I am against a shot clock on the high school level and my reasons were explained by coacharn21 in his post above, very well said coach :thumb:.

 

Now, here is where I will probably really get blasted. I am against any type of shot clock in college as well and if one "has" to be in place I would want it at much more than 45 second clock.

I like the "strategy" of holding the ball/ clock control for a Coach to use if he so well pleases. Should a Coach with a much weaker team than his opponet determine that is his teams "Only" chance at a win then I believe that he should be able to use this option.

A great example would be Pete Carril's Princeton offense. That offense is imo basketball at it's purest form. Full of screens, backscreens, backdoor cuts. Emphasis on fundamentals.....passing, rebounding and shooting. This offense imo could be ran at just about any pace. A coach could pick it up some if he felt that his team could play at that pace or he could run it like Pete Carril originally did. Carril beat some teams that were no doubt better than him with this and put a heck of a scare into several others in the NCAA's and other games as well. He dominated his conference with it (Ivy Leauge) for years. just love this offense as well as I do others and anything about basketball.

 

I agree Pete Carril's offence is great and played the right way, but it doesn't take more than 45 seconds to get a good shot. College basketball has never been better, and they have a clock. No real fan likes a slow down game anyway.

I really hate to disagree with so many people, but I would very much love to see a 35 second shot clock, 45 wouldnt change things much at all. It would make the game a little more complex and advance the high school game a notch IMO. It would require more preparation for coaches and players and would be more beneficial to kids moving on to play at the college level and overall make the game a little more interesting and exciting.

I think a 45 second clock would be good, or even 35 seconds. I hate when teams are only up 2 or 3 and they start running a stall O' I think it would be a good idea, but probably will never happen.

I agree Pete Carril's offence is great and played the right way, but it doesn't take more than 45 seconds to get a good shot. College basketball has never been better, and they have a clock. No real fan likes a slow down game anyway.

 

I agree NKU20!!! The comments above that say watching college players shooting 3 pointers and dunking the ball, no short jumpers ect..... Well that leaves the question. Don't the high scholl players want to play college so they watch on TV and .......... monkey see monkey do!!!!!!!! Shot clock good or bad if a high school player is palying a slow game his chances of colleg ball are cut done aren't they? A 45 second clock won't hurt the game in high school IMO.

I'm not against the 45-second shot clock. It would allow the offense plenty of time to run their offensive sets and prevent stall ball. The biggest problem would be at the table. Some timekeepers struggle with one clock, having another clock and another timekeeper may complicate the matter.

Does anybody ever think we see a shot clock in high school?

I think a 45 second shot clock would be good. Ideas?

 

No.

 

This is brought up every year, and I still think no. I always will too.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.