Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Does High School Need a 45 second shot clock?

Featured Replies

I haven't been to enough games to justify any type of shot clock at the HS level. The only times I really see stalling is at the end of quarters. You could take care of that by playing two halves.

  • Replies 46
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Low scoring games are more a product of poor mid range shooting, poor shot selection and poorly executed offense than teams holding on to the the ball too long.

Please leave the game alone, no shot clock. But if there is going to be a change I would love either doing away with high school three point line or move it BACK. I know the three point shot gives the smaller a guy a chance, but I prefer ball movement and guys slashing as opposed to guys just hanging around the three point line to jack up a three.

I like high school basketball the only time I think a shot clock would work is the last couple minutes of the game when a team will hold the ball and not take a shot, that becomes frustrating.

I like high school basketball the only time I think a shot clock would work is the last couple minutes of the game when a team will hold the ball and not take a shot, that becomes frustrating.

 

Not if your team is winning.

I now I will be in the vast Minority on this.

First of all I am against a shot clock on the high school level and my reasons were explained by coacharn21 in his post above, very well said coach :thumb:.

 

Now, here is where I will probably really get blasted. I am against any type of shot clock in college as well and if one "has" to be in place I would want it at much more than 45 second clock.

I like the "strategy" of holding the ball/ clock control for a Coach to use if he so well pleases. Should a Coach with a much weaker team than his opponet determine that is his teams "Only" chance at a win then I believe that he should be able to use this option.

A great example would be Pete Carril's Princeton offense. That offense is imo basketball at it's purest form. Full of screens, backscreens, backdoor cuts. Emphasis on fundamentals.....passing, rebounding and shooting. This offense imo could be ran at just about any pace. A coach could pick it up some if he felt that his team could play at that pace or he could run it like Pete Carril originally did. Carril beat some teams that were no doubt better than him with this and put a heck of a scare into several others in the NCAA's and other games as well. He dominated his conference with it (Ivy Leauge) for years. just love this offense as well as I do others and anything about basketball.

 

Absolutely correct!!:ylsuper::ylsuper:

Remember that adding a shot clock would mean adding another person to the press row, which means another chance for someone to make a mistake. Shot clock in high school = bad idea.

 

If the KHSAA did seriously consider adding a shot clock, they could play some games at college gyms with the shot clock, just to see how schools like it. But I can't see it happening.

I hate the idea. I'll probably eat my words when someone tries to play stallball on Elliott County this year, but I still hate the idea. Stallball won't work with good defensive pressure from a good team.

I like high school basketball the only time I think a shot clock would work is the last couple minutes of the game when a team will hold the ball and not take a shot, that becomes frustrating.

 

Tell the players to get up in someones face and play defense. There is such thing as 5 seconds. Plus, at the high school level tough defense will almost always eventually force a turnover.

Remember that adding a shot clock would mean adding another person to the press row, which means another chance for someone to make a mistake. Shot clock in high school = bad idea.

 

If the KHSAA did seriously consider adding a shot clock, they could play some games at college gyms with the shot clock, just to see how schools like it. But I can't see it happening.

 

 

Have enough trouble in some gyms getting someone to run the game clock properly much less add in the decision making required in resetting a shot clock. A number of gyms will not have space to put someone else at the table.

 

When it become mandatory for schools to have the wireless system used by colleges and the officials start and stop the clock then it becomes discussable.

I hate the idea. I'll probably eat my words when someone tries to play stallball on Elliott County this year, but I still hate the idea. Stallball won't work with good defensive pressure from a good team.

 

:thumb::thumb: Absolutely right Bogey! The offense I described in my earlier post is not what I would call "Stall Ball". And you are 100% correct in team that can put the proper defensive pressure on a team that they could more than likely stop the stall and "maybe" the Carill/Princeton set in it's tracks. Now, with the "Princeton" style - heavy pressure nad "overplaying" feeds right into that offense on the half court sets. The more a team playing defense overplays and take chances the more that the backdoor play/cut will work ;). Full court prerssure would put an end to it if it was sucsessful in disrupting the offensinnve team from getting in thier half court set. What you have referred to as "stall ball" is more of what I call a 4 corners like offense or something similar. The Princeton/Carril offense is not meant to stall, rather is based on paitience (not stalling) and getting a man open for a good (high pct.) shot and meant to frustrate defenses into overplaying and taking chances and is based on sound basketball fundamentals.

Tell the players to get up in someones face and play defense. There is such thing as 5 seconds. Plus, at the high school level tough defense will almost always eventually force a turnover.

 

Good Point. :thumb:

:thumb::thumb: Absolutely right Bogey! The offense I described in my earlier post is not what I would call "Stall Ball". And you are 100% correct in team that can put the proper defensive pressure on a team that they could more than likely stop the stall and "maybe" the Carill/Princeton set in it's tracks. Now, with the "Princeton" style - heavy pressure nad "overplaying" feeds right into that offense on the half court sets. The more a team playing defense overplays and take chances the more that the backdoor play/cut will work ;). Full court prerssure would put an end to it if it was sucsessful in disrupting the offensinnve team from getting in thier half court set. What you have referred to as "stall ball" is more of what I call a 4 corners like offense or something similar. The Princeton/Carril offense is not meant to stall, rather is based on paitience (not stalling) and getting a man open for a good (high pct.) shot and meant to frustrate defenses into overplaying and taking chances and is based on sound basketball fundamentals.

 

I understand. I also don't know of a team in this region (16th) with enough ball handling skills or patience to run a Princeton style offense.

I hate the idea. I'll probably eat my words when someone tries to play stallball on Elliott County this year, but I still hate the idea. Stallball won't work with good defensive pressure from a good team.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

:ylsuper::ylsuper:

 

i AGREE

I understand. I also don't know of a team in this region (16th) with enough ball handling skills or patience to run a Princeton style offense.

 

:thumb: You may be right. That offense takes skill, good passing and diciplne, also takes a lot of thinking and reading what the defense is doing as to what you are going to do with the ball.

Not to say there is not a team that does not have the capability to run it but you are right, there are key things that not just one but every player on the floor HAS to know and how and when to execute, this offense cannot have breakdowns by anyone.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.