May 21, 200719 yr I just don't like UK doing this to Travis and UMass. It makes it worse that it isn't just a random coach or program, it's a guy with lots of ties to the Kentucky..... Didn't Barnhart do the same thing to Temple in football? Barnhart was quoted as saying this is the first basketball contract UK has backed out of in the five years he's been in Lexington. I hate to see them drop the game, just because playing in Boston would be a cool experience.
May 21, 200719 yr Let me get this straight, Rick Pitino's first order of business after getting to Louisville was to back-out of a contract to play (in-state school, mind you) Western. Everyone (read: some UL fans) says it is no big deal and that he is looking out for the best interest of his program. However, BCG does the same thing to UMASS and it is bush league and a bad move on Mitch and Billy's part? Perfect.
May 21, 200719 yr The UMass game was close last year.....I would rather the Cats travel to Boston to play a solid team then play High Point at home.......and why not help out one of your own at the same time?
May 21, 200719 yr Maybe Mitch doesn't want to get beat by a guy that he passed up for the job..... Wouldn't happen.....UMass lost a lot this year. Mitch didn't pass up Ford either, he had better more qualified candidates that he went after. I hate how people think that just because Ford played at UK, that they owe him something.
May 21, 200719 yr The UMass game was close last year.....I would rather the Cats travel to Boston to play a solid team then play High Point at home.......and why not help out one of your own at the same time? That's not what your original post said. You originally said, "Maybe Mitch doesn't want to get beat by a guy that he passed up for the job.....", which is just ridiculous. Yes, I would much rather see them go to Boston and play a good Massachusetts squad with a Kentucky boy as coach. But "fearing" UMass because "supposedly" Barnhart passed over Ford for Gillispie (any evidence of that, chief?) is asinine.
May 21, 200719 yr Wouldn't happen.....UMass lost a lot this year. Mitch didn't pass up Ford either, he had better more qualified candidates that he went after. I hate how people think that just because Ford played at UK, that they owe him something. Agreed. UK has never hired a UK guy for the basketball position and every hire they've made has been a good one (at the time, at least. See: Eddie Sutton!). Why people thought Ford/Pelphrey were the best for the job, with limited credentials, only because they played at Kentucky is beyond me.
May 21, 200719 yr Let me get this straight, Rick Pitino's first order of business after getting to Louisville was to back-out of a contract to play (in-state school, mind you) Western. Everyone (read: some UL fans) says it is no big deal and that he is looking out for the best interest of his program. However, BCG does the same thing to UMASS and it is bush league and a bad move on Mitch and Billy's part? Perfect. :thumb:
May 21, 200719 yr Agreed. UK has never hired a UK guy for the basketball position and every hire they've made has been a good one (at the time, at least. See: Eddie Sutton!). Why people thought Ford/Pelphrey were the best for the job, with limited credentials, only because they played at Kentucky is beyond me. I never said Travis should have been the next coach at UK; he was simply a candidate with a resume not good enough for UK (and that's fair enough). Kentucky backing out of this game isn't a big deal, they would most likely beat UMass or whoever they insert into that spot...I just think it looks bad to do this late, and to do it to a former player. Does it happen...yeah, is it right...no.
May 21, 200719 yr Let me get this straight, Rick Pitino's first order of business after getting to Louisville was to back-out of a contract to play (in-state school, mind you) Western. Everyone (read: some UL fans) says it is no big deal and that he is looking out for the best interest of his program. However, BCG does the same thing to UMASS and it is bush league and a bad move on Mitch and Billy's part? Perfect. Isn't JS the only non UK guy in here???
May 21, 200719 yr Author :sleep: :sleep: Non-issue. I never said it was a huge issue, but ESPN felt like it was worthy enough to put in the headlines on the front page of their website. So I thought I would post it on here to see if I could get a reaction, obviously it worked.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.