Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Minor-Leaguer Suspended, Arrested After On-Field Bat Attack

Featured Replies

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,293422,00.html

 

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. — Jose Offerman was hit by a fastball, charged the mound with his bat and swung at least twice, striking the opposing pitcher and catcher.

 

Offerman, playing for the Long Island Ducks, was arrested on assault charges. The independent Atlantic League suspended him indefinitely Wednesday and expected to make a final decision by the end of the week.

 

Bridgeport catcher John Nathans got a concussion that's likely to sideline him for the rest of the season. Pitcher Matt Beech wound up with a broken finger.

  • Replies 34
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds bad but I'm suprised it hasn't happened more. I was thinking about Clemmens the other day. If a pitcher can intentionally hit you with a ball 90+ miles per hour a foot from your head then I don't have much of a problem for you going postel on them. If it was intentional that is.

It sounds bad but I'm suprised it hasn't happened more. I was thinking about Clemmens the other day. If a pitcher can intentionally hit you with a ball 90+ miles per hour a foot from your head then I don't have much of a problem for you going postel on them. If it was intentional that is.

Could have been. He hit a homer his last at bat.

Hard to believe also, seeing as Offerman was a long time major leaguer. You would think he would know how to control his anger. He will probably never step foot on a field again.

If you get hit, may not like it but part of the game. Under no circumstances, is the bat ever used as a weapon....

I like how Offerman said essentially that it was the catcher's fault for getting injured because Offerman was only trying to get the pitcher.

Offerman seems to be a little mental. I mean geez its just a part of baseball, take it like a man and walk down the base path!

He should be banned from organized baseball, as a player and a coach...

Sounds like he's crazy. I can understand being upset, but why use the bat?

He should be banned from organized baseball, as a player and a coach...

 

And thrown in jail, a bat can do some serious damage.

Does anybody know the punishment that James Pouncy faced years ago with his incident?

If you get hit, may not like it but part of the game. Under no circumstances, is the bat ever used as a weapon....

:thumb: :thumb:

It sounds bad but I'm suprised it hasn't happened more. I was thinking about Clemmens the other day. If a pitcher can intentionally hit you with a ball 90+ miles per hour a foot from your head then I don't have much of a problem for you going postel on them. If it was intentional that is.

 

That's fine if you feel you need to defend yourself--but you don't take the bat out there with you. It was especially unjustified in Offerman's case as he was hit in the calf.

I'm sorry, but if a pitcher is allowed to use a weapon, the baseball, and intentionally throw at the batter, I see no problem with the batter taking his bat out to defend himself.

Perhaps we should place Offerman and Vick in a pit and let them fight it out with bats. That should satisfy both of their bloodlust--winner goes to prison!

 

:jump: :ylsuper: :thumb:

I'm all for whipping the pitcher, just make sure you drop the bat first!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.