October 24, 200718 yr The immediate observation that comes to mind from reading this thread is that the only truely predictable thing is...... TheDeuce.
October 24, 200718 yr The immediate observation that comes to mind from reading this thread is that the only truely predictable thing is...... TheDeuce. :sssh::sssh: :ylsuper:
October 24, 200718 yr I heard it was going to take 6 years to build. If I was UK I would try to get 100,000 seats. I know they will fill the place.
October 24, 200718 yr Glad to hear this, IMO UK is in need of a much bigger arena, no matter how many seats were there i believe the Big Blue Faithful could fill it up. I'd still like to see it called Rupp Arena of course..
October 24, 200718 yr http://www.heraldleader.com/454/story/210997.html The University of Kentucky was not actively pushing for a new downtown basketball arena, but UK is pleased that the city is exploring the idea of a replacement for the aging Rupp Arena, a UK athletics official said yesterday. "Rupp Arena is a great home. We're not at their door banging to get a new one, but it's a building that's starting to show its age a little bit," said Scott Stricklin, a UK athletics department spokesman. "I think they're wise to look down the road at the next chapter." City officials, who announced on Monday that they have started planning for a new downtown arena, also said UK did not force the move. It resulted from two actions: a recommendation in the Downtown Master Plan calling for mixed use with residential and commercial development on the 32-acre High Street surface parking lot used for Rupp Arena events, and the newly available "tax increment financing" approved by the legislature for cities to use to redevelop depressed areas.
October 24, 200718 yr In today's Kentucky Kernel (UK student paper), Harold Tate, president/exec of the Downtown Development Authority said that the replacement of Rupp could take up to 5 years.
October 24, 200718 yr They can build all the new arenas they want but it should always have the name of the great Adolph Frederick Rupp attached to it. I have thought for the last ten years somebody would cave into pressure and change the name of the current arena because of the controversy surrounding the man. All kentuckians should pay a great respect for this man because he has had more influence on this state than any other individual! For my opinion the current arena is fine and when it was built in 1976 was probably ten or fifthteen years ahead of its time, this arena if you think is the trailblazer for the current American sports arena. Um, I admire your enthusiasm, but I think I'll give either Henry Clay or Daniel Boone this nod.
October 24, 200718 yr Call over to Lexington Cemetary and ask who's grave gets the most attention Rupp or Clay, it will be Rupp hands down. For Clay that's sad since you can probably see his from Paris!
October 25, 200718 yr Um, I admire your enthusiasm, but I think I'll give either Henry Clay or Daniel Boone this nod. Add Simon Kenton to that list as well.
October 25, 200718 yr How long would it take before we actually watched a game in the new arena, 2010, that would be fast too, probably more like 2012 or so.
October 25, 200718 yr Call over to Lexington Cemetary and ask who's grave gets the most attention Rupp or Clay, it will be Rupp hands down. For Clay that's sad since you can probably see his from Paris! So, visits to their gravesite is the qualifications? I guess that makes Elvis the biggest influence on this country over such people as Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson, etc, etc. And for the record dealing with athletics, he wasn't even the most influential person associated with athletics from KY. That honor would belong to Ali.
October 27, 200718 yr How about pulling up all the bleachers in Commonwealth, remodeling the interior again, enclose the outside, get one of those special fabric roofs, put down concrete with field turf for football, rearrange the seating for basketball, and call it the Bourbon Dome or the like. Move the basketball museum and ad other UK sports to it also and there would be your on campus facility Rick and Tubby wanted. LOL! Though somebody has probably got a feasability study stuck in drawer somewhere where this was disscussed in a past athletics meeting.
October 28, 200718 yr That's a laugher comparing Adolph Rupp and Ali for significance in Kentucky, without Adolph Rupp Kentucky has no: no 24,000 seat arena, no economic windfall that comes from this arena, none of the pride that the flagship university gives the entire state population. Adolph Rupp gave all Kentuckians a source of pride and kinship to something to take away the doldrums of: poor education, poor social standards and this states inability to break through the negativity of our Appalachian region. As for Mr. Ali he doesn't even reside in this state and probably hasn't for 40 years, so the only thing he has given any Kentuckian is a center bearing his name that can't keep itself financially solvent.
October 28, 200718 yr If they build it in the parking lot where are people going to park for the next five years??????:confused::confused::confused:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.