Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Varsity starters playing JV

Featured Replies

OK. I think I understand. WV asked Grant County to bring their non-Senior varsity players to play in the JV game between the 2 schools. The coach's agreed on this before the game. To me what is the big deal.

  • Replies 63
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If both schools agree to this beforehand, who cares. It's a team who does not even have a varsity team and would like to gauge how close they are to be competitive.

 

On this flipside, I can remember a certain Northern Kentucky team not having enough players for a JV team so they brought the freshman up to play offensive for JV and then play their freshman game also. Basically, they played 2 games every week.

If both schools agree to this beforehand, who cares. It's a team who does not even have a varsity team and would like to gauge how close they are to be competitive.

 

On this flipside, I can remember a certain Northern Kentucky team not having enough players for a JV team so they brought the freshman up to play offensive for JV and then play their freshman game also. Basically, they played 2 games every week.

 

Is there a problem with this? Certainly doesn't violate any KHSAA rules. Your situation is certainly much different than starters playing JV ball and I hope I don't have to explain why.

Look at it this way, if WV played varsity many of their best Juniors would be Varsity starters. So really it was fair. It is certainly better for WV than to come and play Fresh and Soph that do not start Varsity. It is a better test of their ability.

Wouldn't this fall under the Do Not Talk about Rule Violations in Thread?

My son plays for Gallatin County...he is a Soph and starts Varsity...Coach Browning only let him play down in 2 games this year, against Walton and Owen County...he only let him play then due to small rouster numbers for those games...the only other Soph to play Varsity only got to play down for those games and Carroll...Browning uses the JV games to TEACH the younger players and get them ready for the future, he is not too concerned about the record...after all, it is only our second year for Varsity Football...

Is there a problem with this? Certainly doesn't violate any KHSAA rules. Your situation is certainly much different than starters playing JV ball and I hope I don't have to explain why.

 

No, there is not a problem with this at all. In fact, it was your team Leatherneck, and I would have loved to played on that freshman team. 2 games in a week seems like fun except for the being stiff part.

 

I don't see a problem with this case as long as both schools agree. It seems to be a measuring stick to see if you are ready for varsity. I guess it would be against KHSAA rules to schedule a scrimmage instead of actually using a JV game for this?

I see no problem with this. If they are not seniors, why does it matter?

From a complete outsiders point of view, if the coaches want a competitive game and there might of been conversation before the game about the players between the coaches, then let them play. When coaches agree, then there shouldn't a problem. It's when they don't know or one team chooses to do it one way and the other team another way. There are no records kept at the KHSAA for JV as long as the teams don't exceed 10 regular season games at a single level. Here's a question-if the varsity kid had been ejected at the last varsity game, could he play in the JV? I will answer later.

 

I believe the answer is no.

 

Also, if a player is ejected from a football game, and he plays other sports (eg. basketball, baseball, etc), ... he would have to sit the first game of the next varsity sport he plays as well. Those ejections now can carry over from sport to sport.

I believe the answer is no.

 

Also, if a player is ejected from a football game, and he plays other sports (eg. basketball, baseball, etc), ... he would have to sit the first game of the next varsity sport he plays as well. Those ejections now can carry over from sport to sport.

Here is ByLaw11, which discusses the disqualifications issue.

 

http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw11.pdf

 

In short, you're a Varsity player and get ejected, your done in all games at any level for that day. Following the ejection, you will site 1 game in the Level (Varsity) of play.

 

If you're a JV player, done for the day in all levels of play. Following the ejection, you will site 1 game in the Level (JV) of play. If the season ends and no additional games, you will sit in the next sport you participate in.

Hearing Giantkiller lie all over the place is sickening. Did you ever think that maybe WV was trying to be diplomatic to Grant in that phone convo? When the head Varsity coach shows up with play sheet in hand, and after the JV team gets run all over they call for their 1st string, and from then on it's a different game.. Come on.... I personally don't have an issue with Grant doing this, but how does that bode for Grant? Their Varsity team for next year almost got beat by a 1a start-up school, where atleast half of the players had never played football until this past season... Kudos to WV for playing their heart out against this team. JV ended up 5-4 and Frosh ended up 6-3. That has to be very uplifting for the coaches going into next year.

I have a good jv story from the stone age if anyone wants to hear it.

I can't believe no one wants to hear my story my feelings are hurt.

I can't believe no one wants to hear my story my feelings are hurt.
I'll listen, since I can relate to the "stone age" part of life.....:lol:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.