Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Elite Programs in NKY

Featured Replies

I know it's still in the heart of the 2007 season but i would like to know what are some of the programs in NKy that are in the right direction.

  • Replies 83
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HHS, Covcath, NCC, Beechwood compete for a state title every year...

Ft Thoms Jr Football League. Going strong since 1959! :thumb:

Ft Thoms Jr Football League. Going strong since 1959! :thumb:

 

Yessss:thumb:

In addition to the "usuals" of Highlands, Beechwood, NCC and CovCath, I think Holmes and Dayton are headed in the right direction. Bellevue at times seems to be on the right track as do Boone, Ryle and Campbell County then all of a sudden, things go goofy. I thought Lloyd was, but now I'm not so sure. Newport has lost major momentum. Dixie up until the beginning of this year seemed to be an elite team, but then floundered. Over the last couple of games, they've seemed to right the ship. If they can beat CovCath and Highlands back to back, then they are definitely headed in the right direction. If they lose to CovCath, with all the seniors on the Dixie team and the preseason hype given to them, the ship may be considered dead in the water. Not moving backwards, but certainly not moving forward. If they beat CovCath and then lose to Highlands in a close game, then I would consider them to have been moving in the right direction.

In addition to the "usuals" of Highlands, Beechwood, NCC and CovCath, I think Holmes and Dayton are headed in the right direction. Bellevue at times seems to be on the right track as do Boone, Ryle and Campbell County then all of a sudden, things go goofy. I thought Lloyd was, but now I'm not so sure. Newport has lost major momentum. Dixie up until the beginning of this year seemed to be an elite team, but then floundered. Over the last couple of games, they've seemed to right the ship. If they can beat CovCath and Highlands back to back, then they are definitely headed in the right direction. If they lose to CovCath, with all the seniors on the Dixie team and the preseason hype given to them, the ship may be considered dead in the water. Not moving backwards, but certainly not moving forward. If they beat CovCath and then lose to Highlands in a close game, then I would consider them to have been moving in the right direction.

 

Dixie is arguably one of the hottest teams in NKY right now. They lost to a very good Boone squad, plastered Scott, and Hammered (to everyone's surprise) Ryle. I think they're heading in the right direction at the right time. The goal for Friday night @ Campbell is not only win, but come away healthy, and get ready to go to work for CovCath. For Dixie fans, the only thing better than beating CovCath, is beating them twice.

 

As for being an elite team, I think that until you win a State Championship you shouldn't be considered an elite team.

Dixie is arguably one of the hottest teams in NKY right now. They lost to a very good Boone squad, plastered Scott, and Hammered (to everyone's surprise) Ryle. I think they're heading in the right direction at the right time. The goal for Friday night @ Campbell is not only win, but come away healthy, and get ready to go to work for CovCath. For Dixie fans, the only thing better than beating CovCath, is beating them twice.

 

As for being an elite team, I think that until you win a State Championship you shouldn't be considered an elite team.

 

What does that really have to do with it? Past State Championships doesn't make any team this year elite. I mean if you want to go by that, then I guess I should say Ludlow is an elite team since they won a state championship in 1975...

 

However you could change that up a little bit and say if you really have a legit shot at winning the state title every year, then you are an elite program...I think thats probably what you meant anyways, but it just didn't come out that way by the way you worded it...:thumb:

 

Right now there are only 4 elite programs in NKY and they are Beechwood, NCC, Highlands, and usually CovCath...Boone Co is close to it...

I agree with all of the posts on this page. They are all valid points, however, if you really want to look at the entire program, you must look at all of the teams, not just varsity. With that in mind, Simon Kenton should so some major improvement next year since their freshmen has been stellar this year, Campbell Co. Frosh have been very good this year and should give a shot in the arm to an already positive-moving program, Highlands Frosh has had the most penalties called on them in the history of one Frosh team in a season. I witnessed over thirty penalties in a first half alone! Dale, hope you work with these boys. I am also happy to see Brossart starting a program. I know they are getting blasted right now but so did Holy Cross, Bracken, and Pendleton when they started. IMHO, I think every school should have football. Northern Kentucky overall, has become better across the board. We still have some work to do like OHIO who just posted 3 or 4 teams in USA Today top 25. Impressive. GO BIRDS!! Nibb High Football Rules!!!!!!!!!!

What does that really have to do with it? Past State Championships doesn't make any team this year elite. I mean if you want to go by that, then I guess I should say Ludlow is an elite team since they won a state championship in 1975...

 

However you could change that up a little bit and say if you really have a legit shot at winning the state title every year, then you are an elite program...I think thats probably what you meant anyways, but it just didn't come out that way by the way you worded it...:thumb:

 

Right now there are only 4 elite programs in NKY and they are Beechwood, NCC, Highlands, and usually CovCath...Boone Co is close to it...

 

Agree completely but there will never be a so-called elite team in 6A in NKY. If all the 6A schools combined to form a football team, they might have a chance to beat one of the Louisville schools but otherwise, never, IMO. If you say an elite team constitutes winning the district every yr then maybe one of them would emerge but they must be able to compete w/Louis first to be an elite team in my book. :D

Ft Thoms Jr Football League. Going strong since 1959! :thumb:

 

That is evident in the High School teams in NKY area! You guys must have GREAT jr. League/JFL program there. Imo that is where ther foundation and future great h.s. players/teams start.

Agree completely but there will never be a so-called elite team in 6A in NKY. If all the 6A schools combined to form a football team, they might have a chance to beat one of the Louisville schools but otherwise, never, IMO. If you say an elite team constitutes winning the district every yr then maybe one of them would emerge but they must be able to compete w/Louis first to be an elite team in my book. :D

 

As Lee Corso says, "Not So Fast My Friend!" Look at how great Ryle has become, Dixie, Boone, Campbell, and oh yeah, Highlands is putting a big addition onto their school, already playing up one level, if they get enough students, (though doubtful) could move up to challenge 6A. They would have the best shot right now. It all starts with youth football. Maybe some of these power schools in NKY will adopt the Highlands/Louisville mentality and have their own youth program instead of participating in larger programs like NKYFL. This way, you get more players from your community involved and interested.

As Lee Corso says, "Not So Fast My Friend!" Look at how great Ryle has become, Dixie, Boone, Campbell, and oh yeah, Highlands is putting a big addition onto their school, already playing up one level, if they get enough students, (though doubtful) could move up to challenge 6A. They would have the best shot right now. It all starts with youth football. Maybe some of these power schools in NKY will adopt the Highlands/Louisville mentality and have their own youth program instead of participating in larger programs like NKYFL. This way, you get more players from your community involved and interested.

 

 

Actually, Highlands is renovating. I don't believe we will be adding many more students. Numbers wise Highlands could never be as big as the 6A schools.

As Lee Corso says, "Not So Fast My Friend!" Look at how great Ryle has become, Dixie, Boone, Campbell, and oh yeah, Highlands is putting a big addition onto their school, already playing up one level, if they get enough students, (though doubtful) could move up to challenge 6A. They would have the best shot right now. It all starts with youth football. Maybe some of these power schools in NKY will adopt the Highlands/Louisville mentality and have their own youth program instead of participating in larger programs like NKYFL. This way, you get more players from your community involved and interested.

 

If HHS grows I can't wait to see how they would construct more classroom space:lol:! How great has Ryle become, explain that one. They had a great yr last yr(one yr) only to get spanked in the finals. Like I said, IMO, in order to be considered elite you need to start winning some state championships and win the district yr after yr. I just don't see this happening in 6A in NKY any time soon, not even if HHS went to 6A which will never happen in my lifetime. Look what happens to them when they play the big shots from across the river, they can't beat them so why would you think they can beat the Louis power houses.

 

Don't take all this the wrong way, I love HHS football but I can't put them in 6A and say they would be an elite 6A team.

What does that really have to do with it? Past State Championships doesn't make any team this year elite. I mean if you want to go by that, then I guess I should say Ludlow is an elite team since they won a state championship in 1975...

 

However you could change that up a little bit and say if you really have a legit shot at winning the state title every year, then you are an elite program...I think thats probably what you meant anyways, but it just didn't come out that way by the way you worded it...:thumb:

 

Right now there are only 4 elite programs in NKY and they are Beechwood, NCC, Highlands, and usually CovCath...Boone Co is close to it...

 

I agree , Imo a h.s. program does not necessarily have to be a past state champion to be "elite", maybe so but that is jmo.

They do imo have to be a winner year in and year out, always in contention for a district & region title and beyond. I guess what I am saying is an "Elite" program are proven winners year in and year out (state champions or not) and not just a 2,3 or 4 year span every now and then.

 

As for the teams that I highlighted, those are the teams that I am more familiar with and their traditions, I am sure that the others that you mentiion are very deserving as well, just that I am not that familiar with them as am Highlands, Beechwood and NCC. (especially Beechwood and NCC, My Raceland team sure has been beaten by them enough:irked: :D:thumb:).

Imo the "elite" teams in our immediate area are Ashland, Russell and Raceland. There are certainly others that are good programs in our area and I am just talking year in and year out good teams.

 

I ddin't mean to hi jack this thread and I apologize to anyone who may think that I have. I just love High Schol Football :thumb:

If HHS grows I can't wait to see how they would construct more classroom space:lol:! How great has Ryle become, explain that one. They had a great yr last yr(one yr) only to get spanked in the finals. Like I said, IMO, in order to be considered elite you need to start winning some state championships and win the district yr after yr. I just don't see this happening in 6A in NKY any time soon, not even if HHS went to 6A which will never happen in my lifetime. Look what happens to them when they play the big shots from across the river, they can't beat them so why would you think they can beat the Louis power houses.

 

Don't take all this the wrong way, I love HHS football but I can't put them in 6A and say they would be an elite 6A team.

 

Highlands will never be 6A sizewise in anyone's lifetime unless it moves out of Ft. Thomas.

 

As for whether we could compete for championships in 6A, I do think in certain years we could. Probably this year. I spoke to certain Male fans whom certainly think we could. I used to think that we couldn't play X and T in back to back playoff games because of our size. But having watched us play Elder and X last year, I'm not to sure of that anymore.

 

And we've beaten Trinity in the past and X also (actually the X game last year was pretty close.. while it was a two touch down loss, it was a one touchdown game most of the second half and we were winning at half). And while we lost to Elder on the scoreboard last year (I know, I know, that's all that matters to some) we had the better team and should have won the game (and I know the could have, should have stuff also). Actually every year that we've played Elder we've been extremely competitive with them, so we can certainly play with them. Don't bring up the Colerain game in 05 however. That was an old fashioned butt whipping I'll admit. But that was an unusually talented Colerain team that would have whipped every team from Ky including X and T (sorry X and T fans. You know I love you guys and respect the heck out of your programs, but a fact is a fact).

 

So I'm not sure that we couldn't occasionally win in 6A. Not near as frequently as in 5A for sure.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.