Evarts 44 Pineville 14

dragon_slayer

Think of the kids that wont even play at the big school....its heartbreaking! High school football is not about winning and losing, its about developing work ethic, character, discipline, teamwork, working toward a goal, learning how to deal with losses, learning to be graceful in victory, and a thousand other positives that are learned on the field, regardless of the wins or losses. Just think how many of the kids playing this year at Evarts, Cawood, and Cland that wouldnt even be on the team when they realized that their playing time would be very little if any. I think we sometimes forget that the schools are there for the kids, not the other way around. Its a very sad situation.

:thumb:

Opening the new school without all of the facilities that were being promoted around during the construction debates is a HUGE mistake! As of now, Cawood's facilities will be used for the games and practice. Just where are are these JV, B-Team and Frosh teams supposed to practice while the varsity is practicing? If the school opens before its ready, the money for all of the promoted sports programs will never come. Soccer, a swim team, a golf team is still a dream away. I thought the new school was for the kids???

The team practices together I would imagine. The JV and frosh work with the varsity and dress out for varsity games but play separate games. At least that's the way it used to work when we had freshmen and JV teams in the county.

Cawood does have a practice field, plus the regular field and the baseball field together. I still think the chances are good though that they'll have a football field ready at Harlan County High School.

I did notice the Pineville player appear to be taunting the crowd.

There are lessons to be learned everywhere, such as waiting your turn and not quitting if you don't start on Day 1 or competing for a starting job instead of having it handed to you because there are no other options or learning to work with new teammates.

Too many young players have been rushed the last few years. There are no freshman teams in the county now and very limited JV action. Plus, you won't have to play as many both ways. There are lots of ways to get plenty of players on the field.

You make valid points and we have discussed this many times. Im not talking about starters waiting their turn, Im talking about the "marginal" player that would never experienced HS football had it not been at a small school. Many players will achieve anywhere but I have had them that I could not have got on the field at a big school. Freshman and JV ball are great for young ones, but what happens to that senior thats been there 4 years. I could make a roll player out of him at the small school but what happens to him at the big school?

You make valid points and we have discussed this many times. Im not talking about starters waiting their turn, Im talking about the "marginal" player that would never experienced HS football had it not been at a small school. Many players will achieve anywhere but I have had them that I could not have got on the field at a big school. Freshman and JV ball are great for young ones, but what happens to that senior thats been there 4 years. I could make a roll player out of him at the small school but what happens to him at the big school?

What you are saying is true, and I do feel for the kids who won't have the opportunities they would at a smaller school. However, in football, the team is bigger than one person. I imagine those kids will have roles on the special teams units. That is just the way it works. This county needs an upgrade. I hope I'm not the only one in Harlan who wants a state title to come to the town, whether it be Cawood, Evarts, Harlan, Cumberland, or the new high school. We need success.