Billy G Getting Desperate For Post Help?

gametime

When Kentucky calls, most recruits pick up the phone.

But that wasn't the case when Kentucky called Hutchinson Community College last week to inquire about center Abdul Herrera.

Hutchinson coach Ryan Swanson has made it clear from the beginning that Kansas State will get the first chance to sign the 6-foot-11 post man, and everyone else will have to wait until the Wildcats make their decision.

"He's (K-State's) to turn down," Swanson said. "No one else going to recruit him until they tell me yes or no."

Coach Frank Martin was in Hutchinson two weeks ago to scout Herrera, but the Wildcats have yet to extend a scholarship offer.

"If they want to take their time to evaluate, if that means he waits until spring to sign, that's OK," Swanson said. "They can take as much time as they need."

Herrera and Martin have a history, dating back to Martin's days as an assistant for Bob Huggins at Cincinnati.

http://www.cjonline.com/stories/100507/cat_205417872.shtml

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will trust Billy G. until I see a reason not to... So far he's been here since April and already done some great recruiting... I don't think we will really see what he can do til 2010 though... That's when he will really have some solid relationships built, and have a good amount of scholarships to work with.

I think he has something up his sleeve for 08 though.

Player. Martin was the guy that got him to UC, and the fact he hasn't jumped says enough...

That may be true, but Swanson was an ego-maniac when he was at St. Catharine (KY) too... I would bet that Swanson and Martin have had discussions regarding K-State placing other non-qualifying players at Hutch as long as Swanson would deliver them back... I don't blame Swanson, but let's not be naive and think he's just acting on behalf of the kid...

That may be true, but Swanson was an ego-maniac when he was at St. Catharine (KY) too... I would bet that Swanson and Martin have had discussions regarding K-State placing other non-qualifying players at Hutch as long as Swanson would deliver them back... I don't blame Swanson, but let's not be naive and think he's just acting on behalf of the kid...

Abdul was brought to UC by Martin, and it was part of the reason Huggs hired him in the first place. If Martin is holding off, that should tell you enough...