Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Since 1990, 10 schools have won 70% of the state titles...

Featured Replies

52 of 74

 

9 Beechwood

8 Trinity

7 Highlands

5 Boyle Co

5 Danville

5 St Xavier

4 CovCath

3 Breathitt Co

3 Male

3 Mayfield

 

Do things change, or stay the same with the six divisions.

  • Replies 51
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lex. Cath. has 2 titles in 3 or 4 years don't they?

 

I think 4A will be a toss-up for years to come..... between 4 schools :D

  • Author
Lex. Cath. has 2 titles in 3 or 4 years don't they?

 

I think 4A will be a toss-up for years to come..... between 4 schools :D

 

Besides LexCath...Who are the other 3?

Things will not change with the 6 classes. The elite programs of the state don't rebuild, they reload. Thats just the way it is.

I don't think CCH has 6 since 1990. Didn't they win 2 of their 6 in the 80s?

  • Author
I don't think CCH has 6 since 1990. Didn't they win 2 of their 6 in the 80s?

 

 

Fixed

No I do not beleive things will change with the new class system.

Besides LexCath...Who are the other 3?

 

I'm guessing Boyle, Bell, and Rockcastle. And I would agree also.:D

4A would be the biggest toss up in the coming years. I think 1A and 3A will be interesting as well.

 

5A and 6A will be more of the same. The sun will rise, you will pay your taxes and X and T will dominate 6A while Highlands holds off the occasional charge from Cov Cath to be the bosses of 5A.

Lex. Cath. has 2 titles in 3 or 4 years don't they?

 

I think 4A will be a toss-up for years to come..... between 4 schools :D

If this 4A stays the same for a few years, I'll be surprised if anyone matches LexCath on a consistent basis.
52 of 74

 

9 Beechwood

8 Trinity

7 Highlands

5 Boyle Co

5 Danville

5 St Xavier

4 CovCath

3 Breathitt Co

3 Male

3 Mayfield

 

Do things change, or stay the same with the six divisions.

 

I think some of those schools will continue to win championships for some time, so I guess to that extent it stays the same. Then again, I think some of those schools may experience some drop off in the frequency of championships.

 

X, T or Male will continue to be heavy favorites to win 6A each year because at least with X and T , they have very large size advantages over almost every school in 6A (and those schools that are close to size, for some reason, just haven't gotten it).

 

Highlands and CovCath will in most years be at least serious contenders to win it in 5A (they don't have the size domination advantage that X and T do, rather they are at a size disadvantage since they play up, but the strength of their programs will in most years be able to overcome the size problem. If Highlands had stayed at 3A, I really think they'd have racked up the championships, no disrespect meant to Belfry or Central).

 

Boyle, I'm not so sure about. They still are a little unproven to me since Smith left. From what I read on here, it seems if they turned the corner this year and played some teams tough. LexCath is a very worthy opponent and could be a hindrance to Boyle continuing to racking up a lot of championship. If you were to post that list in another 5 years, LexCath may be on it, so that would be some change.

 

Danville is still pretty dang strong although they have NewCath to deal with. Depending on what happens with the coaching situation IF Bob retires and depending on if Brossart's football program starts keeping some county boys out in the county, NewCath COULD experience some drop off. If not, then in 5 years, NewCath may also be on your list. I'm not sure if Ft. Campbell just had a cinderella year or whether they'll be denying NewCath from continuing to win championships in the future.

 

Which leaves Mayfield and Breathitt. If what I've read on here is accurate, Mayfield's program has dropped a bit (due in part on changing demographics and the strong growth of soccer?). Having Beechwood in their class is going to be a major obstacle to Mayfield racking up a lot of championships in the future. Rash is evidently a pretty good coach and with that program's tradition, dedication and committment (and no soccer), I don't see Beechwood dropping off a bit. In 5 years, 3 state titles may no longer "merit" inclusion on the list. Breathitt I don't know squat about and haven't followed them that closely on this site so I can't comment.

 

What will be interesting to see is if the KHSAA changes its position on moving up. If they do change their position, I think it will definitely result in some changes to your list. It was only approved for two years with next year being the second. If they change course, it could have some affect on whether things stay the same. Highlands probably goes back to 3A and CovCath to 4A. Definitely opens things up for Dixie in 5A to start making runs. That would also open things up in 5A for BG, John Hardin and Johnson Central to start winning a lot of championships. CovCath in 4A could present big problems for Boyle "staying the same", as if LexCath is not enough of a problem. Personally I hope they don't change the moving up rule for all the reasons that I agreed with it when they first announced it. But I have to admit, I'd like to be one of the biggest schools in my class like X and T, instead of always being the smallest, as I think we'd really start winning them a lot. I think our littlevcompetition for the number of state championships with Trinity would get real interesting then.

Danville is still pretty dang strong although they have NewCath to deal with. Depending on what happens with the coaching situation IF Bob retires and depending on if Brossart's football program starts keeping some county boys out in the county, NewCath COULD experience some drop off. If not, then in 5 years, NewCath may also be on your list. I'm not sure if Ft. Campbell just had a cinderella year or whether they'll be denying NewCath from continuing to win championships in the future.

 

 

Actually a good post except for that paragraph. Danville and New Cath have had to contend with each other since 1999. Until last year's last second loss, Danville pretty much has come out on top everytime against the Breds. They have been in close games but I certainly don't see New Cath as some new road block for Danville. New Cath may go on a tear but to date they only have 2 State Titles and haven't shown that they are a better program than the Ads. At best they are on equal footing but History (the since 1990 part that this thread mentions) shows it is very much one sided that Danville may dominate this Class in years to come.

Danville and New Cath have had to contend with each other since 1999. Until last year's last second loss, Danville pretty much has come out on top everytime against the Breds. They have been in close games but I certainly don't see New Cath as some new road block for Danville. New Cath may go on a tear but to date they only have 2 State Titles and haven't shown that they are a better program than the Ads. At best they are on equal footing but History (the since 1990 part that this thread mentions) shows it is very much one sided that Danville may dominate this Class in years to come.

 

:thumb:

I think some of those schools will continue to win championships for some time, so I guess to that extent it stays the same. Then again, I think some of those schools may experience some drop off in the frequency of championships.

 

X, T or Male will continue to be heavy favorites to win 6A each year because at least with X and T , they have very large size advantages over almost every school in 6A (and those schools that are close to size, for some reason, just haven't gotten it).

 

Highlands and CovCath will in most years be at least serious contenders to win it in 5A (they don't have the size domination advantage that X and T do, rather they are at a size disadvantage since they play up, but the strength of their programs will in most years be able to overcome the size problem. If Highlands had stayed at 3A, I really think they'd have racked up the championships, no disrespect meant to Belfry or Central).

 

Boyle, I'm not so sure about. They still are a little unproven to me since Smith left. From what I read on here, it seems if they turned the corner this year and played some teams tough. LexCath is a very worthy opponent and could be a hindrance to Boyle continuing to racking up a lot of championship. If you were to post that list in another 5 years, LexCath may be on it, so that would be some change.

 

Danville is still pretty dang strong although they have NewCath to deal with. Depending on what happens with the coaching situation IF Bob retires and depending on if Brossart's football program starts keeping some county boys out in the county, NewCath COULD experience some drop off. If not, then in 5 years, NewCath may also be on your list. I'm not sure if Ft. Campbell just had a cinderella year or whether they'll be denying NewCath from continuing to win championships in the future.

 

Which leaves Mayfield and Breathitt. If what I've read on here is accurate, Mayfield's program has dropped a bit (due in part on changing demographics and the strong growth of soccer?). Having Beechwood in their class is going to be a major obstacle to Mayfield racking up a lot of championships in the future. Rash is evidently a pretty good coach and with that program's tradition, dedication and committment (and no soccer), I don't see Beechwood dropping off a bit. In 5 years, 3 state titles may no longer "merit" inclusion on the list. Breathitt I don't know squat about and haven't followed them that closely on this site so I can't comment.

 

What will be interesting to see is if the KHSAA changes its position on moving up. If they do change their position, I think it will definitely result in some changes to your list. It was only approved for two years with next year being the second. If they change course, it could have some affect on whether things stay the same. Highlands probably goes back to 3A and CovCath to 4A. Definitely opens things up for Dixie in 5A to start making runs. That would also open things up in 5A for BG, John Hardin and Johnson Central to start winning a lot of championships. CovCath in 4A could present big problems for Boyle "staying the same", as if LexCath is not enough of a problem. Personally I hope they don't change the moving up rule for all the reasons that I agreed with it when they first announced it. But I have to admit, I'd like to be one of the biggest schools in my class like X and T, instead of always being the smallest, as I think we'd really start winning them a lot. I think our littlevcompetition for the number of state championships with Trinity would get real interesting then.

 

I think I know you better than that. If you had your way, which you do most of the time, you would have the BIRDS playing 6 A and scheduling Cincinnati St. X, Elder and Colerain as fillers! :D

 

I think most of the Highlands fans enjoy and take great pride in the fact that the school is playing up two classes. I certainly enjoy the competition of 5 A football. Besides, not being in the same classification as Cov Cath would be disasterous to both programs.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.