Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Independent's Super 7

Featured Replies

What the heck?

 

Hey now I was making a funny!

 

Super Seven includes Area "High School" varsity teams, not any middle school team or a freshmen team.

 

Yup looks like our senses of humor were left at home this fine Monday! :lol:

 

I didn't forget them in my version of the poll, I just don't think that they deserve to be there right now. Like I said, you have to win some games that you should not have won. East and West have done that. I also think that a team with one or two wins, at this point in the season, being put in the "Super 7" makes North-Eastern Kentucky football look pretty weak.

 

Strength of schedule, record, wins/losses in district play, overachieving, and head to head competition should all be factors in the poll, in my opinion. School size should not be a factor in my opinion.

 

I pretty much agree here, but I still think they deserve to be in the Poll of Mediocrity.

 

Does anyone really know how they come up with this list? It sure is not based on win loss record. Does it have anything to do with what class they are in? No not that. How about who they think can beat the other. No can't be that because of the East West thing. What is the logic?

 

I was told once by someone who once graced the pages of the ADI that it was mostly one person. And sometimes a live chimpanzee on loan from Petland. :thumb:

 

It looks bad to who? Let me ask you this. How many of the teams ranked below Ashland do you honestly feel would beat Ashland?

 

On a good day I think Fairview, East, and West Carter could all beat Ashland. I am not overly impressed with them like some people. They have one of the best running backs in the region, too bad they stuck him at Quarterback the first half of the season. That move may have cost them their shot at the playoffs. Wins over a 1 win Boyd and a dysfunctional Greenup don't impress me.

  • Replies 115
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, strength of schedule should play a part of the rankings. Ashland has played a strong schedule. But, results on the field has to be a factor also. Ashland has had trouble this year, every program has a down year occasionally. Ashland had a chance to win several games this year, and just could not do it. Just a down year. Ashland could have won the Raceland game, the Russell game, and the Pikeville game, but could not make the big plays. Ashland's schedule has been tough, but sometimes you have to win games that you could have lost.

 

Johnson Central is clearly the best team in North-Eastern Kentucky, they have played a strong schedule and won some games that most people thought they may loose. Wheelersburg and Louisville Central were big wins that Central could have lost and no one would have said much.

 

Russell is clearly second. Russell has only lost one game to a much larger school and have won games, that I am sure people with the program, would say they could have easily lost.

 

Raceland has a strong argument for third. Raceland has beaten several larger schools in Greenup Co and Ashland. They have been beaten by LCA, who would beat most of the schools in North-Eastern Kentucky, and East Carter who is a bigger school that simply out played Raceland.

 

Fairview is a better team then most people think and could easily be number four. Their schedule has been somewhat weak in the out of district portion, but has done well on the field and deserves to be acknowledged. Could they beat Ashland? Maybe, maybe not, I'm not sure.

 

East Carter and West Carter, have won some games that many people thought they would lose. East beat Raceland and deserved to win. West beat East in a game that not many people would have picked West to win.

 

Ashland, Boyd Co, Greenup Co, Lawrence Co, Rowan Co, Paintsville (weak early schedule, will have trouble in the remainer of the season), and Morgan Co are having trouble this year. Nothing against any of these programs, they are just going to have trouble putting games away.

 

Lewis Co, is down with low numbers, hats off the their players and coaches for doing what they can, but they are just not going to win. Nothing against them they can not compete.

 

You should go look at Lawrence Co. schedule, how can you say it's weak?

Hey now I was making a funny!

 

 

 

Yup looks like our senses of humor were left at home this fine Monday! :lol:

 

 

 

I pretty much agree here, but I still think they deserve to be in the Poll of Mediocrity.

 

 

 

I was told once by someone who once graced the pages of the ADI that it was mostly one person. And sometimes a live chimpanzee on loan from Petland. :thumb:

 

 

 

On a good day I think Fairview, East, and West Carter could all beat Ashland. I am not overly impressed with them like some people. They have one of the best running backs in the region, too bad they stuck him at Quarterback the first half of the season. That move may have cost them their shot at the playoffs. Wins over a 1 win Boyd and a dysfunctional Greenup don't impress me.

 

 

You just wanted to use the multi quote function didn't you? :lol:

You just wanted to use the multi quote function didn't you? :lol:

 

 

Yes! :banana:

Trust me, that's a guess. I have no idea, but it makes the most sense to me.

 

Sounds reasonable to me, we will go with that one for all it matters. :D:thumb:

  • Author
And who would that one person be?

I don't have a person in mind, just sometimes it seems as if one person does it, without others voting.

Much smaller schools also you have to remember that.

I don't think the size of the school should matter. If a 5A team is loosing then they should drop, if a 1A school is doing well they should move up, if the strength of schedule and record demands it.

Hey now I was making a funny!

I know, you just caught me off guard, Ashland apologized! Come on. :D

I pretty much agree here, but I still think they deserve to be in the Poll of Mediocrity.

I think they deserve the seventh spot.

1. Johnson Central

2. Russell

3. Raceland

4. Fairview

5. West Carter

6. East Carter

7. Ashland

 

 

 

I was told once by someone who once graced the pages of the ADI that it was mostly one person. And sometimes a live chimpanzee on loan from Petland. :thumb:

 

 

Not now!! I heard that they sold the Chimp so now it is up to the monkey to do it all. :scared::sssh::sssh:

(j/k, please no one from the D.I. raid my house :D)

East Nor West should be ranked above Ashland.

  • Author
Ashland, Boyd Co, Greenup Co, Lawrence Co, Rowan Co, Paintsville (weak early schedule, will have trouble in the remainer of the season), and Morgan Co are having trouble this year. Nothing against any of these programs, they are just going to have trouble putting games away.

 

You should go look at Lawrence Co. schedule, how can you say it's weak?

 

I didn't say Lawrence had a weak early schedule, I said Paintsville had a weak early schedule. I do not think that Lawrence had a weak schedule. Look back in the preseason I picked Lawrence to win their district.

To be fair its just not be a good year for football in our area. Ashland, Boyd Co. and Lawrence Co. have all struggled this year thats why there is so much debate about who should be over who. IMO Ashland is better than either East or West Carter, but you cant look at records to defend that.

East Nor West should be ranked above Ashland.

 

Why not? East and West are not playing to bad, they have a couple of wins and are doing pretty well in their district. Possibly 3rd and 4th spot. What has Ashland done to deserve any better?

East Nor West should be ranked above Ashland.

 

Imo neither should Fairview. By record, yes. I just think that Ashland is better than Fairview. JMO

To be fair its just not be a good year for football in our area. Ashland, Boyd Co. and Lawrence Co. have all struggled this year thats why there is so much debate about who should be over who. IMO Ashland is better than either East or West Carter, but you cant look at records to defend that.

 

:thumb: Imo this is a fair statment.

  • Author
To be fair its just not be a good year for football in our area. Ashland, Boyd Co. and Lawrence Co. have all struggled this year thats why there is so much debate about who should be over who. IMO Ashland is better than either East or West Carter, but you cant look at records to defend that.

 

You are correct. As has been said, this means nothing, just for discussion, but some just take it to serious and get upset. Some teams are doing good, and some are having a bad year, that is part of high school football. In years past I have seen teams above teams that had they had lost to. Does that mean that one team is better? No. Just one person's, or paper's, opinion. Just like we will have 100 different opinions on BGP.

My guess is that the sports staff probably just ranks the teams from 1-7 with the 1st place team getting 7 points, 2nd place getting 6 points, etc...... all the way to 7th place getting one point. They would then tally up all the points and have their ranking.

 

Maybe they can't add and that's the problem. I'll send them a calculator.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.