Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Does High School Need a 45 second shot clock?

Featured Replies

Does anybody ever think we see a shot clock in high school?

I think a 45 second shot clock would be good. Ideas?

  • Replies 46
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a high school shot clock is impractical. You would have to be able to get them at every school, which would be very difficult. I think it would be bad for the development of TEAM ball as well, and players would force more bad shots and make more poor decisions than they already do. Let these boys learn how to play the game. Add the shot clock at the next level for the fans. Just my opinion. ESPN and the influence of the NBA have already done severe damage to the development of players. Think about how many times you see sloppy shots go up, or horrible passes, or poor defense. There are not many kids that can knock down the mid range jumper anymore. Why? Because all they see on TV highlights are dunks and threes. No defense? Poor passing? Watch the NBA. There is nothing like high school basketball. We should protect it.

I think a high school shot clock is impractical. You would have to be able to get them at every school, which would be very difficult. I think it would be bad for the development of TEAM ball as well, and players would force more bad shots and make more poor decisions than they already do. Let these boys learn how to play the game. Add the shot clock at the next level for the fans. Just my opinion. ESPN and the influence of the NBA have already done severe damage to the development of players. Think about how many times you see sloppy shots go up, or horrible passes, or poor defense. There are not many kids that can knock down the mid range jumper anymore. Why? Because all they see on TV highlights are dunks and threes. No defense? Poor passing? Watch the NBA. There is nothing like high school basketball. We should protect it.

 

I agree 100%

Absolutely Not !

 

My initial thoughts were right in line with Coacharn's. Let's develop passing and team play. What's wrong with running through the offense 3 or 4 times? Leave the high school game alone.

Short and sweet .... NO WAY, JOSE!

WHY?

 

For the 2-3 possessions per game that someone actually holds the ball for 45 seconds?

 

Count at the next boys or girls game you go to, in which either team HAS the ball for 45 seconds. I bet it will be less than 8 times COMBINED.

People's cries for a shot clock are only a gross overreaction to what is perceived as a low-scoring game. Instituting a shot clock will not lead to higher-scoring games. Just lower shooting percentages and inflated rebound numbers.

I now I will be in the vast Minority on this.

First of all I am against a shot clock on the high school level and my reasons were explained by coacharn21 in his post above, very well said coach :thumb:.

 

Now, here is where I will probably really get blasted. I am against any type of shot clock in college as well and if one "has" to be in place I would want it at much more than 45 second clock.

I like the "strategy" of holding the ball/ clock control for a Coach to use if he so well pleases. Should a Coach with a much weaker team than his opponet determine that is his teams "Only" chance at a win then I believe that he should be able to use this option.

A great example would be Pete Carril's Princeton offense. That offense is imo basketball at it's purest form. Full of screens, backscreens, backdoor cuts. Emphasis on fundamentals.....passing, rebounding and shooting. This offense imo could be ran at just about any pace. A coach could pick it up some if he felt that his team could play at that pace or he could run it like Pete Carril originally did. Carril beat some teams that were no doubt better than him with this and put a heck of a scare into several others in the NCAA's and other games as well. He dominated his conference with it (Ivy Leauge) for years. just love this offense as well as I do others and anything about basketball.

I think high school definately needs a shot clock.

 

It would do things.

 

1) Teams like Bishop Brossart a few years ago who would hold the ball for minutes at a tim before dropping to there set would not be able to do that.

 

2) A team up by 10 with a few minutes to go would not be able to just hold the ball for 2 minutes. A shot clock would make the ends of games, and games in general, a lot more exciting

I think a high school shot clock is impractical. You would have to be able to get them at every school, which would be very difficult. I think it would be bad for the development of TEAM ball as well, and players would force more bad shots and make more poor decisions than they already do. Let these boys learn how to play the game. Add the shot clock at the next level for the fans. Just my opinion. ESPN and the influence of the NBA have already done severe damage to the development of players. Think about how many times you see sloppy shots go up, or horrible passes, or poor defense. There are not many kids that can knock down the mid range jumper anymore. Why? Because all they see on TV highlights are dunks and threes. No defense? Poor passing? Watch the NBA. There is nothing like high school basketball. We should protect it.

 

I agree:ylsuper:

 

 

 

 

Yes LBBC I agree with you too :p

I think high school definately needs a shot clock.

 

It would do things.

 

1) Teams like Bishop Brossart a few years ago who would hold the ball for minutes at a tim before dropping to there set would not be able to do that.

 

2) A team up by 10 with a few minutes to go would not be able to just hold the ball for 2 minutes. A shot clock would make the ends of games, and games in general, a lot more exciting

 

So is the purpose of HS athletics, your entertainment or a source to teach kids about execution, teamwork and discipline?

Nah, I say keep it the way it is :thumb:

I think high school definately needs a shot clock.

 

It would do things.

 

1) Teams like Bishop Brossart a few years ago who would hold the ball for minutes at a tim before dropping to there set would not be able to do that.

 

What's wrong with forcing the opposing team to play defense? If you don't like them sitting out there holding the ball, get a man up in their face and deny the passing lanes.

 

2) A team up by 10 with a few minutes to go would not be able to just hold the ball for 2 minutes. A shot clock would make the ends of games, and games in general, a lot more exciting

 

Name me any game you've seen where the scenario you mention did not end up being a boring parade to the foul line for the team with the 10-point lead. Shot clock ain't changing that …

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.